follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #43
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Corvette no thinking. ...If you can afford it.

2017 if you cant and just want a DD.

Although, if you can afford a 'vette i'd personally go:

2017 WRX>>>>Vette>>>twin
Old 11-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
? Around here it's hard to tell you are on a BRZ/86 forum sometimes. Why would I choose an aging corvette over a new 86 for a daily driver.
I know right!

At least it hasn't changed to the whole "Get whatever car I have always wanted instead" mess that these threads usually do. Not sure that everybody reads beyond C6 to the daily driver part.

"Hi guys I was thinking of getting a BRZ or maybe a Corvette"
"Get a S2000"
"Get a WRX"
"Get a 1968 Triumph"
"Get a Supra"
"Get a Miata" (Somebody ALWAYS says this one)
"Get a ZXXX"
"Get a Lotus"
"Get a Ferrari"
"Get that car I saw in the Anime once"
"Get this car from the video game it racks"
"Get the Batmobile"
"Get a Jet Fighter"
deejaylew (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #45
yip

Drives: 1997 Chevy S10
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Went for a second test drive in the Z06 last night and drove around for quite a while. I found it interesting that it was just as comfy as my FRS. The clutch and gas pedal on the Vette are not stiff at all and nicely spaced (I wear size 7 shoes :P), the seat has a lot of adjustment but is a bit too soft maybe, the ergonomics seem to fit me well with my only gripe being that the shifter is just a hair back from where I would like it. Road noise wasn't any worse than my FRS running RE71R's and pillow ball mount coilovers. It's amazing how civilized the Z06 feels under 3k rpm's.

I don't think anything needs to be said about the power but the Z06 brakes have better pedal feel than the Stoptechs I had on the FRS. Not sure how well the Z06 brakes hold up under hard driving as I don't own the car yet and don't want to beat on someone else's car.

I like the exterior styling of the Z06 but aesthetically I like everything else about the BRZ better especially the lighting. The 4 exhaust tips on the Vette look silly to me and the interior design is just meh and don't hate or love it.

What I am thinking now is to buy the Z06 and keep my order in place for the BRZ. I'll drive the Z06 for a couple of months and make a decision which one to keep after the new year.
yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #46
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip View Post
Went for a second test drive in the Z06 last night and drove around for quite a while. I found it interesting that it was just as comfy as my FRS. The clutch and gas pedal on the Vette are not stiff at all and nicely spaced (I wear size 7 shoes :P), the seat has a lot of adjustment but is a bit too soft maybe, the ergonomics seem to fit me well with my only gripe being that the shifter is just a hair back from where I would like it. Road noise wasn't any worse than my FRS running RE71R's and pillow ball mount coilovers. It's amazing how civilized the Z06 feels under 3k rpm's.

I don't think anything needs to be said about the power but the Z06 brakes have better pedal feel than the Stoptechs I had on the FRS. Not sure how well the Z06 brakes hold up under hard driving as I don't own the car yet and don't want to beat on someone else's car.

I like the exterior styling of the Z06 but aesthetically I like everything else about the BRZ better especially the lighting. The 4 exhaust tips on the Vette look silly to me and the interior design is just meh and don't hate or love it.

What I am thinking now is to buy the Z06 and keep my order in place for the BRZ. I'll drive the Z06 for a couple of months and make a decision which one to keep after the new year.
I assure you the brakes will hold up. The Z06 is the track-focused Vette. Even more so than the C5s were.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #47
yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I see "comfy" as more than just how the seat feels. The air/heat vents are poorly placed, Much of the ergo is set up for track and the overall space is just not as user friendly.
I have to agree on the vent spacing but the other stuff seems to suit me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Brz View Post
Sure, but what's the major demographic for Vettes?

That's the final word on it, imo. lol
I bet most people won't expect to see a short asian guy sitting inches from the steering wheel like an old lady when they drive up next to me :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
Z06....forget the twins lol
Not sure this is possible. The BRZ/FRS are great cars in my opinion. I'm going to hold on to my supercharger, brakes and suspension for awhile in case I cannot forget about the twins after driving the Vette for awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to yip For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #48
Tcoat

Quote:

I bet most people won't expect to see a short asian guy sitting inches from the steering wheel like an old lady when they drive up next to me :P

Just make sure you look really confused!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #49
Da Brz

Quote:
I bet most people won't expect to see a short asian guy sitting inches from the steering wheel like an old lady when they drive up next to me

If it was me, I'd give you a big ol' thumbs up.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #50
yip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Such different cars.

You will look like an old fool with too much money in the Z06. It's a show-off car. It doesn't matter how much it's worth. I drove a 1984 Mercedez 300SD in 1993. I got crap for being a rich boy. The damned car was worth $5000.

