follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2015, 01:05 AM   #183
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
PS - while we are off topic, @Tcoat .... The 28th Transportation Battalion was headquartered at Coleman Barracks when it was inactivated in 2010.

I was stationed at Coleman Barracks (1966-1968) with the 2nd Bn 13th Infantry, 8th Infantry Division.

When you were tasked with the 28th, was it at Coleman Barracks ...... ??

If so, do you recognize any of these old girl friends of mine .... ??

(well, by the time you got there, they were older)

Sorry folks, we were on a military flashback ....... OK, back to out regular programming ......
Ya in fairness to anybody that has actually made it this far in the thread let's take this to the Prior Military Service one where it is actually on topic.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76061
Old 12-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #184
Frankie'sFRS

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll add one of mine, to @Tcoat 's experiences.

Germany, 1966, on a snow packed autobahn (I had chains on), at night, almost stopped, car coming up behind me going waaaay to fast.

I cut the wheel, hammered down, got out of the way just in time ....... big Mercedes slams into a car that was in front of me…….. get the drift …….

humfrz
damn ! Probably felt so lucky ! Okay , ile listen to you guys ! Lol
Frankie'sFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie'sFRS For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-20-2015), Tcoat (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #185
Frankie'sFRS

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Actually I bet you have done it yourself and just didn't realize it since you were in gear at the time.

Sitting at an intersecting with the green and waiting to turn left. Guy in a Benz runs the light and nails the guy going straight. Had just enough time to pop the clutch and gun it straight ahead to avoid the guy that got hit being pushed right into me. If had to put it in gear I would have been too late and would have got nailed.

Slowing down for a stop sign and truck comes barreling up behind me could tell was not going to get stopped in time. Again popped clutch and got the hell out of his way. Had to dodge a car going through but managed. The truck stopped about six feet into the intersection and it would have been nasty if I had still been there. This is another case where the 1/2 second needed to put in gear would have been too long.

Going down the highway and downshifting to slow down for a ramp. Guy beside me decides he wants that ramp and starts to move over with his front bumper about midway up my rear door (Lancer GTS). Nowhere to go to the right and if I slow down he has me for sure. Gun it and get ahead and he comes in about an inch behind me. If coasting he would have had me for sure. Scenarios such as this have happened many times.

Of course there are more times you would be trapped and can't do this then there are times you can but motoring out of the way is sometimes your best option if it is available. If you do need to do it then it is sudden and requires quick action. That time needed to go into gear may make the difference between getting out or getting creamed. Now certainly there is no value in doing it if all alone on a wide open stretch of road but since it is my habit I do it all the time. That way there is no thought process involved and when I need to it is there.

In 40 years of driving, at an average of 50K a year, I have driven over 2 million miles and have never had an accident, not even a fender bender. I attribute this to my early military driver training (I was a driver by trade) which had a huge focus on situational awareness and defensive driving. One of the main things they said was keep all your options open all the time. If you are prepared then motoring out of the way is an option so that is what I have done. You can not use this option in time if you are sitting in neutral.

This is just my personal experience and I know some disagree for various reasons so take my advice as you wish.
Yeah I'm all for advice so thank you ! I just started driving a stick when I got my FRS a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty fine at it now but its just the little things to better myself. Thanks again !
Frankie'sFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie'sFRS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #186
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,929 Times in 16,470 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie'sFRS View Post
Yeah I'm all for advice so thank you ! I just started driving a stick when I got my FRS a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty fine at it now but its just the little things to better myself. Thanks again !
While you are here, if you haven't already scrapped your car's front lip when pulling up to parking place stops .......I suggest you stop about 2 feet shorter than you think you should.....

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-20-2015), Tcoat (12-21-2015), Ultramaroon (12-20-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #187
Big D Design

Drives: FRS RED - 12 Roush RS3 - 92 Maxima
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like this thread..... a lot

There has been a very lot of responsible things said in this thread.

Before you go all crazy on me that I'm trying to be a parent or something.....

We believe in this car as something that is different than most other cars. It is a drivers car. It makes you want to go out and drive. So let's point out some more safety driving tips. And put that damn phone down. Distracted driving is the most dangerous thing there is. The FRS has just the essentials for driving and no distractions at all when it comes to a dashboard. I don't know about you, but some of these new tech cars are going to get you killed with the lousy ergonomics that engineers are putting into the cars these days. You know what I'm talking about. They want you to try to read or slide your finger and look when driving. Even on the freakin steering wheel, the controls are getting out of hand. Give me a damn volume knob, and a couple of buttons that I can remember. I don't have to take my eyes off the road with a couple of buttons. But some of these new cars..... the car is designed to touchscreen press everything. Where is the safety in that. Hope I have started a couple of marbles in your head. Distracted driving is not the way to stay alive. You must know everything that is happening around you at all times. This is not an adventure is you are not in the game.
Big D Design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big D Design For This Useful Post:
Eighty 6 (12-21-2015), FLYFISHR (12-21-2015), humfrz (12-21-2015), Tcoat (12-21-2015), Ultramaroon (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #188
Eighty 6

Drives: Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Design View Post
There has been a very lot of responsible things said in this thread.

Before you go all crazy on me that I'm trying to be a parent or something.....

We believe in this car as something that is different than most other cars. It is a drivers car. It makes you want to go out and drive. So let's point out some more safety driving tips. And put that damn phone down. Distracted driving is the most dangerous thing there is. The FRS has just the essentials for driving and no distractions at all when it comes to a dashboard. I don't know about you, but some of these new tech cars are going to get you killed with the lousy ergonomics that engineers are putting into the cars these days. You know what I'm talking about. They want you to try to read or slide your finger and look when driving. Even on the freakin steering wheel, the controls are getting out of hand. Give me a damn volume knob, and a couple of buttons that I can remember. I don't have to take my eyes off the road with a couple of buttons. But some of these new cars..... the car is designed to touchscreen press everything. Where is the safety in that. Hope I have started a couple of marbles in your head. Distracted driving is not the way to stay alive. You must know everything that is happening around you at all times. This is not an adventure is you are not in the game.

Yeah no 3 lives in this, only 1 and no bonus.
Eighty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #189
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie'sFRS View Post
Could you give a scenario that happened to you ? Whenever I hear this reasoning I can't think of anything of how being in gear will help. I guess if your still moving then it makes sense but people say the same thing about being in neutral vs 1st and clutch in. But if I needed to move , I'd hit the guy next to me ! Just can't wrap my head around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFury View Post
That's what I was thinking, unless you're the first one in the line waiting for the green or a stop sign, but then it still involve risk from getting into accidents with other vehicles/peds.
While looking for something else I came across this gif. It perfectly illustrates where there would have been time to motor out of the way if you were prepared to do so.
xFury (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #190
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
While looking for something else I came across this gif. It perfectly illustrates where there would have been time to motor out of the way if you were prepared to do so.
Dumbass truck driver. Either that or brake failure as suggested below.

I looked up the source of the GIF. Surprisingly, the minivan (a Sienna) held up well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.

Last edited by KR-S; 12-21-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Not sure why I thought the pickup was the one running a red light...
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #191
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Dumbass truck driver (not the cement truck, but the idiot who ran a red light).

I looked up the source of the GIF. Surprisingly, the minivan (a Sienna) held up well.
Look close, the cement truck runs the red. Both the pickup and the car on the right were entering the intersection and if you blow it right up the cement truck was on the red. In fact he comes out of the right lane at the start of the gif, cuts across in front of the stopped cars and then flips. Have to wonder if it was a brake failure and he actually did well in missing most of the other cars.
Cole (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #192
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Look close, the cement truck runs the red. Both the pickup and the car on the right were entering the intersection and if you blow it right up the cement truck was on the red. In fact he comes out of the right lane at the start of the gif, cuts across in front of the stopped cars and then flips. Have to wonder if it was a brake failure and he actually did well in missing most of the other cars.
He did seem to be bookin it pretty good
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #193
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Dumbass truck driver (not the cement truck, but the idiot who ran a red light).

it looks to me like the cement truck is the one running the light. The white pickup truck and a black car on the other side of the street are both moving into the intersection. probably both in opposite green arrow turning lanes. but I'll refrain from judgement since you apparently looked up the source.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #194
Tcoat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
it looks to me like the cement truck is the one running the light. The white pickup truck and a black car on the other side of the street are both moving into the intersection. probably both in opposite green arrow turning lanes. but I'll refrain from judgement since you apparently looked up the source.
We have a majority.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #195
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
We have a majority.
Nope, you're right. Cement driver was indeed the fucking moron, or something mechanical happened. Not sure why I thought otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #196
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,577 Times in 18,960 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Being brutally honest with myself I have to admit my instinct would have been to cut hard to the right. I don't think it would have helped. By the time I noticed he was rolling, it would have been too late. I keep playing it in my head and can't make myself want to turn left. That's just a fucked up horrible situation.

Tags
kr-s is colorblind