follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #491
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Everyone has an opinion, and mine isnt worth more than anybody elses.

But the 15+ WRX clutch in my opinion is a very easy weighted clutch. I only know of one other AWD car that is less, the new Golf R. Everything else is either stiffer or about the same level. The clutch of a C5 vette, 13 Camaro 1LE, EVO, Focus RS and all the aftermarket ones i have installed were all stiffer, tougher than my '15 WRX. But compared to a Miata, S2000 and the BRZ...yeah the WRX is stiffer than those.
Exactly. Sure, it's probably in the "stiffer" half of clutches out there in terms of factory cars. But it's far from being so stiff to the point where it's worth complaining about, as there are still a lot of cars with stiffer clutches.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #492
FRStock

Drives: 13 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
I doubt you will regret it man. I loved the FR-S but after being in the WRX even a few days, I can't say there is anything making me want to drive it over the WRX.
I had both for a few months. I don't think they're in the same league except the price point.

One is a sports car and the other is a sedan. Plain and simple.

I'm sure tracking the WRX will be fun but I can't see it being better than the twins; sure it may be faster around the track but as most of us track occasionally it should be about the driving experience and not lap time.
FRStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #493
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStock View Post
I had both for a few months. I don't think they're in the same league except the price point.

One is a sports car and the other is a sedan. Plain and simple.

I'm sure tracking the WRX will be fun but I can't see it being better than the twins; sure it may be faster around the track but as most of us track occasionally it should be about the driving experience and not lap time.
Same could be said for the WRX. If you're only tracking it occasionally why not have a more comfortable and practical daily driver? Personally, I love both cars.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #494
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Same could be said for the WRX. If you're only tracking it occasionally why not have a more comfortable and practical daily driver? Personally, I love both cars.
I hope to someday own both >_>

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantobe For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #495
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The WRX is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was literally at the dealer to buy a BRZ, test drove a WRX, I now own a WRX. I love the BRZ, but when it comes down to it, the WRX to me was the better car all around. The power difference and feel is what initially did it though. I've has the WRX since summer of '15 and have no regrets.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #496
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post

Might be the route I end up going. Once I graduate law school I'll either get whatever the next gen 86 is or an older R8 v10 6MT.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #497
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Might be the route I end up going. Once I graduate law school I'll either get whatever the next gen 86 is or an older R8 v10 6MT.

Kind of a big difference between the two in terms of price. Is this dependent on where you get hired after school?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #498
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Kind of a big difference between the two in terms of price. Is this dependent on where you get hired after school?
That will likely play into yes, although, I don't see money being a huge issue either way. My fiancé makes 70k+ as an Inside Sales Manager for an engineering firm, so, even if I end up at a middle of the road job we should be alright. I also won't have school loans after graduating, and because of my ideal job and what goes along with it we have no current plans for having children.

I just love both of these cars and will have a DD then so I won't need a "practical car." On the other hand, I want a car that you wouldn't mind driving for a few hours at a time. I loved the FRS but wanted something that would comfortably transport people, and that looked a little more "mature."

In truth though my ideal job is a government job and while it pays well, certainly doesn't pay big law money. Then again I have no interest in big law anyway so that's irrelevant. I should start between 70-90k if everything goes as planned. The company I plan on working for I actually went through the two year long interview process with prior to starting school and am very confident I'll end up there when all is said and done.

Keeping my fingers crossed though
Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #499
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I know what you mean -- I'm likely going to attend law school next fall, and ironically was also thinking of a few cars when I finish, one of which would be a BRZ STI (which presumably would be out by then), though of course it wouldn't be that hard to afford, but personally I don't care too much for fancy stuff. (I have an Evo IX SE that I bought brand new and can't seem to find anything that I like more than it.)

The government jobs are nice -- benefits are good, and if you play your cards right, your law school loans will be taken care of because of it. And like you said, it might not be the "big law money," but you will at least have more manageable hours.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to law school? (PM is fine.)
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #500
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
I know what you mean -- I'm likely going to attend law school next fall, and ironically was also thinking of a few cars when I finish, one of which would be a BRZ STI (which presumably would be out by then), though of course it wouldn't be that hard to afford, but personally I don't care too much for fancy stuff. (I have an Evo IX SE that I bought brand new and can't seem to find anything that I like more than it.)

The government jobs are nice -- benefits are good, and if you play your cards right, your law school loans will be taken care of because of it. And like you said, it might not be the "big law money," but you will at least have more manageable hours.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to law school? (PM is fine.)
Ahh I used to have an EVO myself. It was the "8.5", and while I loved the car it always had issues. I think that had more to do with the previous owner though. I found meth ports and other bs under the hood after buying it. I was young and dumb. Anyway I do love EVOs and loved mine when it ran. She made 330whp and 363wht.

Government jobs do have great benefits and I went into law not for the money but as a means to an end. Lets just say it wasn't required for what I want to do but will put me at a serious advantage. Also, I have no problem talking to you about where to go, the LSAT, or schools in general. I spent countless hours researching.

As for loans I won't have any so that's a plus. My fiancé has been footing the mortgage and I got a full ride where I'm going (which undoubtedly played into me going there).

Few things about law school:

1) Expect to end up at median wherever you go, and be okay with what those outcomes will be. That doesn't mean don't bust your ass off as you absolutely must, just know everyone else will be doing the same.
2) The LSAT is just a test, and you can and absolutely should retake if necessary.
3) Don't take the LSAT cold, it will do nothing but waste a potential retake.
4) When choosing a school find out where you want to live, and what you want to do. That is literally the most important factors. From there choose a school that will allow you to accomplish that while leaving with as little debt as possible.
5) schools really only care about a clear record, a high lsat, and high gpa. That is all they have to record, and what will make them look good. Other than that unless you're an olympian, or won the nobel peace prize, softs aren't as important.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #501
Kutanks

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT,2005 Saabaru 5MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't have an STI but currently own a 2005 Saab 9-2X. For those who don't know the Saabaru is a rebadged WRX Impreza wagon so it has AWD and turbo boxer engine. Since my car is so old and not worth too much in trade in my plan is to buy a used BRZ come spring and run both of them. The new WRX seems so much bigger than my car is now but I hate how it doesn't come in hatch form. If I fall in love with the BRZ maybe I will sell the saabaru privately but I did a lot of maintenance to that car and it has under 100k so it shouldn't need much to keep it another few years until I pay off the BRZ and am looking for an "adult" car. I'm 25 now so who knows where I'll be when I'm 28-30 years old hah
Kutanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 AM   #502
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutanks View Post
I don't have an STI but currently own a 2005 Saab 9-2X. For those who don't know the Saabaru is a rebadged WRX Impreza wagon so it has AWD and turbo boxer engine. Since my car is so old and not worth too much in trade in my plan is to buy a used BRZ come spring and run both of them. The new WRX seems so much bigger than my car is now but I hate how it doesn't come in hatch form. If I fall in love with the BRZ maybe I will sell the saabaru privately but I did a lot of maintenance to that car and it has under 100k so it shouldn't need much to keep it another few years until I pay off the BRZ and am looking for an "adult" car. I'm 25 now so who knows where I'll be when I'm 28-30 years old hah
Good plan. Before I got the FRS, I thought about getting a used saabaru.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #503
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post

Lol I'm honestly thinking with the release of the 2018 refresh WRX/STi models I'm hoping it'll make the 2015-2017s go down a little bit. I been really wanting a WRX lately.

I'm also curious as to what 2020 will bring for the new WRX and STi cars.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #504
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Lol I'm honestly thinking with the release of the 2018 refresh WRX/STi models I'm hoping it'll make the 2015-2017s go down a little bit. I been really wanting a WRX lately.

I'm also curious as to what 2020 will bring for the new WRX and STi cars.
I doubt it lol, WRXs and STis seem to hold their value extremely well.

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantobe For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-13-2017)