follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
marine12

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
upgrades to my frs

I have a invidia n1 exhaust system and plan on buying a Borla UEL headers and Invidia over pipe, I wanted to know if this was a good set up. I am station out in japan right now and I am going to be driving this car as a daily driver when I get back I don't want something that is crazy loud I want it to have a nice sound to it. I also wanted to know what else would be a good thing to get for this. Thank you for you time !
marine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine12 View Post
I have a invidia n1 exhaust system and plan on buying a Borla UEL headers and Invidia over pipe, I wanted to know if this was a good set up. I am station out in japan right now and I am going to be driving this car as a daily driver when I get back I don't want something that is crazy loud I want it to have a nice sound to it. I also wanted to know what else would be a good thing to get for this. Thank you for you time !
Hello soldier and welcome to ... this forum unit .....

Thank you for serving our country ......

I really am not qualified to comment on your proposed exhaust set up .... but it sounds LOUD to me ..... especially for a DD.

What else to get .... how about a drop in air filter?

I'm sure others will comment.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
mmmcambelsoup

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I currently have this set up below:

invidia n1
invidia catless front pipe
invidia overpipe
stock headers

result = loud

This is of course subjective to your own ears. Personally I do not mind it and got used to it as a daily driver. But I am for sure purchasing catted headers to hopefully tone it down a notch. I sit in traffic 1.5 hours on my daily commute to give you an idea. In my opinion, no matter how many youtube clips or sound bites you listen to, nothing beats hearing setups in person. Thats the only way you can determine what sound you want. (Ricer at heart, may not be fast... but it sure as hell sounds fast lol.)
mmmcambelsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello soldier and welcome to ... this forum unit

humfrz
"Soldier" is capitalized these days, and if he is in Japan he's probably either Air Force, Navy or Marine. Going with "Marine" and Iwakuni myself, given his user name!

ETA: Being in Japan, OP, you need to start spending every spare Yen on JDM parts for you car. Screw the exhaust and other stuff you can get here, start buying GT86 parts.

How much longer are you going to be there? Help a fellow Marine out, dog!
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
"Soldier" is capitalized these days, and if he is in Japan he's probably either Air Force, Navy or Marine. Going with "Marine" and Iwakuni myself, given his user name!
Well now @Tromatic, thanks for updating me on the proper way to spell a "respect" noun.....

Yep, I'm "old Army" but I'll try harder to stay up to date ....

Interesting read:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...oldier,00.html

humfrz

ex-Soldier
Army, Infantry, Captain, Company Commander
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
???
noob and expert

Drives: None :(
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
An n1 coupled with any other exhaust upgrades (except over pipe)is loud but a full exhaust with an n1 is really loud. I recommend u get the q300 because it's the same mid pipe but the mufflers are different. The q400 will give u sound and performance while keeping it much quieter than the n1

For me, there is no glide in pulse and glide :p
??? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
marine12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post

ETA: Being in Japan, OP, you need to start spending every spare Yen on JDM parts for you car. Screw the exhaust and other stuff you can get here, start buying GT86 parts.

How much longer are you going to be there? Help a fellow Marine out, dog!

@Tromatic yea I am a marine out in iwakuni lol and I should be out here till early dec idk yet got stuff goin on haha I might stay longer and then try and go DI but idk whats going on yet but all I know is that I want to get out of here lol. and I got the badges and the GT-86 badges but I have no idea where I can go to get stuff out in town the Japanese guys I work with don't even know where to go haha
Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
marine12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcambelsoup View Post
I currently have this set up below:

invidia n1
invidia catless front pipe
invidia overpipe
stock headers

result = loud

This is of course subjective to your own ears. Personally I do not mind it and got used to it as a daily driver. But I am for sure purchasing catted headers to hopefully tone it down a notch. I sit in traffic 1.5 hours on my daily commute to give you an idea. In my opinion, no matter how many youtube clips or sound bites you listen to, nothing beats hearing setups in person. Thats the only way you can determine what sound you want. (Ricer at heart, may not be fast... but it sure as hell sounds fast lol.)

yea that's what I am going to pretty much have I will see how it sounds when I put it all in I just wish I had my car here so I would know haha
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

I ran this setup only difference would be perrin overpipe instead of invidia, it was loud to some people but I think it is quite tolerable. In comparison it is quieter and has less drone than the Evo3 and louder than the Q300. Definitely a bang for your buck setup that has good sound quality.
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #10
marine12

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
I ran this setup only difference would be perrin overpipe instead of invidia, it was loud to some people but I think it is quite tolerable. In comparison it is quieter and has less drone than the Evo3 and louder than the Q300. Definitely a bang for your buck setup that has good sound quality.

sweet thanks bro.