follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
mtsui

Drives: 135i
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GodSpeed Mono Max coilcover review

Hey guys,
I just wanna share my experience with Godspeed Mono MAX coilover.
I was in the market of budget coilover(less the $1000) Because I wanna try and see how they are compare with higher end coilover like the Tein SRC that I used to have.
After researching on the internet and I decided to try the Godspeed Mono MAX coilover because the good review and great track lap time that they are doing.

I purchased my coilovers directly from Godspeed, they are located in El Monte CA. Overall my experience with the company was excellent, all the questions were answered very quickly and they were very friendly.
The coilover is pair with 8kg in the front and 10kg in the rear which I think its a very good setup for street tires. they are 32 way single adjustable, which is good to the driver who doesn't know how to fine tune a suspension.

The packaging was very nice, protected the coilover pretty good. when I taking the coilover out from the box, I already noticed that the quality of the coilover is very very nice, it doesn't seems like a low budget coilover compare to my $3500 Tein SRC.

The install was very simple, I did it in my garage on jack stands in like 2 hours?
After the install, I went out for a test drive, I felt the ride is alot better than the Tein SRC (10kg/12kg), and there was no noise or anything.

Street:
The ride is nice and smooth, It can be more comfortable than stock but also could stiffer if you adjust the knob, so Im pretty much happy with on the street.

Canyon:
Its alot better the stock, it allows me to push the car fast easily because the coilover makes the car has less roll and become very easy to drive. the shock also adsorb the bump very nicely.

Track:
when I first trying these coilover on the track, I felt like oh man! would this be very bad? I was kinda worry because of "lower budget coilover". However I was completely wrong, it did the job and I can't its better the Tein SRC, but I think it's as good as the Tein SRC! I even did a high speed turn (98-105MPH) with a bump or dip to see if the shock can handle it, and YES! It did adsorb the bump very nice and smoothly.
Here is the video on the track at buttonwillow using godspeed mono max:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDQPwyP0CM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnDQPwyP0CM[/ame]

and this is the comparison same track using Tein SRC:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZd8lJHZbU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZd8lJHZbU[/ame]
I really like this coilover because it's simple single adjustment, the springs rate is well match for this car with high performance street tires. It handles like higher end coilover on track but also could be very comfortable on the street, and the main thing is its less than $1000 which most people could afford, so I highly recommend this coilover to everybody!
mtsui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtsui For This Useful Post:
Carlitoz3 (04-28-2015), DavidBob (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsui View Post
Hey guys,
I just wanna share my experience with Godspeed Mono MAX coilover.
I was in the market of budget coilover(less the $1000) Because I wanna try and see how they are compare with higher end coilover like the Tein SRC that I used to have.
After researching on the internet and I decided to try the Godspeed Mono MAX coilover because the good review and great track lap time that they are doing.

I purchased my coilovers directly from Godspeed, they are located in El Monte CA. Overall my experience with the company was excellent, all the questions were answered very quickly and they were very friendly.
The coilover is pair with 8kg in the front and 10kg in the rear which I think its a very good setup for street tires. they are 32 way single adjustable, which is good to the driver who doesn't know how to fine tune a suspension.

The packaging was very nice, protected the coilover pretty good. when I taking the coilover out from the box, I already noticed that the quality of the coilover is very very nice, it doesn't seems like a low budget coilover compare to my $3500 Tein SRC.

The install was very simple, I did it in my garage on jack stands in like 2 hours?
After the install, I went out for a test drive, I felt the ride is alot better than the Tein SRC (10kg/12kg), and there was no noise or anything.

Street:
The ride is nice and smooth, It can be more comfortable than stock but also could stiffer if you adjust the knob, so Im pretty much happy with on the street.

Canyon:
Its alot better the stock, it allows me to push the car fast easily because the coilover makes the car has less roll and become very easy to drive. the shock also adsorb the bump very nicely.

Track:
when I first trying these coilover on the track, I felt like oh man! would this be very bad? I was kinda worry because of "lower budget coilover". However I was completely wrong, it did the job and I can't its better the Tein SRC, but I think it's as good as the Tein SRC! I even did a high speed turn (98-105MPH) with a bump or dip to see if the shock can handle it, and YES! It did adsorb the bump very nice and smoothly.
Here is the video on the track at buttonwillow using godspeed mono max:

and this is the comparison same track using Tein SRC:

I really like this coilover because it's simple single adjustment, the springs rate is well match for this car with high performance street tires. It handles like higher end coilover on track but also could be very comfortable on the street, and the main thing is its less than $1000 which most people could afford, so I highly recommend this coilover to everybody!
Thanks for the write up!
I live down the block from the shop and will take these into consideration.

Are you going to leave them on?
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I'm curious as to why you have so much understeer on the 8/10 setup, which should be looser than the 10/12 setup. Were there any other changes to your car? Clean driving! I seen an AIM in your car; do you have data from the laps?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like it was written by someone at Godspeed? I have nothing to base this on, just a vibe I got when reading.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d1ck For This Useful Post:
Dimman (05-01-2015), wparsons (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like it was written by someone at Godspeed? I have nothing to base this on, just a vibe I got when reading.
I got this feeling too but at least there's video of the driving differences. I'm still skeptical about such cheap coilovers.

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaBRZ For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I had godspeeds before I got my fortune auto 500's. I was actually very impressed by them
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Pleasantly impressed for the cost. Barrel-shaped springs and adjusters that use a normal spanner. Everything about these coilovers is different from the Mono-RS. Makes me think they're using a new supplier/build house.

In the past, I've seen Godspeed parts with corrosion issues. The threaded sleeve appears to be a quality material. The top nut and pillow ball are usually a weak point on inexpensive coilovers. For "high end" units, they are still making me a bit hesitant for track usage.

Very few companies can offer 3 model lines with MSRPs of $700, $800, and $900 for all vehicles (each with bespoke hardware). This also makes me hesitant.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you selling your SRCs?
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (04-28-2015), wparsons (04-28-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not to mention the huge Godspeed advertisment in clear view of his camera. Looking at the video's side by side and playing at the same time, the Teins look like they ride a lot smoother. The car appears to be more unsettled by the larger bumps with the Godspeeds. But just watching a video is hardly an accurate comparison, though.

Hey if the OP likes them, good on him!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #10
mtsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitoz3 View Post
Thanks for the write up!
I live down the block from the shop and will take these into consideration.

Are you going to leave them on?
I would leave them on if I kept the car but I sold my car last week. =/
Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
mtsui

Quote:
I'm not with godspeed, but I do have a friend who work at godspeed. however my review is 100% true and base on my feeling on them, they are really great coilover for the price and the track video and time shows it all.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #12
mtsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
Not to mention the huge Godspeed advertisment in clear view of his camera. Looking at the video's side by side and playing at the same time, the Teins look like they ride a lot smoother. The car appears to be more unsettled by the larger bumps with the Godspeeds. But just watching a video is hardly an accurate comparison, though.

Hey if the OP likes them, good on him!
actually I think the tein is more unstable because of the too stiff springs rate. Im doing this review because my friend asked me to, but its 100% true base on what i felt on it, I never say the tein is not good, but Im saying a budget coilover could be very nice on street and as well as on the track.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 AM   #13
mtsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'm curious as to why you have so much understeer on the 8/10 setup, which should be looser than the 10/12 setup. Were there any other changes to your car? Clean driving! I seen an AIM in your car; do you have data from the laps?
i have no idea, but like i said, i don't know how to fine tune the 2 way suspension, maybe thats why?
I just got the aim not long ago, let me see if i can pull out the date from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtsui For This Useful Post:
sw20monster (01-10-2016)
Old 04-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #14
Vroomin86

Drives: 2015 Fire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It is obvious that your skill for that track had improved much more when filming with the godspeeds, then from the first video with the teins.

Truth is the video shows me the teins to have smoother control and aren't all over the place like the godspeeds. But again could be your driving. Pushing the godspeeds much more
Vroomin86 is offline   Reply With Quote