follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
tbwoodlee
I Void Warranties

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
How To Completely Rebadge Your FR-S

I have seen a few people asking recently about rebadging and I thought I would compile all the information into one post so it is easy to find. With some cash and some spare time, it is possible to remove all traces of Scion from your car, even that airbag emblem.

So without further delay, let's get started.

Toyota Emblems
Emblems can be purchased from a variety of places:
@FT86-SpeedFactory has them here:
http://ft86speedfactory.com/frs-gt86...blems-403.html
I ordered my emblems through these guys and they are gorgeous.

If you go a different route, you are looking Corolla Part# 90975-A2003 and Avalon Part# 90975-02069 (props to @Cade01 for this info)
@nigel-jdmparts pointed out that if you are going for completely authentic JDM rebadge, you will need a different set of badges. JDM badges have a red backing on them while USDM have a yellow backing on them. JDM badges start with a part #SU

Regardless of the origin, the badges have two pins that line up with your Scion badges so they are 100% compatible. The pin holes ensure they are centered and straight. A DIY by @FRSupra for removing the Scion emblems and installing your new Toyota emblems can be found here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25659

GT86 Emblem
Next up it is time to swap out the FR-S logo with a GT86 emblem. This can probably be purchased from vendors on this site, Luis at Carson Toyota comes to mind.
You can also purchase them at @nigel-jdmparts, the page is here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/toyota...e?keyword=gt86

These both use double-sided adhesive so there are no pins to worry about (or to guide you).

Airbag Emblem
You have a few options here, you can go with the JDM airbag which can be purchased here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...ota-86-air-bag
Special note about this, you are only getting the airbag, not a brand new steering wheel.

There is also a DIY by @doggy which is a much cheaper route and different look as well. His DIY can be found here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=airbag+emblem
This route will require you to obtain a Toyota airbag emblem and do some dremel/sanding work. While not too difficult, it is the hardest part about rebadging but the results are worth the time in my opinion. You can see my personal results on the second page in post #32

Wheel Caps
There are two options for wheel cap rebadging, brand new caps can be purchased here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...center-cap-set

You can also purchase a set of stickers here:
http://3dcarstickers.com/product/toy...enter-caps_6y/

Since I am not keeping my OEM wheels I opted for the stickers as a temporary solution. They look surprisingly good, no one will ever notice unless they are right up on them. You can see a picture of my stickers in this picture:
http://www.bwoodlee.com/rebadge/IMG_0265.JPG
I wasn't focusing on the stickers in the shot, but you can see them to get an idea how they look. They are not completely flat, but they are not as thick as the scion logo caps either.

If you decide to go with stickers you will need 48 millimeter stickers.

Floor Mats
You can get 86 mats here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...-mat-lhd-front

If you simply want to remove the FR-S plate, it is quite easy to do so. The FR-S plate is held on by two little rivets. They can be pried free with a flathead screwdriver. There will be an indentation in the floor mat from the plate. To fix this, get two or three ice cubes and place them on the indentation. Allow them to melt and the fabric will stand back up.

Trunk Mats
The Toyota Logo mat can be purchased here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...a-86-trunk-mat

The 86 Piston Logo Mat can be purchased here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...t-luggage-tray

Key Covers
Lets not forget about these guys!
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...-car-key-cover

They are very easy to put on, the original Scion key cover pries off easily with a small flat head screwdriver and the new Toyota cover just snaps in place.

The Head Unit
Scion just felt the need to put their name everywhere! I personally purchased a different head unit, more so for added functionality, the logo removal was an added bonus. However, I do believe it is possible to remove the logo as I have seen pictures of the basic head unit without the logo. I believe it can be rubbed off. Perhaps someone can chime in on this one.

Removing the Rear Bumper Applique
This is just a clear vinyl sticker than can be removed fairly easily. It is there to protect the paint. I have had mine off since August '12 and I have not had any paint issues, and I use my trunk daily to store my work bag.

To remove the the applique you will want peel very slowly. The sticker will stretch out as you are removing it, but don't worry, just keep peeling it. It will leave behind a residue and probably some adhesive so you will want to apply an adhesive remover to the entire area that the sticker covered. I used this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-529-Sticker-Remover/dp/B004M3F5CO"]Turtle Wax T-529 Label & Sticker Remover[/ame] and it worked wonderfully.

---

That should do it. If you are going completely authentic JDM it should be noted their 86 piston side markers are different than ours. Those are purchased here:
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...ide-vent-badge

Last edited by tbwoodlee; 02-26-2013 at 05:53 PM.
tbwoodlee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to tbwoodlee For This Useful Post:
086A (01-27-2013), 2014scionfrs (12-25-2014), aznknightz17 (03-02-2013), CaptainSlow (01-25-2013), chubky (05-08-2015), Dang Lad (02-28-2013), FastOnFastOff (11-26-2013), FRSupra (01-27-2013), FT-86 SpeedFactory (01-25-2013), GaN-MaN (01-24-2013), Gixxersixxerman (02-06-2013), kkakonn (05-11-2013), Mac1235 (01-24-2013), MmmHamSandwich (05-14-2013), nigel-jdmparts (01-24-2013), raphy (02-28-2013), Retro86 (02-05-2013), totally (07-19-2014), Wo6M (05-22-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Great post thanks for taking the time to do this!
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
ginstreet

Drives: Nissan GTR , BMW F10 M5, 86 TRD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in Asia currently . My 86 is already attached with the Toyota emblem, the 86 matts, etc . I cant seem to find Scion stuff ( emblems ), and in here, there are no Scions.. Well, considering how people who lives in the States already have their cars attached with the Scion emblems, but not in here, any clue on where I can find Scion emblems for the front and back? Thanks in advance.
ginstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
MikeM5

Drives: E90 M3, BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginstreet View Post
I live in Asia currently . My 86 is already attached with the Toyota emblem, the 86 matts, etc . I cant seem to find Scion stuff ( emblems ), and in here, there are no Scions.. Well, considering how people who lives in the States already have their cars attached with the Scion emblems, but not in here, any clue on where I can find Scion emblems for the front and back? Thanks in advance.
I bet there are people on the forum that would trade you in a heartbeat! Throw up a WTT thread and you're bound to get some offers.

Melbourne E90 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | ZN6 BRZ | CB550
MikeM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM5 For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (02-28-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
CaptainSlow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
$1900

Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
CaptainSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginstreet View Post

LOL classic case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence (er...ocean, I guess).
ericmpena (01-20-2014), ftc~brz (02-28-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
SethR

Drives: 2010 WW Lancer ES
OK well apparently I can't make a new topic for whatever stupid reason.. so I'm deciding between FR-S and rebadging to Toyota and doing custom push-to-start.. or BR-Z Limited so it will have nicer HVAC and push-to-start stock...

My question is how hard will it be to rebadge with Toyota? I'll buy a new airbag cover so no worries there.. Also be replacing the front badge.. so the main part is the rear badge... is it a direct swap for Toyota or will it need some fabricating?

And so that no one will ask WHY!?!? I like Toyota more than Subi.. but that's just my outlook on things
SethR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
CaptainSlow

I like Ferrari more than Scion...maybe I should start sourcing some prancing pony emblems

As for your question, though, I'm pretty sure everything just comes off...I think it's held on with 2 sided 3M tape, and uses 2 small posts (on the emblem) and holes (on the trunk) to assure alignment.

Check out this tutorial in the DIY section...shows you how to debadge the car...should be easy to figure out how to put the new badges on from there

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
SethR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I like Ferrari more than Scion...maybe I should start sourcing some prancing pony emblems

As for your question, though, I'm pretty sure everything just comes off...I think it's held on with 2 sided 3M tape, and uses 2 small posts (on the emblem) and holes (on the trunk) to assure alignment.

Check out this tutorial in the DIY section...shows you how to debadge the car...should be easy to figure out how to put the new badges on from there

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7296
haha "very funny"

And I'm talking about removing the rear Subi emblem.. Does it have holes? Or is the entire emblem just tape?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
FRSFirestorm
Red is Fastest

Drives: 13 FRS 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethR View Post
haha "very funny"

And I'm talking about removing the rear Subi emblem.. Does it have holes? Or is the entire emblem just tape?
It has holes.
FRSFirestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
CaptainSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethR View Post
haha "very funny"

It's the first thing in that link I posted. All of the emblems will be the same design on the backside.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
SethR

OK thanks! And just to make sure.. the Subaru badge has holes that line up with the Toyota badge?
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Good info OP. Could have added it to my thread.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
thx so much for this very useful DIY
idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emblem swap, gt86 emblems, jdm emblems, rebadge, toyota emblems