follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #29
Burn
Slack Bum

Drives: FT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
Man, between Perrin and Nameless, it's a close one for me. Both such good companies with quality designs.
I think performance for both are almost on par.. now it really boils down to the fact on which exhaust note u like.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Same here.. tried adjusting it a couple of times but no avail..
perhaps we should try to adjust where right is more than left by a little? but I'm not sure how we can accomplish that as the left is always the one that likes being out more -.-

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
Tylub

Quote:
Man, between Perrin and Nameless, it's a close one for me. Both such good companies with quality designs.
Yeah, that is a hard choice, but I went with Perrin because I wanted the other goodies and I thought that the OEM looking muffler would attract less attention

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #32
Tylub

forgot to mention, cold starts are somewhat annoying. sometimes its tinny and obnoxious. it's only whe FULLY warm does it sound mature and amazing. will do a video of cold start with some revs vs warm with some revs and finish with a couple drive bys. maybe if I can get a go cam I can do a on-car footage too

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #33
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
forgot to mention, cold starts are somewhat annoying. sometimes its tinny and obnoxious. it's only whe FULLY warm does it sound mature and amazing. will do a video of cold start with some revs vs warm with some revs and finish with a couple drive bys. maybe if I can get a go cam I can do a on-car footage too
I think all of the exhausts are annoying to an extent on cold start. Sound great when warm.

I could run a straight pipe in Texas and not get pulled over. Cops are very relaxed on that stuff here. Of course I'm not going to though, lol.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #34
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, that is a hard choice, but I went with Perrin because I wanted the other goodies and I thought that the OEM looking muffler would attract less attention
No knock on your choice, both are solid and you can't go wrong. But just FYI, the Nameless muffler cannot be seen, it is kind of tucked behind the bumper. (Unless you are looking at the car from the ground in which case all bets are off).
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
Tylub

Quote:
I think all of the exhausts are annoying to an extent on cold start. Sound great when warm.

I could run a straight pipe in Texas and not get pulled over. Cops are very relaxed on that stuff here. Of course I'm not going to though, lol.
wish I was in texas lol

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
Tylub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
No knock on your choice, both are solid and you can't go wrong. But just FYI, the Nameless muffler cannot be seen, it is kind of tucked behind the bumper. (Unless you are looking at the car from the ground in which case all bets are off).
Yeah I thought that was a cool design too, too many choices!

instagram @Tylub
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #37
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah I thought that was a cool design too, too many choices!
I contacted Nameless and Jason was very friendly, answered my questions and gave me progress on their header design. I can't wait to get their full engine back system when they're done making the headers. I like their exhaust design and I'm sure their header will be a quality piece as well. Hopefully they will make a UEL... that's my next question, but judging from the demand for UEL for the sound and hardly any difference from an EL, they would be crazy not to offer it.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (12-14-2012), Tylub (12-14-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #38
Tylub

hopefully after Christmas, I can get some nice sound clips of the exhaust. It sounds perfect now. After all this time driving, I have no complaints. The sound level has gone down and is not annoying anymore. Everyone who has heard my exhaust before and after have all agreed it is near perfect now and sounds wonderful. cheers!

instagram @Tylub
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
FT86Dubai (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
hopefully after Christmas, I can get some nice sound clips of the exhaust. It sounds perfect now. After all this time driving, I have no complaints. The sound level has gone down and is not annoying anymore. Everyone who has heard my exhaust before and after have all agreed it is near perfect now and sounds wonderful. cheers!
Are you sure that sound became better and its not you who got used to it. j/k

thanks for the thread, I think your review changed my opinion in getting it over the TRD's cat back. Looking forward to your vids btw
Tylub (12-27-2012)
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #40
Tylub

a little update.
found the source of the tinny/raspy sound in the first minutes of driving. It was the s pipe that connected to the muffler portion. the pipes would vibrate against each other, thus making a sound and when it warmed up, the pipes expanded from the heat to close a seal. The mechanic didn't tighten it enough so i loosened the whole system and hand tightened everything. Now on start up, it's near perfect and sound has also gone down again by a few Db's. barely noticeable but the first thing my girlfriend said to me when i picked her up was "did you car get quieter?" so obviously it's not just me lol...

still need a go cam or someone to help me out with a video of the exhaust. so any volunteers are welcome. unless some galaxy s3 videos are sufficent enough... doesn't sound like how it actually sounds with my phone which is why i'm hesitant to upload haha..

instagram @Tylub
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #41
Tylub

okay... just had a dyno day at Evasive Motorsports.

still need drive bys and revs but this video has a couple downshifts in there that are pretty nice.

enjoy

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2HuxhtLYn4"]FR-S dyno day - YouTube[/ame]

instagram @Tylub
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #42
Wankel Rex

Drives: Silver Premium Edition BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just installed the Perrin header-back a week ago, except I went resonated (very glad I did).

Quite a noticeable increase in power and the torque dip is improved. Punching it around 5,000 RPM feels far more powerful to the ol' butt dyno.

Agreed that cold starts are extremely loud, and lower RPMs are really bass-heavy compared to 4,000+ .

I probably have 400-500 miles on the exhaust by now. Overall, I'm really happy with it. My only complaint is the damn left tip sticking out a bit more. For how quality the kit is this seems to be a simple design flaw.

Added Perrin's drop-in filter yesterday.

Oh yes... zero drone on the highway, which is why I went with the Perrin kit (and they have great service). Last thing I want is drone when driving from Ft. Worth to St. Louis.
Wankel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote