follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #197
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Being brutally honest with myself I have to admit my instinct would have been to cut hard to the right. I don't think it would have helped. By the time I noticed he was rolling, it would have been too late. I keep playing it in my head and can't make myself want to turn left. That's just a fucked up horrible situation.
He's goin really fast
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #198
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Being brutally honest with myself I have to admit my instinct would have been to cut hard to the right. I don't think it would have helped. By the time I noticed he was rolling, it would have been too late. I keep playing it in my head and can't make myself want to turn left. That's just a fucked up horrible situation.
It's easy to say there's plenty of time to move while analyzing it on a computer, but in a real life scenario, I'd probably be paralyzed with shock and fear.

Then again, it's possible to have some very fast reflexes in the act of self-preservation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #199
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,892 Times in 16,453 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
........... That's just a fucked up horrible situation.
Nowhere to go ......

If the driver had kept moving and cut right, he most likely would have rear ended the black car in the right lane.

If the driver would have cut left and the cement truck regained control .... a bad head on collision would have happened.

So, the driver locked up the brakes and reduced the combined speed of contact.

I gotta get that video out of my head before I go to sleep tonight ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #200
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,547 Times in 18,941 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
He's goin really fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
It's easy to say there's plenty of time to move while analyzing it on a computer, but in a real life scenario, I'd probably be paralyzed with shock and fear.

Then again, it's possible to have some very fast reflexes in the act of self-preservation.
When I was eleven on a family road trip, my dad followed a motorcyclist on a two lane highway for many miles. My mom, brother, and I were all admiring him and discussing his bike when a woman pulled out from behind a semi to pass. When she realized her mistake, instead of slowing and pulling back in, she stupidly decided to go for the shoulder on our side. The motorcyclist rightfully went for the same place and they met head on. He vaulted off of her windshield and somersaulted like a rag doll a good 15 feet high.

Poor guy didn't have a chance. I just stood over this broken body and helplessly watched him take his last breath. Changed me forever.

Always look for the out or try to make one for yourself. Even then, sometimes it just ain't there.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #201
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,547 Times in 18,941 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Nowhere to go ......
I gotta get that video out of my head before I go to sleep tonight ......

humfrz
You and me both. It's horrible.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #202
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Human life is fragile. It only takes one mistake, human or mechanical, to wipe that life out. I am lucky (or unlucky) to have not encountered a life-and-death situation where a split second could decide my fate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #203
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post

Yes it is very easy to sit here and say I would have done this that or the other thing when in fact you may not have. In real life panic could set in and the driver not do anything at all but sit and watch.

On the other hand we are just seeing it from a frozen start point and making the call upon on that. If paying attention the driver may well have seen the truck coming down the right side well before it hit the intersection and got the hell over and out of the way. Things like this happen all the time and people avoid them. If the driver had taken that option then the video would probably not exist since it would have ended as a non event.

Even as it is, the driver had time to realize what was happening and stop. In that same time they could have gone right and around that black car to the far right lane that was wide open.

You guys are over analyzing what was put up just to show that motoring out of the way is sometimes an option. I do not see how it was not an option here. Now whether it would be seen as one at the time that depends on the awareness and reaction of the driver.

Last edited by Tcoat; 12-22-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #204
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
While looking for something else I came across this gif. It perfectly illustrates where there would have been time to motor out of the way if you were prepared to do so.
I peed a little.

Quote:
When I was eleven on a family road trip, my dad followed a motorcyclist on a two lane highway for many miles. My mom, brother, and I were all admiring him and discussing his bike when a woman pulled out from behind a semi to pass. When she realized her mistake, instead of slowing and pulling back in, she stupidly decided to go for the shoulder on our side. The motorcyclist rightfully went for the same place and they met head on. He vaulted off of her windshield and somersaulted like a rag doll a good 15 feet high.

Poor guy didn't have a chance. I just stood over this broken body and helplessly watched him take his last breath. Changed me forever.

Always look for the out or try to make one for yourself. Even then, sometimes it just ain't there.
Was going to say something, but just ended up doing this:

Horrific, man, especially for an 11-year-old.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #205
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Look close, the cement truck runs the red. Both the pickup and the car on the right were entering the intersection and if you blow it right up the cement truck was on the red. In fact he comes out of the right lane at the start of the gif, cuts across in front of the stopped cars and then flips. Have to wonder if it was a brake failure and he actually did well in missing most of the other cars.

An accident almost exactly like this one happened a couple blocks from my house a couple months back.

Every single view from a camera that was logged as evidence said that the truck driver was not paying attention and just ran a red causing the accident.

Final determination after investigation: Right before the light changed, the cement truck's trailer had come uncoupled and he had no way of stopping it, so it essentially just pushed the cab through the intersection.

Moral: Don't believe everything you see.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:29 AM   #206
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugray View Post
An accident almost exactly like this one happened a couple blocks from my house a couple months back.

Every single view from a camera that was logged as evidence said that the truck driver was not paying attention and just ran a red causing the accident.

Final determination after investigation: Right before the light changed, the cement truck's trailer had come uncoupled and he had no way of stopping it, so it essentially just pushed the cab through the intersection.

Moral: Don't believe everything you see.
Exactly!
Direct cause and root cause are not the same thing. In 30 years of Occupational Health and Safety I have investigated thousands of incidents ranging from minor near misses to catastrophic failure fatalities and if I have learned one thing it is there never an 'obvious' answer from the initial evidence. What appears to be logical can go south on you really fast once you start getting facts.
stugray (12-22-2015), Ultramaroon (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #207
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly!
Direct cause and root cause are not the same thing. In 30 years of Occupational Health and Safety I have investigated thousands of incidents ranging from minor near misses to catastrophic failure fatalities and if I have learned one thing it is there never an 'obvious' answer from the initial evidence. What appears to be logical can go south on you really fast once you start getting facts.
Here it is:

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-lo...ck-stolen-jeep

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSxoKF0i1YY&feature=player_embedded"]Traffic cam: Accident at U.S. 287 and Colo. 66 in Longmont - YouTube[/ame]
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #208
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, of course it is. It's fine. Rev match after it's in the lower gear [before engaging the clutch] so your passenger doesn't get whiplash. That's all.

BTW, for those folks knocking on people learning how to drive stick from the interwebs, consider an entire generation who did not have the luxury of experienced parents to teach them proper technique.

The web can be a great resource. I, for one, will continue to do my best to be supportive and helpful to the best of my ability.
Quote:
The only real issue is that people trying to learn from the printed word can misunderstand. These things are something that can be shown within a few minutes but descriptions do not do them justice.

That and the fact that no two people agree on all the techniques and how, when or even if, they should be used.

I know if I was trying to learn from one of these threads I would have said "screw it" a long time ago and just went and drove my car to figure it all out on my own.

I will still try to assist people when they ask and pass on the methods I believe to be accurate and best and they can choose my info or that of the others as they so desire.
I already know how to drive a manual quite well just getting your guys two sense.
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PureShield For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 AM   #209
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What the heck happened to this thread lol, got dark fast.
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PureShield For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-29-2015), Ultramaroon (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #210
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureShield View Post
What the heck happened to this thread lol, got dark fast.
It went on for 12 pages too many I think :P

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Concorazon (01-02-2016), PureShield (12-31-2015), Tcoat (12-29-2015)

Tags
kr-s is colorblind