follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2023, 08:30 PM   #1
callisto

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Here's a Romraider defs XML for ZA1JS10C (2019)

The 2019 BRZ (manual shift) comes with ZA1JS10C, but the latest RomRaider definition available has been for K00G, so after a couple years of Ghidra work I've ported the defs forward to S10C. Now that I've finished porting the XML for my car, I'll keep working on V00C00G so I can release that someday. I'd like to do K10C and N20C (and automatics) as well, but this is a free-time activity only for me, so that's years of work ahead of me.

"Old intake" is K00G and prior; "New intake" is any car with a red intake. I have not tested whether 2019 S10C can run on older red intakes. I know that 2020 V00C00G can't run on 2019 (U0155), but I haven't figured out what changed in instrument cluster communication yet.

As far as I know, all off-the-shelf tuner ROMs that can be opened in Romraider are implementing by Calid-hacking K00G. This is an S10C OEM XML and will only work with original S10C and modified ROMs derived from S10C (which is none, as of today, to the best of my knowledge).

The CL/OL code is completely different. Lots of tuning tables don't exist anymore, and lots of numeric values have changed that don't have XML definitions. I do not recommend copying anything from these CL/OL tables into old-intake ROMs. They are completely incompatible. Aside from CL/OL, there are a few other random tables that are no longer present in their old form. For example, the AFR heating code has been rewritten, which means some of the tables aren't in the same place. I've commented those out with notes in the XML.

I've explored the idle code, the direct / port injection code, and various other areas of the ROM, and so there are new tables in this file that aren't present in K00G. I'll eventually release a K00G defs update that includes the new tables, so that it's easier to compare and see what's changed, but it's still possible to see lots of changes immediately with a straight compare. (And maybe someday I'll re-release K00G with expanded timing/vvt/etc. table axes to support backporting new intake tables.)

The OEM stock ROM is able to learn positive timing advances at IAM 1.0; that is to say, the learned LTFT for any given LTFT_Offset can absolutely be positive, even at IAM 1.0, if your gas is good enough. I fed my car 100 octane gas for six months on stock ROM to confirm this. (I'm still analyzing the fuel trim system, so more on that in a future logging update.)

There are a lot of new CEL codes, and I also documented some that existed previously. Not all of these codes are called by the ROM. (Also, the P957x codes were incorrectly converted from hex 957x; they've been corrected to DTC codes C157x.)

Disclaimers: I offer no warranty, your mileage may vary, good luck storming the castle, any damage incurred is your responsibility and not mine. I don't tune cars for others, I'm not tuning cars for performance, and I don't have tuning experience with Subaru ECUs prior to my BRZs. I will not help anyone circumvent emissions. I encourage using the services of a professional tuner if you are uncertain how to tune your vehicle.

Tactrix logging config for S10C: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152015

I am eternally grateful to all the tuners who worked on gen1, and I'm sad I missed the party. Your conversations and research made this possible. Cheers.

EDIT: (2023-04-07) v2 fixes some tables that were incorrectly swapped versus K-series, including the entire Intake Duty / Exhaust Duty series, and updates the Base Timing and Open Loop Fueling table names to match their meanings.

EDIT: (2023-05-03) For verification, I’m u/callistobrz.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ZA1JS10C_v2_xml.txt (603.3 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by callisto; 05-03-2023 at 01:10 PM. Reason: v2, with improved names and fixed swaps
callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to callisto For This Useful Post:
Compelica (03-17-2023), EAGLE5 (03-11-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-16-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 10:32 PM   #2
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
While I don't need this, you are a golden god.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:28 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto View Post
The OEM stock ROM is able to learn positive timing advances at IAM 1.0; that is to say, the learned LTFT for any given LTFT_Offset can absolutely be positive, even at IAM 1.0, if your gas is good enough. I fed my car 100 octane gas for six months on stock ROM to confirm this. (I'm still analyzing the fuel trim system, so more on that in a future logging update.)
Interesting and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #4
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto View Post
Great work so far.

I don't understand what you meant though, you mean that it can increase ignition timing beyond what's set in the KCA table? And what is LTFT Offset?
Old 03-17-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
callisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Great work so far.

I don't understand what you meant though, you mean that it can increase ignition timing beyond what's set in the KCA table? And what is LTFT Offset?
I checked my notes and I confused LTFT and FLKC in my writeup, apologies. The FLKC offset indicates which of the 35 knock correction zones is active. I’ll go back and make sure I didn’t check the wrong things in my logs.

It’s not that you can exceed KCA; it’s that you can have positive knock correction (advance) while at IAM 1.0. Which makes sense! But back when the car was being tuned in 13-16, there weren’t any convenient sources of months of 100 octane learning data to realize this.
The Following User Says Thank You to callisto For This Useful Post:
Compelica (03-18-2023)
Old 04-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #6
callisto

Updated to v2 above; I have to rename like fifty things in Ghidra to fix the intake/exhaust name swap I let sneak in by accident. Oops.

Tags
romraider, s10c, xml, za1js10c