follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #309
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So now it's faulty cylinder heads? Ha ha.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #310
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
So now it's faulty cylinder heads? Ha ha.

I don't know your native language but and/or means either or, not necessarily both. Remember the only thing we have from Subaru is a serious TSB involving cylinder head to cam shaft sensor shimming, a service no Scion dealership around here is capable of. And of course nothing from Toyota.

What we consumers have for hard data are loud detonation, knocks, blown seals, rods and holes in cylinder heads. Of course there is much speculation which is what forums are for, especially in the vacuum Toyota as left us consumers with for 6 months.

You obviously are 100% sure the South Aftrican field service memo addresses the issue. So not sure why you keep checking these threads ? Did you flash a corrected ignition retard table and void your warranty? Worried even a little ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #311
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Yes. The dealer probably won't touch it till it throws a rod so I agree we need a good FAQ or video.

As far as build dates I know both of CsgMike's engines were late summer last year and mine as well. So July/August. What is your build date?

The other thing to consider is if the issue is a head machining/tolerance problem, it may make more sense to let it go and total the engine rather than replacing O-rings ever 5k-20k miles. I don't think there have been any '13 build dates with the problem ?
What?? If it was a single pop I wouldnt worry at all. Youll hear subtle microexlposions in higher rpms under WOT A good while before your DIs go completely kaput. 1 single pop is not a sign. Atleast was not for me at all.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #312
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I don't know your native language but and/or means either or, not necessarily both. Remember the only thing we have from Subaru is a serious TSB involving cylinder head to cam shaft sensor shimming, a service no Scion dealership around here is capable of. And of course nothing from Toyota.
Does Scion not have that service bulletin? I only know the Subaru side of it.

It's not the cylinder heads, though. The cam sensors are mounted to the chain cover. The issue is greater than expected runout in the cam sensor wheel mounted at the front of the cam sprockets and/or incorrect cam sensor mounting height. The bulletin calls for shims to be added to increase the gap, but from what I hear, some chain covers have required machining because the gap is too large. This is an issue with all early F-series engines, not just the FA20.

I don't believe this issue would result in detonation or DI seal failure. If the cam sensor isn't getting a clean reading, it's more likely to not inject fuel and/or not fire the ignition coil, resulting in a misfire. My car was manufactured before the countermeasure, so if it acts up, I'll be sure to make a detailed post about the problem and repair.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #313
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
What?? If it was a single pop I wouldnt worry at all. Youll hear subtle microexlposions in higher rpms under WOT A good while before your DIs go completely kaput. 1 single pop is not a sign. Atleast was not for me at all.
Sorry maybe i was a bit lax on my details. It was not just a one time pop, its still happening. Its a random pop, i cant reproduce it on demand but it will randomly pop from time to time, most often during a 5th gear 3000rpm downshift to 4th gear while revmatching with a short blip of the throttle(free rev). The pop occurs during the innitial throttle on, typicaly you can hear the intake suck in but it randomly produces a pop sound at the same time.

Ill try to stick a go pro in my engine bay and go for a drive today and see if i can catch the sound.

I understand i still have thousands of miles to go before anything catastrophic occurs. And trust me its not going to affect my joyouse driving experience. Im just trying to verify this is related to the direct injector, and isnt some other sound. Id pull my injectors today and look at them if i had the seals or new injectors to put back in.
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #314
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
Sorry maybe i was a bit lax on my details. It was not just a one time pop, its still happening. Its a random pop, i cant reproduce it on demand but it will randomly pop from time to time, most often during a 5th gear 3000rpm downshift to 4th gear while revmatching with a short blip of the throttle(free rev). The pop occurs during the innitial throttle on, typicaly you can hear the intake suck in but it randomly produces a pop sound at the same time.

Ill try to stick a go pro in my engine bay and go for a drive today and see if i can catch the sound.

I understand i still have thousands of miles to go before anything catastrophic occurs. And trust me its not going to affect my joyouse driving experience. Im just trying to verify this is related to the direct injector, and isnt some other sound. Id pull my injectors today and look at them if i had the seals or new injectors to put back in.
Yeah all you have to do is press the throttle in and if you hear constant popping that's your DI's.. if its during shifting I would worry at all. When I go from 3rd to 2nd at 40 mph I will Rarely get a muffled single pop from under the car if that's what you are referring to.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #315
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
Yeah all you have to do is press the throttle in and if you hear constant popping that's your DI's.. if its during shifting I would worry at all. When I go from 3rd to 2nd at 40 mph I will Rarely get a muffled single pop from under the car if that's what you are referring to.

heres the sound in question, i took two 19 minute videos in wich time it made this noise 5-6 times(one time is iffy as engine rpm drowns it out)

this video was 4 minutes 40 seconds into my first video, just cruising the streets in my neighborhood with no "aggressive" driving. i was coming to a stop sign and heel toed from 3rd to 2nd @ ~3200 rpm. i heard it clear as day in the car too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpHZZpgccF0"]i dont know how to embed[/ame]

what are your thoughts?
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #316
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wanted to add this here for people subscribed about removal and install of the seals:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42849

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeO4rBwuQ4"]Scion FR-S BRZ Direct Injector Seal Replacement | Problems and Issues - YouTube[/ame]
Carwhisperer (07-29-2013), diirk (10-15-2014), djdnz (07-30-2013), frsvr4 (08-01-2013), kodyo (07-29-2013), lazyluka (07-29-2013), Lonewolf (07-28-2013), Luis_GT (07-29-2013), mwjcyber (07-29-2013), sato (10-02-2014), tracerit (06-18-2016)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #317
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Wanted to add this here for people subscribed about removal and install of the seals:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42849

Looks fun, think I'll try this after diner.

Seriously though, thank you for producing this!
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #318
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
wow...what a royal pain the in ass! that's for taking the time to do this...very, very interesting.

One quick question for anyone, why do the DIs have a specific number (e.g.#2 in the video). Aren't all the DIs for this car the same???
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #319
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
wow...what a royal pain the in ass! that's for taking the time to do this...very, very interesting.

One quick question for anyone, why do the DIs have a specific number (e.g.#2 in the video). Aren't all the DIs for this car the same???

He said in the video that it could be 1, 2 or 3 for these cars. The decision is made at time of build. Not sure why. But if you get, say, a 2, then on your car all four will be 2.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #320
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
He said in the video that it could be 1, 2 or 3 for these cars. The decision is made at time of build. Not sure why. But if you get, say, a 2, then on your car all four will be 2.
Yes but what is the difference between the ones that are 1, 2 and 3??
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #321
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I wonder if there's any chance we can find out which DI type we have by VIN....

If they can cut me a key from my VIN I can't imagine this would be too much to ask for.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #322
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
heres the sound in question, i took two 19 minute videos in wich time it made this noise 5-6 times(one time is iffy as engine rpm drowns it out)

this video was 4 minutes 40 seconds into my first video, just cruising the streets in my neighborhood with no "aggressive" driving. i was coming to a stop sign and heel toed from 3rd to 2nd @ ~3200 rpm. i heard it clear as day in the car too.

what are your thoughts?
Haha, I get that noise all the time. It reminds me of the suction noise off a cold air intake.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote