follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #1
draculr

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 Front Pipe questions

I've been searching through the forum and can see people confused and saying different things about whether or not the front pipe (2nd cat) is compatible between the 2017 and pre-2017 86 models?

I've bought a used 2017 which is in perfect condition apart from the 2nd cat having a really slight hit from a speed hump. I could leave it as is but every now and then I hear a slight rattle obviously from the cat having some loose material inside. (image attached)

I'm thinking of either replacing it with a stock pre-2017 version I can get from a local wrecker (from a car that had done 30k kms) or pick up an aftermarket front pipe.

My two questions are: are 2017 models compatible with pre-2017 front pipes? Also if I go aftermarket (something like this: https://www.mrcperformance.com.au/ve...-brz-high-flow) will it throw engine check codes since the cat has changed? I'm guessing not as there's no o2 sensor on the secondary cat?

Thanks!
Attached Images

draculr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
lefelman

Drives: 2014 Steel FRS 6AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yuup front pipes are identical only the axle back portion (muffler) the flange has changed, thats the only difference between the pre-2017 and the post-2017
lefelman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lefelman For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-08-2019), eastendraceshop (01-08-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by draculr View Post
Also if I go aftermarket (something like this: https://www.mrcperformance.com.au/ve...-brz-high-flow) will it throw engine check codes since the cat has changed? I'm guessing not as there's no o2 sensor on the secondary cat?

Thanks!
No CEL, secondary cat is not monitored Only the header cat is monitored.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
if you are going through the trouble why not put a nice high flow cat on there
Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
draculr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
if you are going through the trouble why not put a nice high flow cat on there
Yea if it doesn't require a tune I probably will do that. The only other thing I'm concerned about is if a high flow cat without a resonator would cause much drone on the highway? The stock unit has the cat and resonator built in and most (if not all) catted aftermarket pipes seem to not have a resonator.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by draculr View Post
Yea if it doesn't require a tune I probably will do that. The only other thing I'm concerned about is if a high flow cat without a resonator would cause much drone on the highway? The stock unit has the cat and resonator built in and most (if not all) catted aftermarket pipes seem to not have a resonator.

Not sure what you can get in the AUS but JDL makes a catted/resonated fp. And I have Hooker Blackheart catted/Helmholtz resonated fp on my setup.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/hook...E#.XC6yA2cUnX4
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
draculr

Quote:
Not sure what you can get in the AUS but JDL makes a catted/resonated fp. And I have Hooker Blackheart catted/Helmholtz resonated fp on my setup.

Surprisingly the shipping from there to AU isn't too bad for such a large item. Although i'd definitely be hit with import taxes :/
Old 01-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #8
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Damage looks like superficial heat shield damage only. Are you sure the noise is broken cat pieces and not something else like a loosened fastener?
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 AM   #9
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just knock out the cat if it's rattling.

No cost (bar gaskets), and no codes.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #10
draculr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Damage looks like superficial heat shield damage only. Are you sure the noise is broken cat pieces and not something else like a loosened fastener?
I had it hoisted up and we gave everything back from there a check and nothing was loose. I gave the cat a knock and heard a very slight rattle from it which would be amplified by the pressures of the exhaust which is why I'm confident it must be a very, very minor amount of internal damage caused by the knock.

I actually just picked up the car second hand (2017 model with 23k kms) and by law in Australia it has a 3 month used car dealer warranty on top of the new car warranty. I'm going to take it in so they can have a look and perhaps replace it.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #11
draculr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Just knock out the cat if it's rattling.

No cost (bar gaskets), and no codes.
Mate, you have no idea how tempted I am to do that. I've had three cars which ever developed issues in my life and all three were cats failing. I hate the things!
Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
junior-subie

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

How do you like that front pipe? Haven't heard too much about it. Thinking to swap out my stock front pipe since my catback produces a lot of drone, and this one seems like a good choice since it has a built-in Helmholtz resonator.
junior-subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would just remove that heat shield. Those are common sources of rattle noises on Subarus, especially at higher mileage. See if that fixes it before you go spending money.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #14
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-subie View Post
How do you like that front pipe? Haven't heard too much about it. Thinking to swap out my stock front pipe since my catback produces a lot of drone, and this one seems like a good choice since it has a built-in Helmholtz resonator.

Yes the J-pipe/Helmholtz resonators are good for cancelling out frequencies/drone at a certain rpm range.

I changed both that and Borla exhaust at the same time as setting up my Ace 350 so its hard to say which component did the most but drone is minimal and civil for having an opened up exhaust

Id choose between the Hooker FP or JDL catted/resonated if you have a catless header. I don't think just a high flow cat is enough for noise suppression unless you like being obnoxiously loud in a fairly slow car.

For the OP I would also check the overpipe which has shielding that can rattle as well in the same area
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote