follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List
Tor

Old 12-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I flashed another version before I left. Instead of rescaling, I just brought the rev limiter down below 7450 and made the split 7450/7350. It sucked! Felt like the stock rev limiter where the power brutally dies off at the top. It annoyed me that much, that for the first time I flashed my car away from home when I arrived at the place where the training was to take place. The way the pros do it with Ecutek must involve some other parameters than just changing the split.

By the way, it was a complete waste of time! Those that know me from other threads know that I tend to focus on unimportant details. Not once did I have the car in the rev limiter during the training.

I am a total noob when it comes to drifting and didn't know what to expect. But I can say now that driving the car in the rev limiter was not part of basic exercises. Drifting (or trying to) on a wet skid pad feels like driving on ice and the rpm were hardly over 3k.

Great fun it was, and excellent learning experience.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #16
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Funny thing is, Chris (the owner/driver on those videos) got that rev limiter trying to replicate OFT's soft limiter

He asked online how to get a rev limiter that wouldn't bounce back like the stock rev limiter, because his Ecutek tune was bouncing back a lot and he lost power mid-drift and it was a hassle to maintain drift at higher rpms.

I talked to him about OFT's Soft Rev Limiter, and referred him to @steve99 for further technical questions, and with his help he got his rev limiter to where it is now.

So I don't really understand your concern.. I feel like OFT's soft rev limiter is the best rev limiter to not lose power at all

PS: I also referred him to the donations thread, i hope he donated, Steve!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102363
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tato.valverde For This Useful Post:
Tor (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #17
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
I flashed another version before I left. Instead of rescaling, I just brought the rev limiter down below 7450 and made the split 7450/7350. It sucked! Felt like the stock rev limiter where the power brutally dies off at the top. It annoyed me that much, that for the first time I flashed my car away from home when I arrived at the place where the training was to take place. The way the pros do it with Ecutek must involve some other parameters than just changing the split.

By the way, it was a complete waste of time! Those that know me from other threads know that I tend to focus on unimportant details. Not once did I have the car in the rev limiter during the training.

I am a total noob when it comes to drifting and didn't know what to expect. But I can say now that driving the car in the rev limiter was not part of basic exercises. Drifting (or trying to) on a wet skid pad feels like driving on ice and the rpm were hardly over 3k.

Great fun it was, and excellent learning experience.
As wayne was saying you need to get the ignition retard to do the rpm limiting, and just use the stock rpm limiter setting as a failsafe. Else one you hit the stack fuel cut rpm limiter it will be harsh fuel cut.

So you need the ignition retard to start well before the stock limiter setting so the power reduction can limit rpm and it doesnypt hit the stock limiter, this may be difficult in low gears low load as the rpm clims so rapidly, but works well in higher gears.

you need to increas the delta between the ignition retard and the stock fuel cut limiter setting
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tor (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
Funny thing is, Chris (the owner/driver on those videos) got that rev limiter trying to replicate OFT's soft limiter

He asked online how to get a rev limiter that wouldn't bounce back like the stock rev limiter, because his Ecutek tune was bouncing back a lot and he lost power mid-drift and it was a hassle to maintain drift at higher rpms.

I talked to him about OFT's Soft Rev Limiter, and referred him to @steve99 for further technical questions, and with his help he got his rev limiter to where it is now.

So I don't really understand your concern.. I feel like OFT's soft rev limiter is the best rev limiter to not lose power at all

PS: I also referred him to the donations thread, i hope he donated, Steve!
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102363
Trying to summon @ChrisD to this thread then... maybe he can shed some light what Fennsport actually did?

If you look at the second video I posted, the VLN series GT86 has a very similar rev limiter.

What I don't like about the OTS limiter is that it's not clearly defined when you hit the limiter.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
As wayne was saying you need to get the ignition retard to do the rpm limiting, and just use the stock rpm limiter setting as a failsafe. Else one you hit the stack fuel cut rpm limiter it will be harsh fuel cut.

So you need the ignition retard to start well before the stock limiter setting so the power reduction can limit rpm and it doesnypt hit the stock limiter, this may be difficult in low gears low load as the rpm clims so rapidly, but works well in higher gears.

you need to increas the delta between the ignition retard and the stock fuel cut limiter setting
7475/7450, and Base Timing B rescaled to 7500 seems to work quite well. I can sit in the limiter with slightly reduced power. But there is a clear feeling "here to, and not further" as opposed to the OTS that just tapers off. I think I will leave it like that until I might get lucky to get further info. Doing my own further research feels like raping the engine, which I am not willing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Wayno (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Trying to summon @ChrisD to this thread then... maybe he can shed some light what Fennsport actually did?

If you look at the second video I posted, the VLN series GT86 has a very similar rev limiter.

What I don't like about the OTS limiter is that it's not clearly defined when you hit the limiter.
ECUTEK have their own rpm limiter system using additional software code, they have per gear rpm limits and soft rpm limiter built in its just a matter of ticking check boxs in the ecutek definitions. and by switcching map modes you can have different rpm limit settings

and even valet mode map limited to 3500 , you can also remap the throttle on different maps as well
Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
7475/7450, and Base Timing B rescaled to 7500 seems to work quite well. I can sit in the limiter with slightly reduced power. But there is a clear feeling "here to, and not further" as opposed to the OTS that just tapers off. I think I will leave it like that until I might get lucky to get further info. Doing my own further research feels like raping the engine, which I am not willing to do.
Logs would be great.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Logs would be great.
I didn't make any, as I needed the OBD2 port to monitor oil/water temp (I taped up 1/3 of my air inlet to cover my oil cooler). Wanted to be sure if I needed to remove it.

Well, with the low rpm on the skid pad, I thought I needed it anyway. Temps, of course, kept low with 3k'ish rpm, even taped up.

I'll see if I can make some logs the next few days. Any particular way you would like it? Hitting the rpm limiter in the different gears e.g. (don't say 6th gear )?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #23
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
ECUTEK have their own rpm limiter system using additional software code, they have per gear rpm limits and soft rpm limiter built in its just a matter of ticking check boxs in the ecutek definitions. and by switcching map modes you can have different rpm limit settings

and even valet mode map limited to 3500 , you can also remap the throttle on different maps as well
Damn Ecutek.
I am getting more and more keen on trying it out. Would it be difficult to port Wayno's tune over? Is a cable and a license enough to be able to edit DIY?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #24
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quote:
Damn Ecutek.
I am getting more and more keen on trying it out. Would it be difficult to port Wayno's tune over? Is a cable and a license enough to be able to edit DIY?
If a hysteresis value as low as 25 rpm works, then likely ecutek wouldn't be any different, particularly if the 2 stage launch control is effected also.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #25
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
If a hysteresis value as low as 25 rpm works, then likely ecutek wouldn't be any different, particularly if the 2 stage launch control is effected also.
It doesn't sound like the Ecutec limiter in the 2 videos. It just sits there at the limit. Rpm doesn't increase or decrease. No spectacular noises either. There is a noticeable loss of power. "Slight" might be an understatement, but it's difficult to judge because it could also just be the feeling of the lack of further acceleration.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #26
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Damn Ecutek.
yep you could port it to ecutek.

you would need cable and licience to be able to flash.

With standard ecutek software you only get access to map 1 and limited racerom features but enough for what you want.

if you wanted stuff put on map 2,3,4 or other racerom stuff me of some other guys here could help you out

you need the racerom extension pack to edit that stuff, but somone else can add it for you and you can flash it ok with standard ecutek cable and licience. or flash roms you purchase from other pro ecutek tuners
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tor (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #27
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
here we go

http://datazap.me/u/aagunss/rev-limtter?log=0&data=0

my three logs

27 - 28 - 29
in 28 the ecu start selfsafe mode and kill the throttle
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #28
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagun View Post
here we go

http://datazap.me/u/aagunss/rev-limtter?log=0&data=0

my three logs

27 - 28 - 29
in 28 the ecu start selfsafe mode and kill the throttle
That's Ecutek? Looks like they do it with timing...
Your log: http://datazap.me/u/aagunss/rev-limt...zoom=1044-1118

Here is a new test on request of Wayno 7450/7425 and LC at 4000.

My log:
http://datazap.me/u/tor/rev-limit-74...zoom=2164-2226

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwKRUXNHSM"]Rev limit test - YouTube[/ame]

(I always wear sterile latex gloves when working on the ECU ).

and the log for the whole sequence:

http://datazap.me/u/tor/rev-limit-74...zoom=1444-2489

Last edited by Tor; 12-09-2016 at 02:24 PM.