follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #57
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Glad to hear it!

Our welders just finished a MASSIVE batch of intakes and they're off to powdercoating. You guys are buying them faster than we can get them back on the shelves. Who else has been enjoying the warmer weather and dry roads?
Constantly 86 degrees here in Texas and ever since I got the intake dialed in and MAF scaled, my car has been driving great. Easily one of the best, if not best intake for this car while tuned. Sounds pretty good too.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (04-01-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #58
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I bought the intake used off these forums, gonna be installing it this weekend with my forester oil cooler. quick question though, I noticed that the first post lists the air filter as oiled. the filter sitting in my garage is completely dry, should I re-oil it or does the oil dry off in the first place?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #59
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I bought the intake used off these forums, gonna be installing it this weekend with my forester oil cooler. quick question though, I noticed that the first post lists the air filter as oiled. the filter sitting in my garage is completely dry, should I re-oil it or does the oil dry off in the first place?
Yeah, it's definitely oiled. The oil doesn't dry off, you'd have to wash it off. First, check to see if our logo is stamped on the end cap of the filter (to see if they swapped it to a dry filter instead). If it is, and the filter is no longer red in color, then you're right all the oil is gone and should be cleaned and reapplied.

I would personally recommend either the K&N Recharge kit (can be purchased locally at auto parts stores, I've even seen them at Walmart), or Green Filter oil (has to be bought online, and will turn your filter green). The alternative if you don't want to mess with that, or your filter has been swapped is to purchase an air filter directly through us.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #60
ryoma

The filter has the grimspeed markings on it, and is still red but feels dry to the touch. is that still considered oiled?
Old 04-17-2015, 02:26 PM   #61
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
The filter has the grimspeed markings on it, and is still red but feels dry to the touch. is that still considered oiled?
Yup, you're good to go. Just because a filter is oiled doesnt mean it should feel oily, that would definitely be a sign of being over oiled. The color of it is a much better indicator.

Chase
Engineering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (05-01-2015), ryoma (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #62
ryoma

alright, good to install then! thanks a lot.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #63
blue cat

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You nailed it! Based on the photos that we've seen, the 'dent' looks like it would need to provide less than 1/8" of clearance, which isn't much. I'd imagine holding a sandbag against the inside and tapping the outside with a ball peen hammer might do the trick. If I'm wrong, Chase will chime in shortly and correct me. Maybe we'll experiment with it.

Matt Beenen
Engineering
I was planning on buying a perrin oil cooler, but i realise now it won't fit cleanly.
Any idea if taking a mallet to the airbox is a genuine solution?

And can you guys suggest a thermostatic oil cooler alternative brand that does play nice? i'm looking for alternatives atm
Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #64
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue cat View Post
I was planning on buying a perrin oil cooler, but i realise now it won't fit cleanly.
Any idea if taking a mallet to the airbox is a genuine solution?

And can you guys suggest a thermostatic oil cooler alternative brand that does play nice? i'm looking for alternatives atm
I can't make a recommendation yet because we haven't had any confirmed fitments (just really close ones), and we don't have one on our car, let alone several to try unfortunately.

However, what we have done is created a new design revision of the current airbox that will provide safe space for that particular sandwich plate without compromising performance. I don't know if we'll have those out in a couple of months or what, but I do know for a fact that they'll be out this year. So if you can pick up the oil cooler now, and hold off on buying the intake until v2 is out that might be your best bet. Otherwise you could clearance the current design (it's on the backside and would be hidden), or modify the mounting brackets to push the airbox further forward by about 3mm, or both. But again, these are untested ideas, but you have a few options!

Chase
Engineering
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (10-20-2015), Sleepless (04-24-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #65
quicksilver30

Drives: '13 LR BRZ Limited| '07 Jeep GC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't make a recommendation yet because we haven't had any confirmed fitments (just really close ones), and we don't have one on our car, let alone several to try unfortunately.

However, what we have done is created a new design revision of the current airbox that will provide safe space for that particular sandwich plate without compromising performance. I don't know if we'll have those out in a couple of months or what, but I do know for a fact that they'll be out this year. So if you can pick up the oil cooler now, and hold off on buying the intake until v2 is out that might be your best bet. Otherwise you could clearance the current design (it's on the backside and would be hidden), or modify the mounting brackets to push the airbox further forward by about 3mm, or both. But again, these are untested ideas, but you have a few options!

Chase
Engineering
Would there be an upgrade for the V1 guys? I would love to get the new airbox for my intake but don't really want to pay for an entirely new intake.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #66
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver30 View Post
Would there be an upgrade for the V1 guys? I would love to get the new airbox for my intake but don't really want to pay for an entirely new intake.
Yep, that's the current plan!

Chase
Engineering
Old 05-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #67
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just to let @GrimmSpeed know there's still interest in a dry filter option, especially if it proves to have an insignificant hp loss compared to the wet filter.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #68
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
Just to let @GrimmSpeed know there's still interest in a dry filter option, especially if it proves to have an insignificant hp loss compared to the wet filter.
THIS!!

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #69
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
THIS!!
Yup, and that is why they are on the way! Don't know when we'll receive them yet, but when I know, I'll let everyone know.

Chase
Engineering
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
akyp (05-01-2015), Ammunition (10-20-2015), Captain Snooze (05-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #70
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Sounds like your questions have been answered, but yes, this is the same product. It hadn't been officially released until today though and sorting through the 'old' thread for the real information can be difficult.

The group buy has ended, but now that it's been officially released, you can start bugging your favorite vendors to sell you one.

As for the sound clip, here's an 'after'.

Matt Beenen
Engineering
How is this basically the only video out there of this intake? Sounds pretty mean. Needing to spend some money after giving up on installing my OFH :P
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote