follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 AM   #1
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Pads and fluid for next year

So I'm starting to think about brake pads and fluid for next year. This year I've run the BP10s with my RR Racing SP kit and EBC Yellowstuff in the rear with Motul RBF600 fluid. While this has worked out for this year, I don't really want to run this combination again next year. Frankly, the BP10s and Yellows aren't holding up long enough and I also don't care for the fact that I have to do partial brake fluid bleeds after every event with the RBF600. I'm still going to be stock powered or perhaps a header and tune at best, finances allowing. I'll be running 225/45r17 RS3s next year full time so I'd like a dual purpose pad that will stand up to this abuse and also maybe recommend a brake fluid that I don't have to do partial bleeds after every event. Next year will be my 3rd year of HPDE and autocross events.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Torque RT700 has a lot of great reviews. it's what I use, but be warned that it is slightly expensive but it might be more worth it for you since you won't be bleeding it after every event.

unfortunately, I do not have much experience with pads aside from Winmax W5 so I can't recommend anything other that those. I do have to say that the bite on them is strong with the stock calipers and rotors. I am not sure if they have the same pads in the correct sizing for your BBK though. my car is my DD as well and the W5's are not that noisy on the street but they do squeal a little when you are applying less than normal brake pressure
Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
Torque RT700 has a lot of great reviews. it's what I use, but be warned that it is slightly expensive but it might be more worth it for you since you won't be bleeding it after every event.

unfortunately, I do not have much experience with pads aside from Winmax W5 so I can't recommend anything other that those. I do have to say that the bite on them is strong with the stock calipers and rotors. I am not sure if they have the same pads in the correct sizing for your BBK though. my car is my DD as well and the W5's are not that noisy on the street but they do squeal a little when you are applying less than normal brake pressure
My kit will take AP Sprint sized pads so I'm definitely not worried there. I was thinking of just driving on a race pad next year so I'll definitely consider the W4/W5 pads which I hear aren't too noisy to drive on the street. How do they wear for you? I'm expecting 3-4 track days, ~6 autocross events and at least 5000kms of daily driving. My BP10s and Yellowstuff look like they'll make it through the winter with one more track day but I wouldn't count on them for anything else.

Regarding Torque RT700, I considered running it this year but I found the authorized canadian resellers either did not return my e-mails or calls or outright stated they didn't sell it anymore. I looked at pricing to get it imported from the states last year and it looked like it was going to cost me $80 per bottle after shipping, duties, brokerage and exchange. At that point, I still had a spare bottle of RBF600 left over from last year so I decided to just buy another bottle of it to get through this season and figure I'll look again next year. I'll investigate the RT700 again next year.

Obviously, I'm still open to anyone elses suggestions.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Castrol SRF is the gold standard for break fluid, I got through a whole summer last year without having to re-bleed it. I'm running project mU club racer pads, decent (better than stock) cold bite and they're like glue when warm. They'll survive 20 minute sessions on the DDT without fading on stock calipers/rotors.

You should be able to find SRF locally, but it'll be around $85/liter.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (09-15-2016), smg1138 (09-15-2016), TofuJoe (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
My kit will take AP Sprint sized pads so I'm definitely not worried there. I was thinking of just driving on a race pad next year so I'll definitely consider the W4/W5 pads which I hear aren't too noisy to drive on the street. How do they wear for you? I'm expecting 3-4 track days, ~6 autocross events and at least 5000kms of daily driving. My BP10s and Yellowstuff look like they'll make it through the winter with one more track day but I wouldn't count on them for anything else.

Regarding Torque RT700, I considered running it this year but I found the authorized canadian resellers either did not return my e-mails or calls or outright stated they didn't sell it anymore. I looked at pricing to get it imported from the states last year and it looked like it was going to cost me $80 per bottle after shipping, duties, brokerage and exchange. At that point, I still had a spare bottle of RBF600 left over from last year so I decided to just buy another bottle of it to get through this season and figure I'll look again next year. I'll investigate the RT700 again next year.

I am on the W5's for roughly 10k miles so far with 5 track days and many canyon runs. they wear pretty good, but obviously I am not the best driver on the track so you might get less life out of the pads if you seriously brake the crap out of the car before the corners. I am going to replace them before my next track day since they are getting pretty worn down in the front though. the rears barely wore down at all.

as for the RT700, have you tried buying it in the states and having them ship it up to Canada through USPS? I heard that they are the easiest to deal with while other companies like FedEx charge duty fees.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

Let us know if we can assist you with your needs.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
infinity21

Drives: 2014 BRZ Sport-tech
Alpha carries Endless RF650 brake fluid. Something to consider as well.

As for pads, I'm looking at having dedicated track pads for next season. Probably something like Ferodo DS1.11 or similar.
infinity21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinity21 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Castrol SRF is the gold standard for break fluid, I got through a whole summer last year without having to re-bleed it. I'm running project mU club racer pads, decent (better than stock) cold bite and they're like glue when warm. They'll survive 20 minute sessions on the DDT without fading on stock calipers/rotors.

is it okay to run SRF on a daily?
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 PM   #9
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post
is it okay to run SRF on a daily?
I don't see why not, fluid is fluid when it's cold.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Amen to that! Motul RBF600 went to shit on me in about 9 months from just AutoX and street driving. It actually gelled up my master cylinder. Flushed my system with SRF and haven't had a problem since. The boutique fluids are highly overrated IMO.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smg1138 For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (09-15-2016), Toyarzee (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Amen to that! Motul RBF600 went to shit on me in about 9 months from just AutoX and street driving. It actually gelled up my master cylinder. Flushed my system with SRF and haven't had a problem since. The boutique fluids are highly overrated IMO.
I ran Motul RBF600 all year last year and this year and it was OK until it was used on track then that was it, spongy until a partial bleed. I'm not planning to run it again after this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
wparsons (09-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #12
icybrzzz

Drives: 2015 Scion frz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see why not, fluid is fluid when it's cold.
Believe it or not I called a local shop about it a few months back. They told me if I was dailying the car to run rbf600. They told me that SRF was bad on a daily...

I don't mind paying more if its THAT good. Just like anything else I put on my car.
icybrzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #13
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icybrzzz View Post
Believe it or not I called a local shop about it a few months back. They told me if I was dailying the car to run rbf600. They told me that SRF was bad on a daily...

I don't mind paying more if its THAT good. Just like anything else I put on my car.
SRF needs to be changed once per year according to Castrol's recommendations. Maybe that's why they say it's bad?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #14
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
SRF needs to be changed once per year according to Castrol's recommendations. Maybe that's why they say it's bad?
Any car seeing a track should be flushed at least once a year anyway, so not a concern.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-16-2016), Lynxis (09-16-2016), smg1138 (09-16-2016)