You said the BRZ has enough power for you. So why get the C6 Z06?

As a third or fourth car, the Z06 sounds great.
I'm hoping this isn't the case and that the Vette doesn't give off the vibe that I'm wealthy or flaunting it. I sold my BMW a couple years ago because I was tired of hearing the "rolling in the dough" comments.

I was kind of content when the FRS had a header and E85 tune but I bought a supercharger that I was intending to eventually install. Pretty sure I would be happy with the Z06 stock and not want anymore.

While I am going to likely purchase the Z06 as my daily I do have other vehicles to drive thankfully.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #51
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Just checked it out on tirerack for fun, stock size a set of good tires is somewhere between $1k and $1.2k (PSS and RE11 respectively) for the Corvette, they'll wear just as fast as an 86 if not faster.

A set of PSS for my 86 was <$600 for me about a month ago, tough pill to swallow if you're going through a set of tires more than once a year. Even a set of autox dedicated RE71R's is just over $700.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
I'm hoping this isn't the case and that the Vette doesn't give off the vibe that I'm wealthy or flaunting it. I sold my BMW a couple years ago because I was tired of hearing the "rolling in the dough" comments.

I was kind of content when the FRS had a header and E85 tune but I bought a supercharger that I was intending to eventually install. Pretty sure I would be happy with the Z06 stock and not want anymore.

While I am going to likely purchase the Z06 as my daily I do have other vehicles to drive thankfully.
Anybody that knows cars will know it is an 06 and not think you are wealthy or flaunting it. That only leaves about 99% of the population that will think you are.
Yardjass (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #53
Da Brz

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Just checked it out on tirerack for fun, stock size a set of good tires is somewhere between $1k and $1.2k (PSS and RE11 respectively) for the Corvette, they'll wear just as fast as an 86 if not faster.

A set of PSS for my 86 was <$600 for me about a month ago, tough pill to swallow if you're going through a set of tires more than once a year. Even a set of autox dedicated RE71R's is just over $700.
The last couple sets of tires I bought were both around $600-700.

$1k for a Z06 isn't that bad, really.

Tires are high, yo.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #54
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingPanda View Post
Corvettes make fine daily drivers. Yea tires are expensive. But that's about it. They're solid cars. And it's meant to be a touring car. Not a car that kills your back after 50 miles. My friends c6 is more comfy and easier to get out of than my BRZ.

This. I dare say they're every bit as good as an 86 to daily, especially if you have a highway commute. People are getting gas mileage in the high 20's on the highway on those things. If you get the base and not the Z06, the ride quality is fine. It also has a hatch, which I'm amazed they didn't do on the 86. I daily drove a 300ZX for a couple of years and you'd be amazed the amount of stuff I was able to fit in that thing because of the hatch configuration. If you can live with the extra cost of tires and the lack of back seats, which are pretty much useless on the 86 anyway, there's nothing wrong with a vette.

Quote:
And they continue to be fans of the car because GM caters to them; otherwise, we would have seen a mid-engine DOHC car ages ago.

Front-mid is still mid engine. The corvette has been mid engine for years. Also, literally nobody wants DOHC when the current motor makes tons of NA power reliably, is lightweight and physically small, and gets good fuel economy while doing it. The only people who are calling for the replacement of the small block chevy with DOHC are ignoramuses and fanboys who couldn't afford or otherwise wouldn't go buy the replacement anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Corvette no thinking. ...If you can afford it.

2017 if you cant and just want a DD.

Although, if you can afford a 'vette i'd personally go:

2017 WRX>>>>Vette>>>twin

The WRX won't be worth buying until they put the new motor in the STI. Right now, the only thing the STI has going for it over a C6 Z06 is interior quality, age, and usability as a daily driver (4 doors, big trunk). In terms of performance and bang for buck, it is completely outclassed.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #55
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Z06 gives off a money vibe about 10 times stronger than any BMW except for the i8. It's a hot car. You will get more comments than the BMW did. Also, the suspension will probably beat you up, and I hope there aren't any driveways or speed bumps on your commute.

That all said, when you drive it, you'll have fun.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #56
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
The last couple sets of tires I bought were both around $600-700.

$1k for a Z06 isn't that bad, really.

Tires are high, yo.
Depends on how often they get replaced, once a year, bearable, less frequent than that, cool.

OP is burning up two sets of RE71R's per year, I wouldn't want to spend ~$2k+ per year on tires, maybe his pain threshold is higher than mine, I'm happy I can get away with <$600 every 2+ years on my 86 for DD.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote