follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DIY - Scion FR-S "Scion" to Toyota "T" Badge

I think an actual thread for this has been long overdue, and I wanted to bring all the collected information into a DIY article for the Toyota badge swap.

First off I'd like to give a thank you to everyone who shares passion for Toyota performance and has been with Toyota and Scion since before the FR-S/86 launch. A thanks to all the Celica, Supra, and MR2 owners, to all the pre-2012 Scion owners who supported Scion since the beginning simply because they were Toyota, even with all the static from the enthusiast community. What's up to all the slammed tC's and clean kept Celicas.

This thread is meant for the FR-S, not the BR-Z. I can't think of any logical reason to put a "T" badge on a Subaru, or to put a Lexus badge on the FR-S for that matter.

Here is a quick breakdown of important imformation.

The Scion FR-S "Scion" emblems are identical to the Toyota 86 "T'" emblems in size and shape.

The front emblem is larger than the rear.

Front Logo Size : Width - About 11cm / Heigth - About 7.5cm

Rear Logo Size :Width - About 10cm / Heigth - About 6.8cm

The emblems on the front and rear are both snapped in with two small pegs, and held on with adhesive tape.

The replacement emblems have the same method of application, peg holes and 3M adhesive, which is already applied and line up identically.

Currently there is no way to remove the front emblem badge without breaking off the ends of the pins that sit inside the bumper, (push nuts) which will fall loose inside once broken.

The front emblem is a bitch.

The Toyota badges can be currently acquired in two different ways:
A)Through Carson Toyota, one of the vendors here on the forum. These are the JDM emblems that originally come on the 86. They average about $60.00 You can also call Luis at Carson Toyota directly @ 310-522-2383.
B)Through American Toyota dealerships. For the front emblem use the USDM REAR emblem off a 2012/2013 Toyota Corolla, as it will fit the FRONT of the FR-S exactly.
Part number 90975A2003. The average price is $46.00, but it can be matched to an online price, which has averaged $23.00.
For the rear emblem use the USDM "t" emblem off of Toyota Avalon, as it will fit the REAR of the FR-S exactly.
Part number 90975-02069. The average price matched online is about $10.00.

Some other quick information regarding the boxer 86/Scion FR-S badge:

The "boxer 86" emblem can be ordered at Toyota dealerships, or online though a vendor. Part number SU003-03125. It averages about $41.00.

The rear "FR-S" badge is held on only with adhesive tape.

These are the most important points owners have gathered for the DIY:

The paint on the front bumper is very thin, use as much caution as possible and focus when around this area.

When removing the badges, it is recommended the most to use Goo Gone. Do NOT confuse this with Goof-Off. DO NOT use goof-off.
Lacquer thinner can also be used, and like goo gone, it will not harm your clear coat.

When removing the badges, it is recommended the most to use a hair dryer, although a lot of owners have used a heat gun. It's best to let the car heat up in the summer sun before attempting this DIY.
Never kept a hair dryer or heat gun in one location on the car, as it can damage the clear coat/paint. Work in circular motions.

When removing the badges, it is recommended the most to use dental floss in a swaying motion to work through the adhesive. It will take multiple pieces, as it will break. Fishing line can also be used.

When removing the excess adhesive, roll it with your finger tips and not your finger nails.

Once the badge and all the excess adhesive has been removed, clean and apply a coat of wax to the area.

Be patient.

The DIY in pictures:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
Easy to do, looks good.

Before you begin, you need an FR-S with badges.

You also need:
- window tinting hard squeegie
- heat gun
- lacquer thinner
- cleaner and wax

Start by using the tint squeegie to work behind the emblem. The tool is plastic that won't scratch your clearcoat.

Hit the leftover adhesive with the heat gun. Make sure you move it around so that you don't hurt your paint. You just need to get the adhesive warm.

Once the adhesive is warm you can peel it off with your fingers. There will still be a little bit of residue left.

Use lacquer thinner with a soft cloth to remove the residue without hurting your clearcoat. Don't scrub it, just get it wet and then use your finger to remove larger chunks.

The finished product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
part number 90975A2003

This is the Toyota "T" emblem for the REAR of the 2012-13 Corolla it is the exact size and shape as the FRONT emblem of our FR-S.[/B]

Why did I not investigate changing out the rear emblem? Because I already changed that out to something different:

See this post for more details on that. And here's some more pics of my car.

Cheers,

Dave

Quote:
Part number SU003-03125:

Here's the "before":

Got out my fine-point panel removal tool, a soft, lint-free wipe, and some goo-gone

Using the correct tool for the job is very important for any job. In this case it made emblem removal a piece of cake. The old emblem came off in a jiffy and did not mar the surface whatsoever. Super easy. Took 10 seconds. I think it was helped by the 100-degree heat we had today. Used my fingers to roll up the small amount of "goo" left behind. Barely needed the goo-gone:

Note the two peg-holes and the small dimple in the trunk lid molding. This dimple makes it very easy to align and center the replacement emblem. Also note, the alignment pegs on the new emblem are the opposite layout as the original emblem:

Easily remedied with a needle nose pliers -- I just broke off the pegs from the new emblem:

Carefully aligned the new emblem, peel, and stick. I did use a pencil to very lightly mark where to line it up, just as a precaution. Voila!:

Here's another view:

Last step -- remove the FR-S emblem to complete the clean-up of the rear view. It came off just as easily as the other one:

So, I'm very happy with the effect. To me it nicely simplifies, and visually cleans up, the rear perspective of the car.

