follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #295
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
2nd here.
One of the things they teach you in track school is steering using your throttle.

It's actually pretty easy to do - find a parking lot with enough space and do the following:

1- Go in a circle and KEEP YOUR WHEEL at a CONSTANT angle
2- Now try gassing harder - see what happens
3- Now try gassing less - see what happens

<SPOILER ALERT> If you gas more, your front tires have less traction due to the weight transfer to the back and will understeer. If you gas less, you will tuck into the turn.
I can cause the *exact* opposite to happen with a stock FRS/BRZ with very clean, smooth steering inputs.

off-throttle, the car will plow (natural suspension balance).
light throttle the car will plow (natural suspension balance).
on aggressive throttle the car will rotate (ran out of rear grip with a combination of lateral load + acceleration, vs lateral only in the front).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (03-18-2016), Frost (03-18-2016), Tokay444 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #296
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I can cause the *exact* opposite to happen with a stock FRS/BRZ with very clean, smooth steering inputs.

on aggressive throttle the car will rotate (ran out of rear grip with a combination of lateral load + acceleration, vs lateral only in the front).
So much science to this and hate I all forms of physics. That's why I changed major from Areodynamics to IT in college Physics 2 with calculus I want my two semesters back
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #297
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I knew I wasn't crazy. It probably doesn't help when the trunk is empty of everything, including the spare.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #298
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
No. Way.
Yes. Way.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #299
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:

^this.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #300
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
This is very driver and car (and even setup) dependent...
What I wrote:
the general NATURAL behavior of performance and handling-oriented cars is power-on understeer and power-off oversteer.

"General/natural" meaning, this is the inherent nature of how the car will behave. Yes, driver inputs matter, but any driver carving a smooth arc with fixed steering will experience oversteer if he gets off the gas, and understeer (below the point of incipient wheelspin) if he gets on the gas. Outside of any stability controls or electronic diff intervention, anyway...

Setup does matter, I've driven cars that would just plow no matter what because the setup was hosed. Properly set up, power-on understeer and power-off oversteer is the general rule. This is what responsive-handling cars do.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #301
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I was trying to be as simple as possible but I don't think I'm wrong... am I?

I haven driven the stock FRS/BRZ enough but I'd like to get in one with you and see what you are saying.

In my experience, I am always relative throttle position for car steering angle. In other words, at a certain position and at a certain throttle with a certain steering angle, lifting off to a certain degree or gassing to a certain degree with do xxx.

I loved my old MR2 for the tuck in at lift off but it would also bite me hard. The S2k reminds me of her.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #302
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Mid-corner, tires squealing, light throttle, car totally stock but nothing in the trunk - 2013 FRS...
Lift some - nose tucks in
Add a little power - car starts going wide.
Add too much power - car goes wide as power comes on then spins (my problem = impatience and bad timing).
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #303
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Corner entry, off throttle, at speed, front pushes.
Lightly roll in some throttle, no corrective steering action, line tightens.
More throttle still, rear oversteers, opposite lock is applied, inside front tire clips apex, full throttle, more opposite lock, big smile is adorned, corner exited while zeroing out opposite lock, driving out of corner completely straight and ready to grab the next gear.
My car is on stock suspension and currently rolling on 16 inch snow tires.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #304
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I was trying to be as simple as possible but I don't think I'm wrong... am I?

I haven driven the stock FRS/BRZ enough but I'd like to get in one with you and see what you are saying.

In my experience, I am always relative throttle position for car steering angle. In other words, at a certain position and at a certain throttle with a certain steering angle, lifting off to a certain degree or gassing to a certain degree with do xxx.

I loved my old MR2 for the tuck in at lift off but it would also bite me hard. The S2k reminds me of her.
You're at a stage where you control your steering with your steering wheel. You get your rear wheel grip to a level where you are comfortable and maintain (so that you don't go over the limit, and break the rear loose), and steer the car with the steering wheel, and as long as you don't go over the limit of the front, you have steering control. When you go over the limit, you understeer.

I max out my front wheel grip with the steering wheel every time, and then add to the rotation using the throttle. Because the front is always maxed out, I can only fine-tune the car's trajectory with the rear wheel. This results in a higher cornering speed.

Refer to this post.

Quote:
Draw a free body diagram that illustrates the force exerted upon the car by the front and rear wheels, in a state of understeer, and in a state of oversteer. You'll note that the net forward acceleration vector of both diagrams are the same, but the net lateral acceleration vectors of the understeer car are subtractive, whereas the net lateral acceleration vectors of the oversteer car are additive. The degree of slip angle determines the net forward acceleration, and if the slip angles are identical, the forward acceleration is identical, regardless of under/over.

The only exception to this, is if a corner is shallow enough, that you can go WOT (or maximum acceleration in the case of higher powered cars), and still retain full traction. In that case, you use the steering wheel to control turning, because the front wheels alone have more grip than what you need to hold the corner, and all the rear grip can be used for acceleration.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #305
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
So much science to this and hate I all forms of physics. That's why I changed major from Areodynamics to IT in college Physics 2 with calculus I want my two semesters back
And to think I don't have a degree...
Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #306
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
all those have a ton of stuffs between you and the engine to dampen out the stuff getting to you. AND PORSCHES does not count, they are rear engine & super far away from you by nature, even MR like cayman is super isolated....hell even @ auto cross that thing is quiet as it can get...... and I was in a cayman R with door straps.... ...obviously I was like ".....shit.....really......? this quiet with this much performance? while drooling over the car afterwords..."

Let's just say they are dampened out everywhere & only let you feel "some" of it other then exhaust/intake sound. (which is enough ...afterall it's "sport & luxury" in one car type of thing, you really get what you pay for.)

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, at least part of your argument. I assure you that I can hear the engine very clearly while blasting up to redline in my Cayman. The clarify of the intake noise is quite good, and it's audibly noticeable when the Variocam adjusts the timing higher up in the rev range. I dunno how you can say the engine is more isolated than the BRZ. The engine air intake is literally less than 2 feet from your head and the engine physically is less than a foot from your body/head. More isolated??
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Pat (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #307
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you here, at least part of your argument. I assure you that I can hear the engine very clearly while blasting up to redline in my Cayman. The clarify of the intake noise is quite good, and it's audibly noticeable when the Variocam adjusts the timing higher up in the rev range. I dunno how you can say the engine is more isolated than the BRZ. The engine air intake is literally less than 2 feet from your head and the engine physically is less than a foot from your body/head. More isolated??
maybe the r version doesn't have a noise pipe....

http://www.bargainteers.com/top-5-ca...-engine-noise/
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #308
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
maybe the r version doesn't have a noise pipe....

http://www.bargainteers.com/top-5-ca...-engine-noise/
Don't believe everything you read. Besides being 95% confident that the 981 Cayman has zero engine noise piped into the cabin, I'm 100% confident you shouldn't rely on a website that says the 2014+ Cayman has a V6 engine.

Also I can tell you with 100% certainty that no 987 Caymans have any engine sound tubes (that includes the Cayman R).
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-24-2016)

Tags
brz, cayman, s2000