follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Nitemare15

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacing/Upgrading Transmission

Hey guys, I'm new here and I got this car back in March (2015 FR-S). This is the first car that I've owned where I want to do modifications. I've owned bikes and done quite a bit of mechanical work on those, but this is another monster entirely.

I'm looking to install a supercharger in the near future (year or so), but I want to make sure my transmission is where it needs to be before I do that. I've heard a lot of good things about Jack's Transmission. I was told that if I'm going to be doing any kind of boost, that I may want to look into a performance rebuild as well as WPC treatment and CF synchros.

I plan on buying a used transmission from eBay and shipping it to Jack's so I'm not without my car while I wait on the transmission to be rebuild. Is there a specific year that I should be looking for? And obviously I should try and find low mileage/undamaged. I'll be pulling the transmission myself with the oversight of an experienced mechanic. I want to make sure I don't miss anything. Can you guys give me suggestions on what other parts I may want to replace/look into while I have the transmission pulled?
Nitemare15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
You definitely don't need to do anything to your transmission for a supercharger
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Nitemare15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You definitely don't need to do anything to your transmission for a supercharger
Gotcha, that's not the only reason I'm doing a rebuild. I'd like the added reliability and smooth shifting that comes along with it.

I think the previous owner either didn't know how to shift or was terribly rough because I am starting to have issues with 4th and 5th gear. I was told that it's a synchro issue and would require a rebuild. I figure if I'm going to rebuild it, I might as well make it bulletproof while I'm at it. Especially since I plan on adding more power.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Understandable if you need a rebuild, but you're not going to improve the torque capacity or make the trans bulletproof with your current plans. Excessive power tends to destroy the actual gears, which is expensive to remedy and most end up converting to a different trans. As noted, you "should" be fine with a typical supercharger build though.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare15 View Post
Gotcha, that's not the only reason I'm doing a rebuild. I'd like the added reliability and smooth shifting that comes along with it.

I think the previous owner either didn't know how to shift or was terribly rough because I am starting to have issues with 4th and 5th gear. I was told that it's a synchro issue and would require a rebuild. I figure if I'm going to rebuild it, I might as well make it bulletproof while I'm at it. Especially since I plan on adding more power.
To be honest, a transmission that was assembled at the factory will be more reliable than one that has been torn down and rebuilt. That's just my opinion though.

I would try changing the transmission fluid a few times with something like the Motul fluid. I used to have a persistent 4th gear grind if I shifted into it at high RPM. Changing the fluid every 500 miles 3-4 times ( expensive, I know) fixed this completely. $170 in fluid is cheaper than a trans rebuilt though! If it makes you feel better, my car is turbo and my transmission has been perfect.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (09-13-2021)
Old 11-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
Nitemare15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Understandable if you need a rebuild, but you're not going to improve the torque capacity or make the trans bulletproof with your current plans. Excessive power tends to destroy the actual gears, which is expensive to remedy and most end up converting to a different trans. As noted, you "should" be fine with a typical supercharger build though.
Okay, I was under the impression that a performance rebuild with gear treatment (WPC in this case) would increase reliability, decrease friction, and increase durability. So the only way to increase that (torque capacity) would be with a completely different trans?

Also, if I'm fine with a typical SC build, and I just need the trans rebuilt, what will the performance rebuild with the options listed above (WPC treatement, CF synchros) do for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
To be honest, a transmission that was assembled at the factory will be more reliable than one that has been torn down and rebuilt. That's just my opinion though.

I would try changing the transmission fluid a few times with something like the Motul fluid. I used to have a persistent 4th gear grind if I shifted into it at high RPM. Changing the fluid every 500 miles 3-4 times ( expensive, I know) fixed this completely. $170 in fluid is cheaper than a trans rebuilt though! If it makes you feel better, my car is turbo and my transmission has been perfect.
I've changed the fluid 4 times now and I'm still getting 4th and 5th gear grind at high RPM! Same thing as you. I was told by my uncle (skilled, experienced mechanic) that he's almost positive that it's the synchros and the only thing that will fix it is going to be to either buy a new transmission or have mine rebuilt He said most likely the guy that had it before me didn't know how to shift and was the cause of the damage. Like you, he suggested changing the fluid multiple times, after the fourth time he told me that I was wasting money if I continued to do that and recommended the above.

I seriously appreciate you guys' help and guidance and look forward to any further suggestions/input.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
gtengr

Quote:
Okay, I was under the impression that a performance rebuild with gear treatment (WPC in this case) would increase reliability, decrease friction, and increase durability. So the only way to increase that (torque capacity) would be with a completely different trans?

Also, if I'm fine with a typical SC build, and I just need the trans rebuilt, what will the performance rebuild with the options listed above (WPC treatement, CF synchros) do for me?
The factory AZ6 has a rated capacity of 184 lb-ft per Aisin. A supercharger will be making around that at the rear wheels, so the starting point before headers/E85/higher boost pulley is ~15% beyond the factory spec. Cryo treating would improve strength and WPC would reduce friction, but there are more failure mechanisms than just the gears. The thrust load on 4th gear can chew up the adjacent reverse gear for example.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
Nitemare15

Quote:
The factory AZ6 has a rated capacity of 184 lb-ft per Aisin. A supercharger will be making around that at the rear wheels, so the starting point before headers/E85/higher boost pulley is ~15% beyond the factory spec. Cryo treating would improve strength and WPC would reduce friction, but there are more failure mechanisms than just the gears. The thrust load on 4th gear can chew up the adjacent reverse gear for example.
Okay understood. But from what is being said here and my very basic understanding (lol), I shouldn't even really be worried about the transmission failing under a typical supercharger setup? Or are you saying that the starting point added torque from a supercharger is going to be 15% above what the stock transmission is rated at and that I absolutely need to account for that? If so, how do I go about doing that? I'm very new to this, I'm just trying to cross all of my t's and dot my i's

Also it looks like the 4th gear thrust issue is resolved per this rebuild breakdown from Jack's:

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/i...product_id=483

1st - 6th Gear Synchros
Reverse Gear Synchro
3-4 Shift Fork
1-2 Gear Slider
3-4 Gear Slider
3-4 Gear Slider (Includes Over-Extension Modifications)
4th Gear Thrust Fix (Includes Custom Clips and Shaft Modifications)
5-Reverse Gear Slider
Input / Output Oil Seals
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Dont worry. I bought a used 2013 with 58K miles and I am super charged with Flex Fuel. Really the main thing you need to worry about is the TOB if its original and slip on OEM clutch . Trans is good for much more power. not till you approach 325-350WTQ will you need to worry about certain gears in the trans
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
gtengr

Quote:
Okay understood. But from what is being said here and my very basic understanding (lol), I shouldn't even really be worried about the transmission failing under a typical supercharger setup? Or are you saying that the starting point added torque from a supercharger is going to be 15% above what the stock transmission is rated at and that I absolutely need to account for that?
A little of both. You should be fine with a typical supercharger setup, but it's not completely risk free. I think most would agree that it's more practical to replace the trans if it breaks than to invest in an AZ6 build, and the Nissan 350Z's CD009 trans swap is cheaper and more reliable than the AZ6 build paths.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx

I like this, if its a bolt in option, and not just parts I need to weld and bolt on to an existing gearbox.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #12
Nitemare15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Dont worry. I bought a used 2013 with 58K miles and I am super charged with Flex Fuel. Really the main thing you need to worry about is the TOB if its original and slip on OEM clutch . Trans is good for much more power. not till you approach 325-350WTQ will you need to worry about certain gears in the trans
Yeah TOB is original. Is there an upgraded option for that? Also I do plan on changing out clutch to something a bit better when I change the transmission. I've also been told that the clutch fork and pivot should be changed to ensure reliablity/durability.

Quote:
A little of both. You should be fine with a typical supercharger setup, but it's not completely risk free. I think most would agree that it's more practical to replace the trans if it breaks than to invest in an AZ6 build, and the Nissan 350Z's CD009 trans swap is cheaper and more reliable than the AZ6 build paths.
Gotcha. I'm looking at ~$2800, for a performance rebuild of the AZ6 (that includes fixes for 4th gear thrust issues, CF synchros and WPC treatment). At that point I'd basically just have to bolt it back up to the vehicle. Is the CD009 trans swap just that easy? Because I don't think I'm ready for anything that is going to require welding and serious modification.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
gtengr

Quote:
Gotcha. I'm looking at ~$2800, for a performance rebuild of the AZ6 (that includes fixes for 4th gear thrust issues, CF synchros and WPC treatment).
If you go this route I'd get the gears cryo treated too.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #14
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Plus have a witch doctor do a ritual on it.
Same effects, which one would be cheaper, I have no idea.
Why do you think cryo treatment is useless?