follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
CaptainSlow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
But the TRD wing requires drilling, doesn't it? I liked this option because there was no drilling involved...also costs more and comes unpainted...out of my budget
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
But the TRD wing requires drilling, doesn't it? I liked this option because there was no drilling involved...also costs more and comes unpainted...out of my budget
No not really. It has two bolt holes, but I don't why you would have to use them. There are also 2 other copies. One from Zeta (slightly modified) and some other one that I can think of. It's in the commercial section though.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
seems like the Zeta spoiler has better reputation at the forum.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I have the TRD wing and it does not need to be drilled. Yes, it comes with two tabs to drill in the trunk, but I simply just cut them off. Don't need to add two more holes to an already holey ass trunk from my BRZ limited wing

It does come painted, but only black/white. I am lucky and have white. Match was perfect, fitment was perfect.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly. I love the design. I originally wanted the 5-axis piece, but it was just a little too subdued to justify $450. Then I saw this piece and got really excited...just a little more aggressive and a little cheaper. I ordered it, then saw your post...then had something come up that same weekend, and now I'm having regrets on the purchase before even getting the piece
Shipment comes next week said that mine should ship out next week.. Emailed them about canceling it.. Still want it.. But still having a eh feeling if I get it and see that issue.. This is the only wing I dig.. Have couple of days to make up my mind..
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
CaptainSlow

My take is that right now it's the only one I can justify the cost of...everything else is either not my style or too expensive, so i'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out I'll sell it (or return it if it's early enough) and just go without a spoiler
Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
CaptainSlow

So...received the spoiler yesterday and had a chance to put it on today. Looks like the fitment issue isn't just a random thing. The fitment on this spoiler is TERRIBLE. Color was a bit off, but nothing I couldn't live with. The fitment was so bad I had to take it off, and wrote an email to the store to see if I can return it. Not trying to bash a vendor/member, as he isn't the one making these pieces...but people should know what they are getting when they order a Stivo spoiler.

This was with the spoiler installed so that the part that goes on the back of the trunk (above the license plate well), was flush with the trunk. This is how the rest of it lined up based on that:

Note in that last picture that you can see both the 3M tape AND the inside of the spoiler from the passenger's side.

Anyway, really hope I can get a refund on the part. Just sucks when stuff doesn't work out, but I guess that's what I get for trying to take a cheaper route. Guess I'll save up for the TRD piece either way
Cop (08-28-2015)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
touge-n00b
Storm Vanguard ONE

Drives: SCCA-HI CS-22 FRS
Wow. I just got mine and installed it on Friday, and can honestly say my fitment is not that bad.

It's not the best pic, but here's a pic of how mine sits:

Is it perfect fitment? No. But it's definitely not as bad as your's looks...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #23
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
With the help of a local friend (kask2_6.0) I re-installed mine today. So far it seems like it's fitting much better. I think we figured out a big part of the problem.

On the far right and left side there are these plastic pieces (trapezoid.. almost triangles).. They are double side taped on both sides.. they stick to the underside of the spoiler and *SHOULD* be at perfectly level with the edges so that they add more surface area to fix to the car. As I was re-installing these two pieces I noticed that if I put them back in the original position they actually stuck out higher than the edge of the spoiler corners.. which would of course make it nearly impossible to keep those edges down. So we used a straight edge and moved the plastic pieces a little further in to get a perfect level with the edge of the spoiler. This helped a ton!

Second thing we figured out is that in order to get those top front corners to lay down correctly (and the curve in the top of the trunk to match) the spoiler is actually about 1/16" of an inch off center to the back of the trunk. It's just a bad mold... Anyway I decided I'd rather have the top lay down correctly and get a good seal and good fit there.. so I sacrificed the "perfect" fit on the bottom edge. It's not glaring... most people wouldn't notice unless they really look at it and stare at it.

Anyway.. I used my own 3m tape (1" width on most edges) and the 1/2" width on a few tight spots. I used rubbing alcohol to clean it first, then I used the 3m adhesion promoter. Then we used a heat gun to get a little melt in the tape, then stuck it on, then used more heat on the corners and held them down for a while. Then put a few towels over the whole thing and stacked some heavy items from the garage on top of the towels for the night. If this doesn't work then nothing will.

I wish I would have bought the TRD.. I didn't know it existed or was available when I ordered the Stivo version. Still, if it stays on and keeps it's fit and shape now I'll be ok with the final product.

I think the only issue I have now is that I put the new tape a little too close to the edges so you can see the tape a bit from the outside.. almost like a gasket. But I was thinking I'd rather have that issue than have the tape not hold it down.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Photo of the corner pieces he's talking about:

Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I got mine installed about a week ago, Mine looks flush with the car. didn't even use a heat gun, just a lot of pressure. posted pics on wheeldude's page.

Here's a link.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=29589&page=8
Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #26
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
After a night to "cure" underneath some weight I think it's finally set and done.

From 6 feet away it looks perfect.

From 3 feet it looks good..

from 6 inches you can still see that it's not a perfect fit.

This last picture looks bad.. worse than what it seems in person.

Part of that is design and part of that is my taping job. But I'm fine with the results and I think my excess tape is extra insurance against it coming loose in the future.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #27
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Carsmo

/thread
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 PM   #28
CaptainSlow

I tried looking at it again today, and it just won't work even how you suggested. Fitment on my spoiler was just too bad, unfortunately. Glad to hear they worked out well for some members. I'd hate to think they were selling nothing but poor-fitting pieces. Just looks like there's a good deal of variability in their molding process.