follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #1135
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
They are just grasping for reasons to not cover the repair now... what happened to the service advisor that promised that it would all be covered under warranty? Do you have proof of timely oil changes to present to them?

They almost certainly cleaned it up before you showed up, they aren’t going to leave incriminating evidence of their shoddy work. It’s too big of a coincidence that your engine failed shortly after they worked on it.

It is possible for the rtv to end up anywhere in the engine... that is the root of the whole issue. There could be some inside of your oil filter, but it would be hard to present that as evidence after you’ve brought the filter home as they could try to claim you tampered with the filter or that you can’t prove at a later date that the filter was even the one on your engine at the time of failure. Good luck, you have a battle on your hands... don’t back down.

The service advisor handed me off to the guy in charge of the garage and wasn't seen from again. This was around 5:30pm on a Friday. Unfortunately I do not have proof of oil changes, I never really thought this would ever be a thing that was necessary, clearly I was wrong.
You're definitely right about the Oil filter unfortunately. Not sure how much it may matter, but I intend on recording when we open it up(hopefully later on this evening) with my neighbors tube/pipe(?) cutter. I mean would someone really just have an oil filter lying around that would (hopefully) have bits of RTV inside of it?
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #1136
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfrz91 View Post

https://m.imgur.com/a/FCuFkQS
not sure entirely what I was looking at. To me that grey stuff looks like the rtv but the mechanic said that wasn't possible for it to be there. I took my oil filter with me in the hopes that there might be some inside of it(is that even possible?, I'm an idiot I know)
Yes it is 100% possible to have RTV inside the oil filter. I had some in mine. But not sure if thats enough to prove their fault, because it will be small pieces of rtv.

And it is possible they cleaned up the pick up tube.

Your last hope might be to find out where they put RTV and how much. There are certain areas on the engine where they are not supposed to put RTV and the amount is also important.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #1137
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
What they had actually said was the 'sludge' caused the oil pump to fail. Causing the issue. Either way this is gonna be fun times.
hmmm.....well, maybe the oil pump did fail, but, I would guess it just fell apart rather than clogged up with sludge.

Excessive sludge buildup pretty much went away with the wide spread use of detergent oil. Back in the mid 50s, the worst thing you could do to an engine was to start using detergent oil after it had run on non-detergent oil all it's life.

Oh well, let's hope they get your car's engine fixed up soon.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #1138
Alfrz91

Drives: 13 Scion Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
Yes it is 100% possible to have RTV inside the oil filter. I had some in mine. But not sure if thats enough to prove their fault, because it will be small pieces of rtv.

And it is possible they cleaned up the pick up tube.

Your last hope might be to find out where they put RTV and how much. There are certain areas on the engine where they are not supposed to put RTV and the amount is also important.
Took pictures of pretty much everything, I wish the file sizes weren't so large, I'll figure out later how to post them if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
hmmm.....well, maybe the oil pump did fail, but, I would guess it just fell apart rather than clogged up with sludge.

Excessive sludge buildup pretty much went away with the wide spread use of detergent oil. Back in the mid 50s, the worst thing you could do to an engine was to start using detergent oil after it had run on non-detergent oil all it's life.

Oh well, let's hope they get your car's engine fixed up soon.

humfrz
Thanks I'm hoping so as well. I feel like I keep leaving info out. They stated the sludge was there for the original recall, but never stated anything about it. There were metal shavings in the oil pan as well, not quite sure what the cause of that was but they were saying it was from the oil pump failing. How 'sludge, caked on, metal filled oil' wouldn't be mentioned is beyond me. I'm hoping this is a pretty open and shut case.
Alfrz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #1139
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Took pictures of pretty much everything, I wish the file sizes weren't so large, I'll figure out later how to post them if at all possible.

You can put your pictures into any photo editing software and cut them down to a size that will fit the forum's picture frame, then post them as an attachment.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #1140
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I use Faststone for editing my photos. It's FREE and easy to use. https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's painful. I want to shake everyone and yell "Stop! Don't do it!"
And this.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #1141
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
It's painful. I want to shake everyone and yell "Stop! Don't do it!"

yeah its painful to see so many issues yet people still keep taking their cars in. Im guessing most people don't post on here until after they have issues instead of researching beforehand. Because we are supposed to "Trust" a large corporation like Toyota
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #1142
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
yeah its painful to see so many issues yet people still keep taking their cars in. Im guessing most people don't post on here until after they have issues instead of researching beforehand. Because we are supposed to "Trust" a large corporation like Toyota
It takes some real insider knowledge to decline this recall with confidence. I feel bad for the owners who have no choice but to trust Subaru's severely flawed decision.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #1143
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks I'm hoping so as well. I feel like I keep leaving info out. They stated the sludge was there for the original recall, but never stated anything about it. There were metal shavings in the oil pan as well, not quite sure what the cause of that was but they were saying it was from the oil pump failing. How 'sludge, caked on, metal filled oil' wouldn't be mentioned is beyond me. I'm hoping this is a pretty open and shut case.

No way on earth would they have touched you engine if it had metal shavings in the oil. This is a clear cut lie. If there are metal shavings in your oil the engine is already toast and they wouldn’t risk working on it and then getting blamed for a blown engine one mile after being picked up.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #1144
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Pardon my language but fuck these irresponsible pricks. Ruin someones engine and say hnyyyaaah theres no way the sealant could have gotten in there.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #1145
SuperTom

Quote:
It takes some real insider knowledge to decline this recall with confidence. I feel bad for the owners who have no choice but to trust Subaru's severely flawed decision.

I wouldn't need insider knowledge. The amount of problems found just on this forum would be enough for me. Especially if the reason for the recall has never happened to me. Basically don't Fk with it if it aint broke
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (08-20-2019), Ultramaroon (08-20-2019), why? (08-21-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #1146
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Gotta do it to register the car in Cali.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #1147
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Gotta do it to register the car in Cali.

Gotcha. In that case I would trade the car in and get a new model past the recall period or get something else. The risk of ending up with a fked up car is that is "our" fault is too great
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #1148
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Gotcha. In that case I would trade the car in and get a new model past the recall period or get something else. The risk of ending up with a fked up car is that is "our" fault is too great
I don't think it's that great a chance. Note every dealer is incompetent. Most are smart enough to see a major repair and put the right people on the rob. My service adviser said they put the guy who builds engines all day every day for a hobby on the job. They'd done 14 of them by the time I got my car back, and only one had come back with a serious issue, a transmission misalignment that was easily fixed. I'm only 2500 miles or so in, but I've been driving it like I stole it. No issues other than the broken aftermarket header, and that header had been welded like five times before, so it wasn't the dealer's fault. It's just not a panic issue. Avoid it if you want, sure. But trade in and buy another one? Meh.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-20-2019), Tcoat (08-20-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue