follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
ltown

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
innovate 210 question

i like all the info here and have been thru as much as i can but haven't been able to find exactly what im looking for. im currently looking at a used spintex 210 system. the owner says before he took it off for a different setup he had "a vacume leak whitch was found by his mechanic with a smoke test" he also said the "bypass valve" is what they think was causing a leak and others have changed the o-ring to solve the issue. he said it was still making boost just not as much in the low end. does this seem common or have any of you experienced what hes talking about? i cant look at the unit myself cause we are states apart. i also haven't received pictures of this bypass valve yet but supposed to be sending soon.
ltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Yeah... I would not even think about buying used.
Save up buy it brand new. Don't buy someone else's old headache.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #3
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltown View Post
i like all the info here and have been thru as much as i can but haven't been able to find exactly what im looking for. im currently looking at a used spintex 210 system. the owner says before he took it off for a different setup he had "a vacume leak whitch was found by his mechanic with a smoke test" he also said the "bypass valve" is what they think was causing a leak and others have changed the o-ring to solve the issue. he said it was still making boost just not as much in the low end. does this seem common or have any of you experienced what hes talking about? i cant look at the unit myself cause we are states apart. i also haven't received pictures of this bypass valve yet but supposed to be sending soon.
I would skip the sprintex/innovate system altogether. They're generally less efficient than other positive-displacement blowers like the 1320 TVS used by Edelbrock and Harrop, and have temperature issues.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Yeah... I would not even think about buying used.
Save up buy it brand new. Don't buy someone else's old headache.
i totally agree, however what if you had decent mechanical knowledge and was willing to put in time/research in order to get the part working? at what price is that worth? like 1,300$ for the kit? but if it involved splitting open the supercharger and pulling out the twin scrolls count me out lol
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
I would skip the sprintex/innovate system altogether. They're generally less efficient than other positive-displacement blowers like the 1320 TVS used by Edelbrock and Harrop, and have temperature issues.
well say i do get it working properly, what temperature problems do you mean? like intake temps.? and by less efficient do you mean like gas mileage and drag on the motor? or like power output? i figured this kit wasn't to popular among the enthusiasts here but i dont race or track the car. its just my fun daily driver. do these problems you mentioned still occur in these types of driving situations?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
High intake temps, fast heat soak (esp without the intercooler), so-so reliability, very hard on the engine with all the low-end torque, low power limits.

But lots of torque from low and plenty of consistency in that torque.

Other options are better but more expensive.

Buying used is buying a headache.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
High intake temps, fast heat soak (esp without the intercooler), so-so reliability, very hard on the engine with all the low-end torque, low power limits.

But lots of torque from low and plenty of consistency in that torque.

Other options are better but more expensive.

Buying used is buying a headache.
wouldn't all positive displacement chargers have that same torque strain on the engine tho? do you feel that stress is still relevant with a low boost kit like the spintex 210? ugh i mean i want to go forced induction but it seems its all just unreliable strain on these engines....... alot of kits claim its like OE but is it really? :/
Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
wouldn't all positive displacement chargers have that same torque strain on the engine tho? do you feel that stress is still relevant with a low boost kit like the spintex 210? ugh i mean i want to go forced induction but it seems its all just unreliable strain on these engines....... alot of kits claim its like OE but is it really? :/
I think the sprintex is the wrong choice nowadays. There are just better kits out there. Jackson or Edelbrock CARB kits are probably the way to go. Preferably brand new. The JRSC definitely makes the power up higher, and I think the Edelbrock does a bit too. Only Innovate advantage is cheapness.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I think the sprintex is the wrong choice nowadays. There are just better kits out there. Jackson or Edelbrock CARB kits are probably the way to go. Preferably brand new. The JRSC definitely makes the power up higher, and I think the Edelbrock does a bit too. Only Innovate advantage is cheapness.
Humm, not so sure if it's the "wrong choice". Plenty of people have had issues with just about any kit, and plenty of happy campers with this kit. It produces plenty of power, just fine for anyone, and on E85 it can approach 300whp with a nice torque curve. Plus it sounds cool. I do think the TVS units are better units but the innovate kits are solid with 250whp and a nice torque curve on pump gas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Intercooled and If you have access to E85 or WMI heat soak isn’t really an issue. And if your goal is 290-300whp or less. It has the most power in entire powerband/area under the curve at that power. Intercooled E85 70mm pulley Full bolt ons on a friendly dyno will have a 250ft lbs torque plateau from 3500-6500rpm with 300whp peak. A centrifugal sc with a 300whp peak will have a linear curve from 200-250ft lbs at 3500-6500rpm in comparison. Obviously the centrifugal sc has a much higher ceiling close to 400whp if you wanted more though.

Also sprintex was one of the first kits on the market so many people bought it and it’s had a long time in use so much more time and opportunity for failures compared to other kits. And really a small percentage had those failures.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
ltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Intercooled and If you have access to E85 or WMI heat soak isn’t really an issue. And if your goal is 290-300whp or less. It has the most power in entire powerband/area under the curve at that power. Intercooled E85 70mm pulley Full bolt ons on a friendly dyno will have a 250ft lbs torque plateau from 3500-6500rpm with 300whp peak. A centrifugal sc with a 300whp peak will have a linear curve from 200-250ft lbs at 3500-6500rpm in comparison. Obviously the centrifugal sc has a much higher ceiling close to 400whp if you wanted more though.

Also sprintex was one of the first kits on the market so many people bought it and it’s had a long time in use so much more time and opportunity for failures compared to other kits. And really a small percentage had those failures.
the one i was looking at was not inter cooled, i also noticed that there are no more non intercooled kits out anymore. they have been discontinued. the intercooled ones are around the 4,200 to 4,600$ range. about the same as a Jackson racing model. i guess im leaning twords a new kit now so i dont have to deal with the problems of the used kit i was originally looking at.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
ltown

Quote:
the jackson kit was one im considering as well, if i go new that is. installation seems tedious but something i can do at the shop im sure. theres alot of parts added to the car and a ton more failure points so its something that would have to be monitored closely as most the kits are anyways.

oh and by the way, whats the difference in the "c30" and "c38"?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #13
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
the jackson kit was one im considering as well, if i go new that is. installation seems tedious but something i can do at the shop im sure. theres alot of parts added to the car and a ton more failure points so its something that would have to be monitored closely as most the kits are anyways.

Are you planning on building the engine?
What are your whp goals?
What kind of power delivery do you want?
Low/mid torque or high end peak hp?
Car use? DD, spirited driving, canyon/backroad, autox, track, dragstrip, stop light/roll racing?

C38 is larger with more potential, but even the C30 is plenty capable of blowing stock engine. I believe it’s about 350whp vs 400whp max potential on a normal non hero dyno.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #14
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:

Bigger blower = more potential for more money. If you're going to stay on the carb tune with stock pulley, get the c30. Don't waste your money. If you're going to build your engine, swap pulleys, and get a custom tune, get the C38.

A lot of people find the JRSC reliable.

The innovate is just old tech. Why bother?

None of this is going to be as reliable or easy to keep up as stock. Maybe you should just go buy a Z or something else with more power stock? An Ace header, billet power blocks, and tune gets the car into a pretty sweet NA spot.