follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
Mobius357

Drives: '15 WRX '13 Legacy '07 Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm noticing all the same as you Rex. the car is LOUD on initial startup idling at 2k 'till it warms up a bit or I get moving, then it settles down and very quiet at a warmed up idle. My left tip sticks out too. I haven't been under the car to try to adjust it since putting the front and over pipes on though.

On the broken bolts, Cad plated steel becomes brittle from exposure to temps above 450f, but I wouldn't think bolts on the flanges would get that hot, and even an embrittled bolt should hold fine with the low torque requirement. My guess is the mechanic over torqued the bolts, doesn't seem unlikely from the other mistakes made on the install. No one is perfect though, I forgot about the collars and put them on after my first short test drive. I also had to redo the v-band joints 'cause of a bit of weld spatter I didn't see the first time prevented the rear joint from sealing.

I can't wait for warmer weather so I can drive with the windows down. I get to hear just a tiny bit of the outside sound getting to work passing through a security gate or when leaving a toll booth, but then it's window closed again.
Mobius357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #44
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankel Rex View Post
I just installed the Perrin header-back a week ago, except I went resonated (very glad I did).

Quite a noticeable increase in power and the torque dip is improved. Punching it around 5,000 RPM feels far more powerful to the ol' butt dyno.

Agreed that cold starts are extremely loud, and lower RPMs are really bass-heavy compared to 4,000+ .

I probably have 400-500 miles on the exhaust by now. Overall, I'm really happy with it. My only complaint is the damn left tip sticking out a bit more. For how quality the kit is this seems to be a simple design flaw.

Added Perrin's drop-in filter yesterday.

Oh yes... zero drone on the highway, which is why I went with the Perrin kit (and they have great service). Last thing I want is drone when driving from Ft. Worth to St. Louis.
Nice that's good to hear. I have zero drone as well. after the pipes warm up, it becomes quieter and the raspy sound goes away

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My only complaint is the damn left tip sticking out a bit more. For how quality the kit is this seems to be a simple design flaw.
That's user-adjustable. Loosen everything from the cat back, push the tips in to where they are even, then tighten everything starting at the cat making your way towards the tips. As you make your way back, be sure that the tips are still even and make adjustments as need be.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #46
Nardi330

Drives: 86
have someone holding the muffler in place while tightening everything worked well for me.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #47
Wankel Rex

Drives: Silver Premium Edition BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
have someone holding the muffler in place while tightening everything worked well for me.
Tried that... twice. As soon as everything gets tightened up it shifts about a 1/4" to 1/2". The average observer won't notice, but I know it's there.
Wankel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #48
Wankel Rex

Drives: Silver Premium Edition BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I should say that I was aware of the tips being uneven prior to ordering, and had read plenty of recommendations on how to avoid it (and some people that couldn't). So I'm not surprised, but it is disappointing.

Not that I give a crap when I'm behind the wheel.
Wankel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #49
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Quote:
I should say that I was aware of the tips being uneven prior to ordering, and had read plenty of recommendations on how to avoid it (and some people that couldn't). So I'm not surprised, but it is disappointing.

Not that I give a crap when I'm behind the wheel.
i guess i'm lucky then. mine seems even and i never needed any adjustment after installation.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #50
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
i guess i'm lucky then. mine seems even and i never needed any adjustment after installation.
Same here. Mine's perfect.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #51
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Tried that... twice. As soon as everything gets tightened up it shifts about a 1/4" to 1/2". The average observer won't notice, but I know it's there.
Try overcompensating for the difference before tightening, so that when it's tightened it moves back to center?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #52
Tylub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Try overcompensating for the difference before tightening, so that when it's tightened it moves back to center?
that's exactly what I did, over compensated for the right tip where it stuck out a lot and just tightened everything and everything came to perfection. the first two times, i left it normal and left always stayed out...

but yeah just do this and you'll be good @Wankel Rex

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar

Last edited by Tylub; 02-21-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #53
Tylub

here's a quick video from my track day to hear from the inside of what it sounds like
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8Oj-k6zxg"]Perrin Headerback pulls and downshift - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #54
Tylub

here's a cold start video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku0UFluRvgo"]Perrin Headerback Cold Start - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #55
Tylub

I will make a better free rev video tomorrow. Will do start up of cold, warm, cold rev, and warm rev

hopefully i can get someone to help me do drive by's soon

-side note, it might sound different now that I've tracked the car...
the front pipe to over pipe bolt has yet snapped again... but this time i'm
assuming the heat has snapped both bolts. Also, I've noticed that the
replacement bolts were longer. Finally I get the right sized bolts... No
wonder they kept on snapping!!! Seems like I'm the only one snapping bolts
around here. thanks @PERRIN for the customer service yet again :happy0180:
Attached Images

instagram @Tylub

Last edited by Tylub; 02-21-2013 at 05:18 AM.
tripjammer (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #56
Tylub

okay, finally here it is
Cold start and warm start with some free revving

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLWJtagdTu4"]Perrin Cold and Warm Start Revs - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub
Anthonytpt (02-21-2013)