follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #155
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I am stupid but I'm not giving anybody any fun rides!
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #156
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I am stupid but I'm not giving anybody any fun rides!
I am stupid, old, and opinionated

I have all of the requirements of a interwebs expert

Strap up and hold on
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #157
zachseidy39

Drives: 2014 base manual Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wouldn't mind the car being a hatch or the interior looking a little nicer etc. but honestly i hope they don't change anything on this car besides the uninspiring boxer motor. I know it will never happen but this car would be perfection with either a fun power band NA 2 liter like the motors in the old Toyota XRS/beams/4age etc. or a turbo 2L like an sr20det or 3s-gte. They were so close to building the perfect new age exciting, cheap, light sports coupe but, the subaru powerplant just made it way less fun than it could have been.
zachseidy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zachseidy39 For This Useful Post:
86MLR (10-02-2019), JesseG (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #158
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Do not change much, the platform is great as-is.

1. Relocate the turn signals so they do not interfere with front bumper removal.

2. A second fuel pump in tank or a surge tank to prevent gas starvation, should be able to run on gas fumes like NA Miatas.

3. Optional Recaro seats (go and sit in a Civic Type R).

4. 2.4L N/A high revving engine with 230-240 bhp and a bit more torque (may need beefier brakes too). This will allow us to tune the car to 230-240 whp which should be just perfect for hpde's.

5. Factory oil cooler.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (10-03-2019), TunaNoCrust (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #159
TunaNoCrust

Drives: 86, 981S, RX8, 2500HD, GenesisV8
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My wish list...

Realistic:
1) I don't care for the sound quality, a premium stereo option would be nice.
2) ARP Wheel Studs
3) I like the RS option mentioned.

Semi-Unrealistic:
1) Have Porsche develop a new FA20...based off a 981 GT4 that would be 250-260hp...make it rev to 9krpm, and PDK...I'd buy one right now.
2) Big stupid yet functional aero options, I like big wings I cannot lie.
3) Factory backed Spec Class
TunaNoCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #160
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Seeing a lot of derision over coupe vs hatchback, so i guess I should stay out of it...

I like fastbacks a lot though.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #161
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Club sport option might be interesting

what about keeping a 2.0 for the normies who just want the car
but having a "club" m odel like miata does with the bigger engine, manual only but with the sachs, brembos and 4.3 diff..

would scoot!

Id also be for the turn signals being moved. they are kinda in a bad spot for guys who pop them out on hard cornering..

220 whould be nice but id like 200 ft lbs! that would make it feel more spry

and front double wishbone.. come on guys
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #162
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You poop out side markers while cornering?
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #163
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
You poop out side markers while cornering?
Yeah on compression and hard cornering angles the tires will pop them out and ruin the "a" clip alotta guys resort to taping them up
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #164
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Last year of 86, MT with 206 HP =]
Old 10-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #165
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachseidy39 View Post
Wouldn't mind the car being a hatch or the interior looking a little nicer etc. but honestly i hope they don't change anything on this car besides the uninspiring boxer motor. I know it will never happen but this car would be perfection with either a fun power band NA 2 liter like the motors in the old Toyota XRS/beams/4age etc. or a turbo 2L like an sr20det or 3s-gte. They were so close to building the perfect new age exciting, cheap, light sports coupe but, the subaru powerplant just made it way less fun than it could have been.

In Subaru’s defense I think they would have rather used a turbo boxer engine. Toyota wanted to keep the car NA, no exceptions, and they have stuck to it. I have a feeling Subaru would not object because Toyota is a much bigger company, and that seems to be Japanese culture. (I’m not Japanese but that is what it looks like to me).
I would love for the 2nd gen twins to have an updated flat 4 or even 6 cylinder engine. I like that the boxer engine allows for such a low COG and front end. The front of a 86 is crazy low, not ride height but center of gravity, I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #166
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I use to think the low COG was some marketing bullsh*t, but I really noticed it right away when I first drove the FR-S. My S2k felt like weight was moving around so slow in comparison.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLuveKetchup For This Useful Post:
JesseG (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #167
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
I like the car as it is. This car is a great platform for modifications. I don't need the car to come from the factory perfect, nor do I need it to be exactly as I would modify it. Of course, the PP option or other options would be nice, but I would like to see the price stay low, and I doubt this car will see many trims or different options like we have seen over the years from the Impreza/WRX/STI.

These are things that would go the furthest in my book, that save me the most money and/or that I simply can not do as an aftermarket add on.

1. I don't care about more power from the factory. I want more reliability for FI without a drop in compression. Getting more than 350whp with stock internals would be great, so I want stronger rods and pistons. Maybe titanium, sodium filled valves, a closed deck, or engine bracing. Something to give the motor a better base for upgrades for FI. I can't see them putting in a 2.4L and making it significantly beefier, or adding a turbo while dropping compression, and again, making it significantly beefier. My suggestion is doable with the addition of quality materials and minimal R&D.

2. Along the same lines, a beefier transmission would be nice. If the engine and transmission could handle the torque typically associated with 500whp then that would be great because the vast majority of FI users could avoid having to do an engine build while getting more power if the engine and transmission weren't ticking time bombs.

3. I always thought I wanted the option for 4 seats. Not anymore. There are enough 4-seater options in the market, and I used the rear seats less than a few weeks worth of days in the last five years. If they want to do something practical then keep the seats and add a fastback/hatch for improved practicality. If not then I would prefer to ditch the rear seats in favor of moving the driver and the engine more to the middle like the S2000, so a 50/50 weight distribution and a shorter wheel base are high on the list, and I believe an added bonus would be improved chassis stiffness.

4. I'm approaching 40, so static suspension is looking less fun each year. I would take active suspension, so the car can transition between comfort, sport and track. Those looking to upgrade the OEM suspension to aftermarket coilovers will be swapping out the system anyways to static compression, so this shouldn't change much except raise the entry price, but I believe it would be worth it for many users.

5. Lastly, the one item that would really add to daily use, especially in California, especially in a warming climate, would be ventilated seats. I really appreciate the heated seats for those cold days, and I would equally appreciate ventilated seats on the warm days. Specifically, this would be great after the gym; it would be great when you don't want back sweat on a nice, fancy shirt; and it would be great, so I am not shifting in my seat as much on hot days.

Those are my top five. Honorable mentions are blind-spot, warning lights on the side mirrors (shouldn't these be standard equipment on all cars?), track camera with the PP option, factory turbo, and reworked gauges.
JesseG (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #168
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,591 Times in 2,933 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I like the car as it is. This car is a great platform for modifications. I don't need the car to come from the factory perfect, nor do I need it to be exactly as I would modify it. Of course, the PP option or other options would be nice, but I would like to see the price stay low, and I doubt this car will see many trims or different options like we have seen over the years from the Impreza/WRX/STI.

These are things that would go the furthest in my book, that save me the most money and/or that I simply can not do as an aftermarket add on.

1. I don't care about more power from the factory. I want more reliability for FI without a drop in compression. Getting more than 350whp with stock internals would be great, so I want stronger rods and pistons. Maybe titanium, sodium filled valves, a closed deck, or engine bracing. Something to give the motor a better base for upgrades for FI. I can't see them putting in a 2.4L and making it significantly beefier, or adding a turbo while dropping compression, and again, making it significantly beefier. My suggestion is doable with the addition of quality materials and minimal R&D.

2. Along the same lines, a beefier transmission would be nice. If the engine and transmission could handle the torque typically associated with 500whp then that would be great because the vast majority of FI users could avoid having to do an engine build while getting more power if the engine and transmission weren't ticking time bombs.

3. I always thought I wanted the option for 4 seats. Not anymore. There are enough 4-seater options in the market, and I used the rear seats less than a few weeks worth of days in the last five years. If they want to do something practical then keep the seats and add a fastback/hatch for improved practicality. If not then I would prefer to ditch the rear seats in favor of moving the driver and the engine more to the middle like the S2000, so a 50/50 weight distribution and a shorter wheel base are high on the list, and I believe an added bonus would be improved chassis stiffness.

4. I'm approaching 40, so static suspension is looking less fun each year. I would take active suspension, so the car can transition between comfort, sport and track. Those looking to upgrade the OEM suspension to aftermarket coilovers will be swapping out the system anyways to static compression, so this shouldn't change much except raise the entry price, but I believe it would be worth it for many users.

5. Lastly, the one item that would really add to daily use, especially in California, especially in a warming climate, would be ventilated seats. I really appreciate the heated seats for those cold days, and I would equally appreciate ventilated seats on the warm days. Specifically, this would be great after the gym; it would be great when you don't want back sweat on a nice, fancy shirt; and it would be great, so I am not shifting in my seat as much on hot days.

Those are my top five. Honorable mentions are blind-spot, warning lights on the side mirrors (shouldn't these be standard equipment on all cars?), track camera with the PP option, factory turbo, and reworked gauges.
I have been a supporter of leaving the power the same but beefing up the internals and transmission. It would really help since the owner can then do what they like. I know beefing the transmission would add weight but that could be compensated in other ways I'm sure.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-04-2019), JesseG (10-05-2019)