follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #743
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Have you ever considered running a lower temp thermostat and lowering your fan activation temperature in EcuTek?
not on the thermostat but before i put the turbo in i had the wayno fan mod engaged in my OFH stage 2 tune as well as cold start mod. I intend to have those back in my final tune once i get that from shiv. I asked him to go ahead and put those in for me but not sure if he'll have the time, no biggie to put it back in again.

I'm not autox'ing so just spirited street driving but i'll watching these temps like a hawk with the final tune and the fan mod to see if that helps.

also thinking of dropping my metal skid plate and giving it to my shop at work with their louvre bender to get some better venting on the bottom.
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #744
Gutterboy

High Air intake temperature

I have installed an sbd turbo and just noticed my air intake temperature sits at about 100F once the car is warm.

Any recommendations on how to heatsheild the intake and with what material to give the intercooler a better chance to bring these temps down?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #745
AJPG

Drives: 22RE, FA20, 4G63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutterboy View Post
I have installed an sbd turbo and just noticed my air intake temperature sits at about 100F once the car is warm.

Any recommendations on how to heatsheild the intake and with what material to give the intercooler a better chance to bring these temps down?
And out side temps?

I live in eternal tropic, so cold is around 70f and hot 95f you have to look at the calendar to know the season... Anyway for the centrifugal sc I have 20 degrees above out side temps are normal (if the car isn't moving). If the car is running thing change but for the best.
AJPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #746
Gutterboy

Turbo intake temps

Ambient was 77f at those recorded iat temps of a max of 104F
Old 07-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #747
RedFR-s
Builder/Driver/Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Turbo Firestorm
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've read nearly all of this thread (it is very long now) and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for my build.

I've got the FA20Club turbo and headers, AEM methanol injection, louvered hood, and I've removed the skid plates. I have an oil cooler to go on the car at my next chance. On the track for 15min sessions she has zero issues. 2 hour drives at highway speeds, she drives like a dream.

I sat in stop and go traffic for about 1.5hrs and she overheated on me twice. Cut fueling the one time and died on the highway. Ambient was like 40 C with high humidity. Cooled down enough to pull off then sat for 45min with the hood up.

What is my best option for keeping the temps down in traffic? I'm looking at adding the shroud and bigger fans, and playing with the windshield cowl to vent more heat out. Is there something else I should try?
2013 Honda CBR 250 Repsol- Toy
2017 Toyota Tacoma - The Rig
RedFR-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #748
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFR-s View Post
I've read nearly all of this thread (it is very long now) and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for my build.

I've got the FA20Club turbo and headers, AEM methanol injection, louvered hood, and I've removed the skid plates. I have an oil cooler to go on the car at my next chance. On the track for 15min sessions she has zero issues. 2 hour drives at highway speeds, she drives like a dream.

I sat in stop and go traffic for about 1.5hrs and she overheated on me twice. Cut fueling the one time and died on the highway. Ambient was like 40 C with high humidity. Cooled down enough to pull off then sat for 45min with the hood up.

What is my best option for keeping the temps down in traffic? I'm looking at adding the shroud and bigger fans, and playing with the windshield cowl to vent more heat out. Is there something else I should try?

A laminova/ water to oil type of cooler like the Forester XT Oil Cooler that is always cooling the oil. I have been running it for roughly a month now...driving it hard in stop and go Tampa traffic and haven't seen oil temps go above 210. There is a website called Never Ending Details that has them for $230.00 give or take.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amputechture For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #749
AJPG

Garage
Quote:

Shrouds should be enough, but what fans are you using?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016), Sportsguy83 (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #750
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
A laminova/ water to oil type of cooler like the Forester XT Oil Cooler that is always cooling the oil. I have been running it for roughly a month now...driving it hard in stop and go Tampa traffic and haven't seen oil temps go above 210. There is a website called Never Ending Details that has them for $230.00 give or take.

No, no, no, no! The oil to water oilcooler only will over heat worse at trafic. Why? Because it puts more heat (stress) on the radiator and its overheating now... What redfrs need are shrouds and maybe the oil to air oilcooler, (no additional stress to the radiator), instead a saparate radiator for the oil.

Btw the laminova isn't alwas cooling the oil, it could get to operating temps faster due to heat transfer from the coolant to the oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to AJPG For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #751
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
DO NOT do this.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #752
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

They still sell turbo kits? Wow...

Buy a proper oil cooler and maybe a fan to blow on it. No oil/water BS. Maybe get a larger radiator. Wrap the header. Blanket the turbo. But really, the car should NOT overheat in traffic. Maybe something wrong with the tune? Is it not turning the fans on? Who tuned it for you anyway? Please don't say "FA20Club".
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #753
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPG View Post
No, no, no, no! The oil to water oilcooler only will over heat worse at trafic. Why? Because it puts more heat (stress) on the radiator and its overheating now... What redfrs need are shrouds and maybe the oil to air oilcooler, (no additional stress to the radiator), instead a saparate radiator for the oil.

Btw the laminova isn't alwas cooling the oil, it could get to operating temps faster due to heat transfer from the coolant to the oil.
My reading comprehension is pretty bad apparently . For some reason I was under the impression he was speaking of oil temp problems rather than coolant. You are right, water coolers will tax your coolant more.
Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #754
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
No reason why you can't try removing the hood seal in front of the windshield. yes, it's a high pressure area, but only if you're moving. in stop and go traffic, it's another vent for the engine compartment when you don't have much air flow through the radiator. i've tried this and found that on my way home in stop and go traffic, my oil and water temps are a couple of degrees cooler than with the hood seal by the time i get home. i kept it in my trunk to stick back on if i was going anywhere other than sitting in traffic.
takes 10 seconds to put back on and even quicker to remove, so try experimenting with it.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #755
AJPG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
They still sell turbo kits? Wow...

Buy a proper oil cooler and maybe a fan to blow on it. No oil/water BS. Maybe get a larger radiator. Wrap the header. Blanket the turbo. But really, the car should NOT overheat in traffic. Maybe something wrong with the tune? Is it not turning the fans on? Who tuned it for you anyway? Please don't say "FA20Club".
The car is overheating at trafic only and don't have shroud, what should be done next?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:30 AM   #756
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've read nearly all of this thread (it is very long now) and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for my build......
I'm assuming you have aftermarket fans with no fan shroud?

That is your problem. Get FBM shroud and Spal fans kit, problems solved.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
RedFR-s (07-26-2016)