follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #85
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Okaaaa (bolded part) -

(sorry - me)

That's a tough call. Just because one dealership's (service writer) quoted you a non necessary charge, doesn't mean that their technicians aren't qualified to do the recall work.

Assuming you are planning to have the recall work done, I hear your question is - when (sooner or later)?

When discussing the procedure with the service writer (better yet the service manager) I would suggest you ask how many recalls have they done and how many cars had to be returned for further work?

If you feel comfortable with the service managers answer, you may wish go ahead and have the work done, especially if the re-registration of your car in Texas depends upon the recall work being completed.

On one hand the sooner you have the work done, the sooner that this situation will be resolved (peace of mind). On the other hand, holding off a while may give the dealerships more time to become more experienced/trained to successfully complete the work.

So, since my FR-S is under the recall, what am I going to do? I'm going to hold off for a while, in order for the manufacturer to refine the procedures and dealerships to gain more experience. Then again, I may never have the recall work done, for fear of them messing up a perfectly good running car?

When and if I have the work done, I will "interview" the service manager. Then request to speak with the tech that will be assigned to work on my car. If I feel comfortable with the attitude of the service manager and feel comfortable with the technicians knowledge and attention to detail (gut feeling), I will proceed to have them do the recall work.

What to do? Like they say in the Army, "it depends upon the situation".

humfrz

I wouldn't trust the service manager. He will say all the right things but when things go wrong, they are super quick to shift blame. The service manager at my dealer never picks up phone calls and don't call back but when i went in to see him, he was just playing on his phone.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-04-2019), mswbrz (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #86
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Dealership says tech found the ecu codes were recently deleted when they took the car from me. I told them I don't know what's going on. They say, based on that, they are not paying. I'm screwed.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #87
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86WI View Post
It was in a flat garage, or at least the garage where I normally check it which looks flat to me. I normally get a reading in the middle-ish, so this surprised me.

The dealership did call me back, and said it was about a 1/2 quart low, but they found no leaks or anything else when they looked it over. They said the oil was really clear since everything was freshly cleaned up and the new oil was added, but I don't know why I wouldn't have seen more oil.

Interestingly, they do seem to be aware of the issues going on, but they haven't had anyone come back to their dealership with issues post-recall. Apparently the tech is a part of "Toyota Forums", so he understood why I was concerned. If nothing else, I had the low-oil document in case something pops up.
Yeah I agree with you that you should have seen more if it was only 1/2qt low. 1/2qt low would be dead center between the dots. Maybe by 1/2qt low they mean 1/2qt below the low mark which is actually 1.5qt low.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #88
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Dealership says tech found the ecu codes were recently deleted when they took the car from me. I told them I don't know what's going on. They say, based on that, they are not paying. I'm screwed.
Note to self, get the valve recall done before my battery needs to be replaced because replacing your battery means voiding the recall warranty.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #89
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Note to self, get the valve recall done before my battery needs to be replaced because replacing your battery means voiding the recall warranty.
Agreed, I wouldn't take that shit lying down.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #90
msaikhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I flashed mine to stock tune from stage 1 OFT. And mines at the dealer right now for knocking noise. They better not pull sh** like that on me.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #91
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

ECU codes can be deleted and ecu reset by a simle loss of power to ecu ie wie when you remove battery terminal or battery goes flat. Seems unreasnoble that reset of ecu or deleting of codes coyld be used to deny warantee on its own, even if you did delete codes with a scanner it seems unreasnoble to deny warantee.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
caus (03-15-2019), humfrz (03-05-2019), Rampage (03-05-2019), why? (03-08-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #92
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So the "codes" got deleted when the disconnected the battery to complete the recall?
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
why? (03-08-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #93
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Quote:

Elevate to corporate (SOA -as high as possible), and write into 7 On Your Side. So sorry to hear the crap being flung at you by that dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PWBRZ For This Useful Post:
why? (03-08-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #94
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I got my car back from the dealer last Friday. On my way home white smoke started coming out of the hood when I stopped in traffic. When I got home it wasn't smoking anymore, but I noticed the coolant level was below low (hot), so I filled it up. It's now back down to just below the full level (hot). Obviously some coolant was probably spilled when they filled it up and it had soaked into the downpipe wrap. I've checked every day and always find a couple of drops of coolant on connectors under the top radiator hose. I've checked the hoses haven't been able to find a leak, though. I'm going to take it back to the dealer this week for them to verify the engine isn't leaking coolant. Also, the coolant is only visible on the passenger side, and there are visible signs of dried coolant drops in the same area. No pooling under the car while parked.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #95
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,341 Times in 7,389 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Go to NHTSA and file a complaint. I posted the info a while ago but it got buried. Stop giving the dealerships more time to jerk you around. Everyone that has an issue needs to do this. The more that file with the feds the more pull you have. It can be done online.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
ermax (03-05-2019), mswbrz (03-05-2019), x808drifter (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #96
msaikhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
Good idea- moved my question to the local DFW thread to see if they had suggestions.
Here's a better solution. Go to your dealer, speak to the manager and ask for the tech's certifications. Let them know you mean business.
This is from the Toyota corp to their dealers.

img|https://imgur.com/a/Ky71g2I
Old 03-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #97
Ongor

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
doing a quick search on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+bearing+fa20

It's amazing how common this issue is!, and also amazing there's no recall for it...
Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #98
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongor View Post
doing a quick search on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+bearing+fa20

It's amazing how common this issue is!, and also amazing there's no recall for it...
Rod bearing failures typically are a maintenance issue. If there was a true issue with the bearings/engine assembly the issues should have happened while cars were under the standard bumper to bumper warranty. Bearing failure 5-6 years later, often is not a manufacturing defect.

In these cases, its likely caused by careless technicians. You don't see many BRZ's having this failure after the recall(or the 3 other subaru models having the exact same issue completed).
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue