follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #43
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you like the Si you will love the CTR. Tried to buy a ND. Just wasn't big enough. Bought a BRZ before the CTR came out. Was able to get a CTR at MSRP. Sold the BRZ. Love the CTR.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #44
JR

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I would recommend the CTR over the Si as well if it is in your price range and you don't mind the styling.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #45
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
CTR is an awesomely capable car...amazing how fast it is around tracks. Just absolutely disgusting to look at... and weighs too much. Civics now weigh 3k+ lbs and are absolutely big next to the FR-S (might as we be a minivan) - what has this world come to? First time a new civic parked next to my FR-S I actually thought it was a new Accord...my jaw dropped. I thought my Civic DX 4 door sedan was a little heavy at 2200 lbs... If Honda could ever get back to their roots (lightweight vehicles, double wishbone front suspension, high revving bulletproof NA motors with character) I'd go back. No way for that to happen in the current automotive climate though. The 86/BRZ and MX5 is the last bastion of NA powered lightweight vehicles.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #46
imped4now

Drives: '17 BRZ PP - '17 FoRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
CTR is an awesomely capable car...amazing how fast it is around tracks. Just absolutely disgusting to look at... and weighs too much. Civics now weigh 3k+ lbs and are absolutely big next to the FR-S (might as we be a minivan) - what has this world come to? First time a new civic parked next to my FR-S I actually thought it was a new Accord...my jaw dropped. I thought my Civic DX 4 door sedan was a little heavy at 2200 lbs... If Honda could ever get back to their roots (lightweight vehicles, double wishbone front suspension, high revving bulletproof NA motors with character) I'd go back. No way for that to happen in the current automotive climate though. The 86/BRZ and MX5 is the last bastion of NA powered lightweight vehicles.
I agree with your last sentence. The new Civic is actually light *for what it is* and for its size. The Si weighs about 2900 lb and the Type R is about 3100. My Focus RS weighs about 3400 lb. The Type R is the lightest of the "mega hatches" nowadays.

So, they may not be ultra light but considering the BRZ weighs about 2800 lb, I wouldn't consider any of the current Civics heavy *by today's standards.*
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #47
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
The plot thickens… She Who Must Be Obeyed At All Times and In All Things (Mrs. AnalogMan) has ‘suggested’ that I should buy a “practical” car that would be usable in the winter, since my Mustang has the traction in the snow of a hockey puck on wet ice, and she doesn’t want us both needing to use the Subaru in winter weather. In New England that means FWD or AWD. So, I’ve tentatively decided to buy the Civic Si Coupe (I just can’t stomach the looks of the Type R… I respect that it’s a fantastic performing car, but, being on the wrong side of 60, I would feel silly driving it).

BUT – in her Infinite Benevolence and Wisdom, I’ve been encouraged to consider buying another car(!) in addition to (but after) a ‘practical’ one, purely as a toy (especially since I probably won’t be keeping the Mustang forever).

So, another thing to ponder – would it be silly to have both a Honda Civic Si Coupe and a Subaru BRZ? Are they too similar? Two 205 hp, similarly sized and comparably performing coupes, differentiated primarily by RWD vs FWD?
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #48
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You will probably fall in love with one of them and never drive the other.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #49
s2kbobby

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I sold my 2013 BRZ to a nice young girl who said she had been wanting one "all my life." I found the BRZ wanting horsepower and a little more luxury. We went with this AWD Lexus RC350 F Sport.

Sorry about the stock image.
s2kbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s2kbobby For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #50
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kbobby View Post
I sold my 2013 BRZ to a nice young girl who said she had been wanting one "all my life." I found the BRZ wanting horsepower and a little more luxury. We went with this AWD Lexus RC350 F Sport.

Sorry about the stock image.
s2kbobby, you read my mind. I was just thinking that I could get exactly that car for the combined price of a BRZ and Civic Si.

BUT... I have always loved and driven manual transmissions, and was looking forward to another one. I hadn't even considered any automatics (otherwise the Infiniti Q60 would also be on the list).

The Lexus is only available with an automatic. Do you miss driving a stick? Is the auto sufficiently satisfying in that car?

Thank you!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #51
JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
The plot thickens… She Who Must Be Obeyed At All Times and In All Things (Mrs. AnalogMan) has ‘suggested’ that I should buy a “practical” car that would be usable in the winter, since my Mustang has the traction in the snow of a hockey puck on wet ice, and she doesn’t want us both needing to use the Subaru in winter weather. In New England that means FWD or AWD. So, I’ve tentatively decided to buy the Civic Si Coupe (I just can’t stomach the looks of the Type R… I respect that it’s a fantastic performing car, but, being on the wrong side of 60, I would feel silly driving it).

BUT – in her Infinite Benevolence and Wisdom, I’ve been encouraged to consider buying another car(!) in addition to (but after) a ‘practical’ one, purely as a toy (especially since I probably won’t be keeping the Mustang forever).

So, another thing to ponder – would it be silly to have both a Honda Civic Si Coupe and a Subaru BRZ? Are they too similar? Two 205 hp, similarly sized and comparably performing coupes, differentiated primarily by RWD vs FWD?
They're two completely different vehicles and you will notice it as soon as you sit in one, but like another person mentioned, you will probably end up driving one a lot more than the other. I would recommend getting your "practical" vehicle with an automatic and your "toy" with a manual.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #52
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
STI
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #53
JR

Quote:
s2kbobby, you read my mind. I was just thinking that I could get exactly that car for the combined price of a BRZ and Civic Si.

BUT... I have always loved and driven manual transmissions, and was looking forward to another one. I hadn't even considered any automatics (otherwise the Infiniti Q60 would also be on the list).

The Lexus is only available with an automatic. Do you miss driving a stick? Is the auto sufficiently satisfying in that car?

Thank you!
Watch this and thank me later

The Following User Says Thank You to JR For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #54
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

rear wheel drive does as well as fwd with the appropriate shoes on.
Spuds (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 AM   #55
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Focus RS is what you're looking for. If you want something classier, also consider the Golf R or S3.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 AM   #56
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
If you want something classier, also consider the Golf R or S3.
A MK7 Golf .:R would fit the bill -- I was surprised by how capable that hatch was. So much faster and refined compared to my MKV GTI.

I bet boss lady would be happy.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote