follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #2031
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I'm kinda with Rrnold... I still can't bring myself to shop a Hyundai or a Kia.
I understand the Hyundai thing, but i do believe the new kia optimas are quite nice
enjoi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #2032
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How did this thread move from the VS section? I just realized this.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #2033
thelegaCy

Drives: cbs brz limited - RIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejdm View Post
By far the people with the biggest chips on their shoulder are the Lancer Ralliart drivers, all years, all body styles. EVERY TIME I see one they are driving like A-holes, giving dirty looks, and performing ricer flybys.

I don't get it.
Lol i had a ralliart 09.. i wasnt one of those!!!
thelegaCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #2034
unknown_370

Drives: 11 370z sprt A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I like that you find the GC more confidence inspiring though. It sounds like Hyundai went with a safer setup like how Subaru made the BRZ more stable with added understeer.
Its not that hyundai went with a safer setup. Its that FR-S BRZ went with low grade everyday slim street tires. The hyundai like all the sports cars of the 08-09 intros has wide tire staggered setup on a rigid suspension. FRs people went with standard tires to give some instability for the so-called "fun effect". Put wide tires on the FR-S and you may find similar driving attributes. Same if you put 7 inch wide tires on a gencoupe.
FRs is going for low end fun while all the other sports cars are designed to be driven at the limit from there stock sport pkgs. Im sure over 100mph, the stock FRS wouldn't feel that confidence inspiring vs a gencoupe. Thats the tire suspension setup being focused for different things.
unknown_370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #2035
denverizzles

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
but at the end of the day... it's still a Hyundai.
But at the end of the day...it's still a Scion
denverizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2036
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverizzles View Post
But at the end of the day...it's still a Scion
I'd rather have the FR-S over a GC any end of the days!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #2037
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
Yeah I get frowns from gen guys. What is sad is that I have has some frowns from STI driver guys as well.
That's odd, I usually get a positive reaction from STI drivers. I always assumed it was because it's another car developed by Subaru.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #2038
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown_370 View Post
Its not that hyundai went with a safer setup. Its that FR-S BRZ went with low grade everyday slim street tires. The hyundai like all the sports cars of the 08-09 intros has wide tire staggered setup on a rigid suspension. FRs people went with standard tires to give some instability for the so-called "fun effect". Put wide tires on the FR-S and you may find similar driving attributes. Same if you put 7 inch wide tires on a gencoupe.
FRs is going for low end fun while all the other sports cars are designed to be driven at the limit from there stock sport pkgs. Im sure over 100mph, the stock FRS wouldn't feel that confidence inspiring vs a gencoupe. Thats the tire suspension setup being focused for different things.
The Genesis coupes tires is pretty slim for its size though. Its not as wide as 370Z. I think the front is 8 inches wide and the rear is 8.5.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #2039
kndonlee

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaObsession View Post
They don't have respect, because for years they churned out cheap, broken crap.

It has nothing to do with winning races.

But they have turned it around, and while they aren't as reliable as Toyota and Honda they are climbing. More importantly the way people perceive them has changed to being very reliable.
I have a theory on reliable manufacturers. Hyundai/Kia being Korean and Honda/Toyota/Nissan being Japanese have to eat their own dog food. Anyone visiting Korea/Japan would know that the masses abuse the hell out of the cars purely based on traffic being like LA or NYC everywhere. stop/go, all day long. Thus the success in catering to the native countries' needs makes the cars as reliable up to the abuse that their respective country will dole out on the car.

Not sure Mitsubishi really falls into that theory though...

You look at the wide open german countries and even VW Jettas were made to be excellent high-speed highway cruisers...

Anyway up until about 10-15 years ago, Hyundai licensed prior generation designs from Mercedes and I think Honda/Toyota and sold them under the Hyundai brand in Korea. I think there was a lot of R&D borrowing to establish itself to finally get to where they are now, but it wasn't w/out a lot of learning along the way.
kndonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #2040
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I tried to get a friend that was tired of his BMW coupe costing him a ton on maintenance to buy an FR-S to replace it, but he said while he liked the car he wanted a GC because it felt like more of an adult car. He wasn't bashing the FR-S, but it was still a facepalm moment. I guess he had a point, but I'm biased to the FR-S.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #2041
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTTx__QRcg&feature=player_embedded"]FRS (GT86, BRZ) vs Genesis Coupe vs Lotus Elise - Pacific Coast Highway Road Trip Review - YouTube[/ame]
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #2042
davidp

Drives: BRZ Limited
well .. i've owned both the gencoupe and a brz now ..

gencoupe was a better daily drive .. better equipment, more comfortable and it's a much more forgiving car vs fr-s/brz .. you can do some really stupid things before getting into trouble lol
i sold the genesis because i 've been used to drive smaller cars in the past and missed that go kart feeling..
brz is more fun to drive even if it's slow ..
genesis is much better during winter from what ive seen now .. the brz can be driven but there's no chance i will get a speeding ticket in a snowstorm like i did with the genesis .. the gen was much more stable at higher speeds but it lacked the nice engine sound and the sweet gearbox.. gearbox in the gen isn't bad but the feeling isn't as good...

there's one thing i really miss tho .. steering wheel controls.. may sound silly but the pioneer navi that comes with canadian model brz just sucks with it's tiny volume button ,,
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #2043
dori.
Señor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
how the hell can you get caught speeding in a snowstorm?

that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #2044
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've owned both as well, and they really are extremely different cars (aside from the 2 door RWD config). I had the 3.8L Track model so from a suspension standpoint, although the cornering was pretty darn good (for a BIG grand touring sporty car), the ride was so damn rough. The FR-S/BRZ can be a little rough at times, but it's a different feeling. The twins feel more planted and make you absorb the road, sometimes being a little harsh. But the Genesis snapped over bumps, to the point where it felt like your spine was going to be damaged and/or the suspension.

I agree with a previous poster, that said it does feel more mature. But that's because you get a near luxury cruiser that fends itself against the likes of the G37. It's a car that (loaded like mine was) got many complements even from the boring E-Class driving Merc crowd.

The twins, a little less so. Purpose built, no identity crisis, no frills sports car. Some may look at it and because of the badges (Scion, Toyota, Subaru), and not throw it in the upper tiers of manufacturers (thus giving it a "younger guys car"). Fine by me. Although I've had more people who don't know much about cars, think that I bought a much more expensive car than my Genesis Coupe. When I tell them that it was 2/3 the price, they were shocked. Of course I had to justify that it was still a better car IMO.

As for quality, and driving? Again both are/have gone through their growing pains. I had a 2010 Gen Coupe and there were TONS of TSB's, and little nit picking items for everyone to complain about (maybe none as big as the twins CEL issue, but still). The 2011 improved on the 2010 and the 2012 improved on the 2011, etc. The same will happen here, we just have to give it time. Having said that, I would never say that the Hyundai Gen Coupe was poorly made at all. It was a better made car than when I bought my G35 Coupe brand new back in 2004. Again, another car that suffered from its growing pains.

The Genesis had fairly decent power, great ergonomics (interior), okay for a 1st year car reliability, but it IS a grand touring car and not a canyon carver. Really depends on what you are looking for.

In the end, I do prefer the BRZ over the Genesis for more than one or two items. It's a sum of everything that I wanted in a car and no longer wanted in my previous cars. Lighter weight, better MPG, more tossable, smaller (both exterior AND interior). Basically I wanted nicely fitted glove, rather than a comfy pair of mittens.

And that's all I have to say about that!