Cheers,

Dave
Quote:

It is this version of the Corolla (note the chrome bar across the back end and the updated taillights. It can be either an "LE" or an "S" model, they both use the same oval "T" emblem):

Not this Corolla (pre-2012 facelift), because it has a larger "T" emblem:

Cheers,

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carban View Post

heres an actual pic of the back of the JDM gt 86 toyota emblems

Quote:
Originally Posted by imravenit View Post
So i followed the flossing technique... I did not use a blow dryer.. I was afraid if i heat it up a bit i might chip the paint specially in the front badge..

Tools used:

1. Applied goo gone around badges..

2. Flossed badges in a sawing motion while pulling towards me

3. Quick waxed after all goos are gone!
Quote:
Update: I finally got around to installing my USDM 2013 Corolla rear badge (Toyota part number 90975A2003) on the front of the FR-S. Like the previous posters, I can confirm that the pegs line up perfectly and the dimensions are identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austell View Post

Original

Debadged w/86 badge

This DIY was made with a collection of information from other threads and members of the forum. It's possible because of those who tried it first, and risked damage to their car. A big thank you to everyone who collected and contributed. If you can add to this information let me know.

Shout-out and thanks to:

DarrenDriven, Ahausheer, Godzilla, Bmf, Dietz, Avusblue, Carban, Rrnold, Gen, Imravenit, Krazyk, Trojan_sc, Dadhawk, Iderek, wingsofwar, nocurfew

Last edited by FRSupra; 01-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
avusblue (01-05-2013), Bullnettles (05-21-2013), Carban (01-24-2013), Dadhawk (01-24-2013), dave77 (02-06-2014), DragonDriver5 (02-26-2014), FastOnFastOff (11-26-2013), FurY (02-14-2013), gunmetal5 (01-13-2013), Kristian (08-31-2016), mfbmike (08-25-2013), Mini Cooper S (08-10-2014), nocurfew (01-07-2013), notout86 (08-14-2016), RallySport Direct (01-05-2013), ravenblackfrs (01-08-2013), Ricky Racer (01-12-2013), shafted (09-10-2015), sinigang_guy (02-25-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
mach330

Drives: Ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thank you. Definitely my next project.

Tap'd from my G-Nex
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Thanks! This is great info

Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Sweetness
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I thought there was someone who put the emblem from an Avalon on the back of their frs? Not sure though.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
FRSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I thought there was someone who put the emblem from an Avalon on the back of their frs? Not sure though.
can anyone verify this?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
nocurfew

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
can anyone verify this?
I can. I purchased part# 90975-02069 which is from an Avalon. It fit perfectly with the pins in the correct locations and only cost $7.00.
nocurfew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocurfew For This Useful Post:
albert.kaki11 (12-14-2014), FRSupra (01-08-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
FRSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocurfew View Post
I can. I purchased part# 90975-02069 which is from an Avalon. It fit perfectly with the pins in the correct locations and only cost $7.00.
Nice. Do you have pictures you'd like to share? Also, did you purchase from a dealership?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
smbrm

Drives: Scion FRS Ht Lva(AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
While you may be able to get away with using lacquer thinner sparingly, I would suggest this is fraught with danger if you get carried away. Lacquer thinner is a form of paint stripper! I am not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done, just I wouldn't use it if there was an alternative.

Otherwise a comprehensive how-to article.
smbrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Joeprelude

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2002 WRX Wagon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrm View Post
While you may be able to get away with using lacquer thinner sparingly, I would suggest this is fraught with danger if you get carried away. Lacquer thinner is a form of paint stripper! I am not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done, just I wouldn't use it if there was an alternative.

Otherwise a comprehensive how-to article.

Lacquer thinner is perfectly safe for cars as long as you use a polish after. Cars nowadays use acrylic paint from the factory not lacquer based.
Joeprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeprelude For This Useful Post:
FRSupra (01-08-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
nocurfew

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
Nice. Do you have pictures you'd like to share? Also, did you purchase from a dealership?

I'll take some pictures and post them up tomorrow. And yes, I did purchase them at the dealership. I forget which website it was, but I had them price match the cheapest price I saw online.
nocurfew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nocurfew For This Useful Post:
albert.kaki11 (12-14-2014), FRSupra (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
FRSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocurfew View Post
I'll take some pictures and post them up tomorrow. And yes, I did purchase them at the dealership. I forget which website it was, but I had them price match the cheapest price I saw online.
Awesome. I'll update the the thread with your information as soon as you get the pictures.

Thank's again!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Lacquer thinner is unnecessarily harsh. Just use wax on a warm day (or heat up the residue a bit before peeling it off).

Why use a machete to perform surgery when a scalpel will do?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
emutcfut

Drives: 2013 Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! Waiting for my badges in the mail to do this.

Does anyone know the P/N for the "TOYOTA" badge on the lower left of the trunk? Would love to have this one too to complete the look.
emutcfut is offline   Reply With Quote