follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #3137
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
I mentioned this problem awhile back, got told I over tightened.

I replaced all the bolts with black high tensile as Boxer 486 picture. Especially the pulley nuts, which I've snapped 2 with changing pulleys.

My mechanic used a hex head, knocked into the broken bolt and came out easy.
Thanks! So, I'm trying to understand how you (or your mechanic) removed the broken bolt (head missing).

I was planning to use an extractor. I have this tool kit, which has worked well on other bolts where the heads broke off:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industrial-53227-Multi-Spline-Extractor/dp/B0002SRG66/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_0"]Irwin Industrial Tool 53227 Hex Head Multi-Spline Extractor Set, 25-Piece - Amazon.com[/ame]

Did your mechanic use something similar? How'd he "knock into the broken bolt"? I've always had to drill a hole into the bolt, tap in the extractor, then unscrew.

Edit: It's a bit disheartening that Innovate is saying we "overtightened" them. I bought mine 2nd hand, so it was preinstalled. However, I'm pretty sure the bolt heads were there when I did the install. They seemed to pop off after a few thousand miles. The guy I bought it from, is a very competent, honest, good guy and I'm confident he torqued them to spec (everything else he did on this kit was properly done by the book). Looks like I'll be replacing them with higher quality bolts.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #3138
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
Thanks! So, I'm trying to understand how you (or your mechanic) removed the broken bolt (head missing).

I was planning to use an extractor. I have this tool kit, which has worked well on other bolts where the heads broke off:

Irwin Industrial Tool 53227 Hex Head Multi-Spline Extractor Set, 25-Piece - Amazon.com

Did your mechanic use something similar? How'd he "knock into the broken bolt"? I've always had to drill a hole into the bolt, tap in the extractor, then unscrew.

Edit: It's a bit disheartening that Innovate is saying we "overtightened" them. I bought mine 2nd hand, so it was preinstalled. However, I'm pretty sure the bolt heads were there when I did the install. They seemed to pop off after a few thousand miles. The guy I bought it from, is a very competent, honest, good guy and I'm confident he torqued them to spec (everything else he did on this kit was properly done by the book). Looks like I'll be replacing them with higher quality bolts.
I am shocked to hear the bolts have broken! I never over-tightened them. I was always worried that I hadn't tightened them enough actually...
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #3139
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
I am shocked to hear the bolts have broken! I never over-tightened them. I was always worried that I hadn't tightened them enough actually...
Trust me, I would never put the blame on you! I know you too well, and have talked with you enough to know everything was properly torqued. It's an easy fix.

...not to mention, several others have experienced the exact same thing and they properly torqued theirs as well. No worries. I'll replace them soon with better hardware!

I'm still loving the kit. No leaks that I know of. No belt issues. No hesitation now, runs silky smooth. Very happy!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #3140
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@TemeCal
We used the exact same method you described above to remove the broken thread of the bolt.
We did have the kit off the car, which made it easier.
Good luck.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #3141
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm consistently getting the check engine codes P219A and P2096. I've checked and have no boost leaks and my o2 sensors are screwed in nice and tight. Thoughts?
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #3142
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
I'm consistently getting the check engine codes P219A and P2096. I've checked and have no boost leaks and my o2 sensors are screwed in nice and tight. Thoughts?
What do the codes mean?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #3143
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I have two that broke off as well. In fact, one of them is the same bolt you had snap.

Let me know how successful you are extracting the bolt. I've been putting off extracting them.
two broke on me as well, on the left (passenger) side. I had no issues until I put the intercooler in.

Extracting them is easy. Just use a pick and a magnet. Fortunately the bolts spin so freely, you can get them out very easily.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #3144
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
Ouch! They should be supplying those higher grade bolts with the black oxide finish at a minimum. Thermal change and vibration must be too much.

Do you have the length, thread, and top hex size and everything so I can go to the hardware store and get enough to replace all of them? I guess I could just take one off after parking and walk in with it if I need to.

Also what's the torque as i bought mine used.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3145
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
What do the codes mean?

P219A = Bank 1 Air-Fuel Ratio Imbalance and P2096 = Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank 1
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #3146
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I'll leave this here.. after 800 miles in the winter.. driving nice..

I left the cheap clear tube on the outlet so I could see if any oil was getting past the can.. It's actually really clean.. Cleaner than I thought it would be..

The Following User Says Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
xxscaxx (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #3147
xxscaxx

Damnit I need a catch can. Thanks @calispec.

Tune date is set for the 15th. Flex fuel/70mm/intercooled
calispec (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #3148
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Do you have the length, thread, and top hex size and everything so I can go to the hardware store and get enough to replace all of them? I guess I could just take one off after parking and walk in with it if I need to.

Also what's the torque as i bought mine used.
So, I just took one off and matched it at Ace Hardware. I matched it to be M6 x 20.

Extracting the bad ones was VERY easy. I was actually shocked how little force it took to back them out. I used a hand center punch to create a small indentation on top of the broken bolt. Then I used a pick, and wiggled/scraped it out.

I do need the torque spec, if someone has that (I'll look in the manual to see if it is there).

Edit: Page 18 of the install shows they are indeed M6 x 20. Torque to 12Nm.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #3149
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
So, I just took one off and matched it at Ace Hardware. I matched it to be M6 x 20.

Extracting the bad ones was VERY easy. I was actually shocked how little force it took to back them out. I used a hand center punch to create a small indentation on top of the broken bolt. Then I used a pick, and wiggled/scraped it out.

I do need the torque spec, if someone has that (I'll look in the manual to see if it is there).
97 lb ft

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #3150
xxscaxx

Quote:

Edit: Page 18 of the install shows they are indeed M6 x 20. Torque to 12Nm.
Told ya Glad they came right out.
TemeCal (02-03-2014)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.