follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
ハチロク

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy21 View Post
If the fiberglass fleece cured already and have already added a good amount of fiberglass layers underneath the fleece, you can use an orbital sander and try to sand it flat as you can, then use body filler to fill in any pores and imperfections. Once done shoot some primer, sand at 800 to have as flat finish for paint. Shoot paint coats and then cleat coat and should be ready to go.
the fleece is cured already but I don't have any actual fiberglass on it yet. just one layer of resin to keep the fleece in place. Did you put fiberglass on the inside of the enclosure? did you have to work through the speaker hole? That couldn't have been easy...
ハチロク is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post
the fleece is cured already but I don't have any actual fiberglass on it yet. just one layer of resin to keep the fleece in place. Did you put fiberglass on the inside of the enclosure? did you have to work through the speaker hole? That couldn't have been easy...
If you think about it, the first layer is only there to hold a shape. So, you can grind and shape it however you like before/while you add thickness. If you burn through some small areas trying to smooth it out, you can lay some glass to patch over it. If its a larger area, you might need to stretch another piece of fleece. Once you're happy with the shape you can sand down any rough/sharp protrusions. Later in the process once it's built up thicker with glass, you can smooth it out even more, just be cautious to not get too crazy with material removal. You'll be able to see each layer as you grind it away as an indicator of how deep you're going.

If the wrinkles are in an area where it already overlaps the main shell, just sand/grind it away. The fleece doesn't need much overlap on the shell, even 1/2" is plenty to hold the shape until more glass is wrapped around it.

Instead of bondo, you can make a paste with resin and microballoons as a thickener. Using this instead of bondo to smooth the outer wrinkles will create a stronger bond than having a layer of brittle bondo in between layers of glass. Mix it quickly (so it doesn't kick too early) until it has a consistency like frosting.

If you want to add strength inside the enclosure, you can use this thickened resin like caulk around the inside corners where the fleece meets the shell. This isn't quite as strong as fabric, but the microballoons add structure to the resin, and you can smear it around blindly into the corners without having to see everything. Use a mirror on a stick to see what's going on in there. I recommend starting at the farthest, hardest to reach area first, and working toward your opening. (Again this isn't necessary but can help add some strength).

Last edited by wheelhaus; 04-20-2015 at 05:11 PM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
IBill4You (04-29-2015), niceguy21 (04-21-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #17
ハチロク

Garage
Talking Build Update:

I finished fiberglassing and did a test fit in the car. It fits like a glove and I think it looks pretty good. Next step is body filler and sanding, then more body filler and more sanding and so on and so on...

Let me know what you think!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ハチロク For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-21-2019), IBill4You (04-29-2015), wheelhaus (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #18
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looks great! When can you build mine? Lol
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:55 AM   #19
labskaus

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
poor Woofer ... with some holes in it. You need a Grill
labskaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
ハチロク

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by labskaus View Post
poor Woofer ... with some holes in it. You need a Grill
they're not holes. Just dents. and it was free lol can't argue with free.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #21
Fender0122

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks good! I've been wanting to do this in my audi for years.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Looks great so far!
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #23
ハチロク

Garage
Build Update:

I went a little crazy with the bondo but it looks really smooth now. I'm pretty happy with this for now. The fit is perfect. I was worried layers of fiberglass and bondo might make it not fit quite as well but it still fits.

Here are a couple pictures of the build so far. This is mostly stuff I finished over the weekend but haven't gotten a chance to upload the progress yet. I just ordered some carpeting to cover it but I have to wait for that in the mail so I am sort of stuck for now. My plan is to start working on some wiring and maybe look into plans for an amp.

as you can see from this picture I left the back a bit unfinished but hopefully none of that will show so it won't be a problem. I still put a layer of bondoglass in some of the weak looking areas on the back, that's why its a different color. I also knocked down some of the high spots so at least it slides smoothly.

I do also need to think about a terminal cup. I might have shot myself in the foot by not taking it into consideration earlier but I hope there is a flat enough spot to put one that won't require too much fabrication. I'm thinking I will probably put it on the back in that flat spot towards the right hand side.

Let me know what you think!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #24
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Great work! Fitting a 12 in our trunk is a challenge, and everything is coming out looking professional.

There's no shame in Bondo. You could paint or vinyl it with that smooth of a finish.

Thanks for taking the time to post it up.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (05-09-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #25
ハチロク

Garage
Build Update:

I'm almost done!!!
here are a couple of pictures of my progress so far. I am working on wiring and installing an amp now and hopefully I'll be able to post the final build after the weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to ハチロク For This Useful Post:
niceguy21 (05-24-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #26
niceguy21
Socal Valley 86 Member

Drives: 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 & Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post
I'm almost done!!!
here are a couple of pictures of my progress so far. I am working on wiring and installing an amp now and hopefully I'll be able to post the final build after the weekend.

Nice!!! Came out pretty clean. Props to ya!
niceguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12", build, enclosure, fiberglass, subwoofer