follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Best All Around Tire

So I currently have the stock rims on my car with Michelin Pilot SS's. I have had them for a little over a year and for the second time in less than a month I have hydroplaned in the rain at not fast speeds. As such, in an attempt to prolong my life as well as my cars I want to switch to a more reliable rain tire. Having said that I want to compromise as little as possible in the handling dry department. It would also be a plus to have a tire that is quiter than the SS's because those make the cabin fairly unpleasant on the freeway. Also I will be transitioning to rims 18x19.5 as opposed to the stock 17x7 rims. Please give me yalls opinion!!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Lower profile tires will make the noise worse.
Mpss are considered the best all around for performance and mild wet weather conditions.
You will lose dry grip if you want to get more wet weather grip.

You will have to compromise.
dry grip or wet grip
big wheel/low profile tires, less comfort. Smaller wheel/bigger sidewalls= more comfort.

Look at tirerack.com for reviews. mpss are pretty much near the top for an all around tire.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well my two cents, I don't recommend Michelin PSS. If you can get them for a cheap price, then and only then would I consider it. There are way better tires that are way cheaper.

I'm convinced that most of the PSS fans bought them solely because of the dealership or tire guy wanted them to stick to the OEM brand just to make more money

So far the top tires I had that are good in the rain where the Dunlops Direzzas and the Yokohama S. Drives.

My best tires that where good in the rain where the Dunlops Star Specs and Hankook RS3. But those are more for weeken trips to the track or autox. They could do daily driving but you won't get comfort or quite.

Just how fast where you going when you hydroplane? No tire will make you go faster in the rain. You'll hydroplane at one point or another.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I have had direzzas and sdrives on fwd cars. Neither impressed and both wore out very quickly. A non summer tire with deeper grooves will likely do better in the rain. Check the tire rack reviews.

I did get a set of Michelin all season tires but I haven't put the wheels on yet.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:35 AM   #5
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Pilot Sport A/S 3 ?

Or you can go 16 if you want comfort/sport. there is a reason base model twins in other country comes with the base 16" rim. You can get performance tires on them & still be comfy cuz all that side wall. O.o 16X8 gives you best of both world?
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #6
KenTK808

Drives: White 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ive had S. Drives and Direzza star specs on multiple cars and have never hydroplaned. It rains almost everyday here in Hawaii and the roads are the worst in the country. TBH people will have all their own opinions on tires so I just treat it all as here-say. The only way you will get the right tire for you is if you test drive other FRSs with different tires or you just buy the one with the highest rating and see how you like them. Don't like them?, next time you buy tires, just try a different brand or model. Best all around tire? I think price per performance I would go for the S. Drives. I buy Direzza Star Specs for the driving feel and predictability, even though they are only marginally better than S. Drives but with a higher price tag.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Garage
Thanks for the replys, and I actually hydroplaned at 60 mph and I wasn't accelerating. This occurred during the storms yesterday in the Dallas ft worth area. After ******* myself I turned the snow mode on to help gain extra traction need be and to my surprise the tires broke loose again less than 30 minutes later at about the same speed. So I'm hoping a fatter tire will help with the issue.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
Thanks for the replys, and I actually hydroplaned at 60 mph and I wasn't accelerating. This occurred during the storms yesterday in the Dallas ft worth area. After ******* myself I turned the snow mode on to help gain extra traction need be and to my surprise the tires broke loose again less than 30 minutes later at about the same speed. So I'm hoping a fatter tire will help with the issue.
60mph is pretty quick. Not surprised you hydroplaned at that speed. If you're basing an opinion off that, you should probably reconsider.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (10-24-2015), Bg8780 (10-23-2015), EAGLE5 (10-23-2015), soulreapersteve (10-23-2015), TheVoiceOfReason (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #9
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
A fatter/wider tyre will make the problem worse, not better. You'll be reducing the ground pressure of the tyre and therefore decreasing the amount of water needed to "lift" the tyre to aquaplane.

Firstly you need to reduce speed (drive to conditions) - any tyre will eventually float if you are going fast enough in bad conditions.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (10-23-2015), Cole (10-23-2015), MightyMeeple (10-27-2015), soulreapersteve (10-23-2015), totopo (10-23-2015), Toyarzee (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Also, snow mode isn't going to gain you traction at speed, the purpose is to help with starting on slippery roads by starting the car off in second gear. The best way to deal with rain and standing water is simply to slow your speed. And Panman is right, wider tired will make rain traction worse.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yelsew For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (10-23-2015), Cole (10-23-2015), EAGLE5 (10-23-2015), soulreapersteve (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
DrDuquette

Drives: 2013 Premium White, 2006 TL
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post
A fatter/wider tyre will make the problem worse, not better. You'll be reducing the ground pressure of the tyre and therefore decreasing the amount of water needed to "lift" the tyre to aquaplane.

Firstly you need to reduce speed (drive to conditions) - any tyre will eventually float if you are going fast enough in bad conditions.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DrDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
On the PSS, 80% of the inside of the tire is a winter/wet optimized compound optimized and the last outer edge for dry handling.
I have been through a decent amount of rain in Florida and never hydroplaned on my PSS but I also never tried going 60 mph in rain either.
I can't see a tire being much better in the dry than the PSS for every day driving and I just hanen't had any issues with them in water.
The tire initially "peels" away from the inside of my garage like it is tacky and stuck there after sitting there for a while. The only way
I have found that I can lose traction is turning off the driving aids. The only place around here that the speed limit is even high enough to
get 60 mph are the interstate roads and those never have standing water. Can't figure how you hit standing water on a 60 mph road?

Here is a video of the PSS in the wet and it does pretty admirably: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fbQ-h6ikE"]Michelin Pilot Super Sport Ultra High Performance Tire Wet Handling - YouTube[/ame]
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
So I currently have the stock rims on my car with Michelin Pilot SS's. I have had them for a little over a year and for the second time in less than a month I have hydroplaned in the rain at not fast speeds. As such, in an attempt to prolong my life as well as my cars I want to switch to a more reliable rain tire. Having said that I want to compromise as little as possible in the handling dry department. It would also be a plus to have a tire that is quiter than the SS's because those make the cabin fairly unpleasant on the freeway. Also I will be transitioning to rims 18x19.5 as opposed to the stock 17x7 rims. Please give me yalls opinion!!!!

Look into Nitto Invos. I have those and they are amazingstreet tire. They shine in the rain and are amazingly quite. They do lack alittle dry performance (vs high performance tires) though but they are stillbetter then stock and an upgrade everywhere else (but snow). Only down side isthe smallest size they make them in is 225/45R/17 but those still fit stockrims. They are also fairly heavy tire to incase you care.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
The best all around tire is mpss. Maybe get a good all season tire that is good in the rain? You can look on tire rack for good reviews. Also keep in mind that RWD cars lose traction a lot easier in the rain. I've lost traction a few times in the rain with stock oem tires. My guess Is that you probably just need to slow down. That's what I had to do.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote