follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Protege13

Drives: Mazda Protege 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Test drove my first FR-S

I posted a while ago about my interest in an FR-S, coming from a 2003 Protege. I finally got around to actual car shopping - with my schedule it's hard to find the time.

Anyway, I went out yesterday and test drove a few cars. I went in to a Toyota dealer thinking I'd try the new 2017, but they were out of stock and told me they won't be getting any all winter.

SO, the first one I drove was a brand new 2015 FR-S (yeah, they still had it sitting on the lot!) It was in automatic, unfortunately, as I'm looking to buy a manual. But, they were the only ones in the strip of car dealers I was at that had one, so I decided to try it just to get a feel for the car.

Initial thoughts:

- Getting in the car felt really comfortable for me. I'm 5'10". Getting OUT of the car was a little more difficult, but didn't seem uncomfortable either.

- I'm a slender guy, but even so, I was impressed with how much room my legs had in the drivers seat. In pictures it looked like I'd be cramped up there. Speaking of room, the passenger side has leg room for days.

- The fake carbon fiber stuff was a lot higher quality than I imagined, I actually kinda liked it.

- The seats in this car are the best stock seats I think I've ever sat in, in my life. It's like you're in a cockpit. They hug me perfectly and the back support was fantastic. It was extremely comfortable while being sporty. When I got back into my car (which I always thought had pretty comfy seats compared to other cars I've been in) I felt like I was on a hard wooden bench in comparison.

- Everything about the buttons/screen/controls etc was bigger and better than I expected. The only thing I found fiddly was the side mirror adjuster.

- The drive itself was great. I definitely need to test it more, but my first impression was really positive. The car isn't a speed demon like many have said. It doesn't get anywhere close to accelerating as fast as the tuned v8 charger I drive at work. I know I'm echoing what has been said a million times already, but... the car is a lot more fun. The handling was amazing, and I actually was able to kick the back end out around a corner. What a feeling. Low speeds felt fast to me. I was cruising at 30mph at one point and thought I was going like 45+. The car has some pretty good pickup and go when I needed it to, though. Breaks felt really good too.

- The storage space is insane for a small car. My gf told me I could sleep in it when she saw it, LOL. I checked and measured and checked again, and some of you may remember I asked about putting a drumkit in this car - believe it or not, all of MY equipment WILL fit. It's a tight fit, but it will fit none the less. I'll make sure to post a picture whenever I pickup my FRS

- Last of all, and most important : my girlfriend took the test drive with me, and she LOVED it. She told me to buy it on the spot, especially because the guy was trying to give me a really good deal to get it off the lot. I really want a manual though, so I'm holding out.

Although I know I'm not providing any new info for you guys, I had to gush about it. I've been wanting to get inside one of these since 2013 and I finally did... and man was it good. The car feels really special and I'm hooked more than I was before. Can't wait to find one that fits my bill.
Protege13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Protege13 For This Useful Post:
bedabi (11-20-2016), dnieves (11-21-2016), EAGLE5 (11-20-2016), Hoahao (11-21-2016), humfrz (11-20-2016), Mim (11-20-2016), PNW FRS (11-20-2016), SC10N (11-21-2016), Somerandom18 (11-20-2016), Tcoat (11-20-2016), ToyotaFan84 (11-20-2016), turtlefeeder (11-20-2016), Ultramaroon (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I finally test drove an FRS a month ago. I agree, not a speed demon but enough for me. The salesman was newly hired so he kept telling me to push the car haha. Being a former car salesman myself I was kind of annoyed. I've had my fair share of many different vehicles so nothing really blew me away about it but it's definitely what I'm looking for in a next car. The 99 Miata wasn't cutting it when we'd have to take two vehicles whenever I wanted to drive it on a really nice day to family get togethers.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xrs For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege13 View Post
I posted a while ago about my interest in an FR-S, coming from a 2003 Protege. I finally got around to actual car shopping - with my schedule it's hard to find the time.
If I were in the market now for a new 2+2 in the 25-30k price range, the twins are still the way I'd go. At double or triple the price, if you can swing it, I'd look at the M2, M240i, and GT350, as long as fuel economy doesn't matter to you.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Although I know I'm not providing any new info for you guys, I had to gush about it. I've been wanting to get inside one of these since 2013 and I finally did... and man was it good. The car feels really special and I'm hooked more than I was before. Can't wait to find one that fits my bill.
Always nice to read about it. Yup, you're a goner.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I am 6'1" and 63 years old, so I think you'll do fine being comfortable inside and getting out.

This is a very, very fun car to drive-- clearly the most fun car I've ever had. German cars tend to feel solid but have a "serious" feeling about them, as opposed to being fun. The 86 is 10 times more fun to drive than my E36 M3.
I test drove Porsches before buying the 86 and don't recall smiling once.

It is my daily driver but also provides giggles in tearing up onramps on the weekend. Really a great car.

I think the 86 is the spiritual successor of the Alfa Romeos of the 60's and 70's, which were some of the sportiest and most passionate cars of their time. But the 86 would blow their doors off on any race track.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
3 posters with 2013 FR-S's.

OGFRS!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
3 posters with 2013 FR-S's.

OGFRS!
Das right! Yo!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Protege - Head for a Subaru dealer and get a BRZ rather than waiting for the Toy dealer to get you a car. The headlights are better and the seat fabric is nicer. Use the money you saved to get winter wheels and tires.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
"Protege - Head for a Subaru dealer and get a BRZ rather than waiting for the Toy dealer to get you a car."

I second that.

Also >take your time< and get the exact model and color you desire...and at a good discount.

Even 2017s are discounted this time of year. Even 'ordered' cars can be discounted.

Dealers will also deal on the last days of any month.

Be willing to look outside of your area for the car you want. These cars are bulletproof, I've found, so no real reason to be living or working near the store where you buy a car.

Subaru base model, 2017 model year, the premium is $805. cheaper than the 86.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
As much as some despise extra gadgets and comfort features like climate control aircon, keyless entry, push start, heated seats, etc... they do make long term ownership more enjoyable. Protégé, as something you didn't really mention, I thought I'd bring it up as something to consider.

Owning a BRZ myself I might appear a little biased, but I really do think the new 2017 BRZ looks a lot better than the 86 so if you are in a position to wait a little longer for the 2017 refresh I'd simply place an order for exactly what you want. I'd also look into the new performance pack option, though I believe its still awaiting release?

Lastly in terms of value retention, BRZ's are rarer than 86's and (in Australia's case) have a 3 year resale value higher by a few % being a crazy 62%, which is higher than most Porsches and just about any Euro. In years to come the BRZ will become the real cult car of the two simply down to rarity.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Mine is a DD and after 3 years... still enjoying it a lot. Good luck with the hunt... get a MT... you'll be happier with the drive.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
Yal
#subaruambassador

Drives: Wheezy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought a 2016 BRZ in August and have loved it. I got the keyless entry, which has spoiled me. I got clipped by another driver, so for the last three weeks, I've been walking up to a ford focus and trying to get in without the key. I got used to that REAL quick. I was going to get another 2008 Z4, but got this as my DD commuter. No regrets! The community of the niche car has been fun as well.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #13
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Quote:

Anyway, I went out yesterday and test drove a few cars. I went in to a Toyota dealer thinking I'd try the new 2017, but they were out of stock and told me they won't be getting any all winter.

SO, the first one I drove was a brand new 2015 FR-S (yeah, they still had it sitting on the lot!) It was in automatic, unfortunately, as I'm looking to buy a manual. But, they were the only ones in the strip of car dealers I was at that had one, so I decided to try it just to get a feel for the car.

Initial thoughts:

- Getting in the car felt really comfortable for me. I'm 5'10". Getting OUT of the car was a little more difficult, but didn't seem uncomfortable either.

- I'm a slender guy, but even so, I was impressed with how much room my legs had in the drivers seat. In pictures it looked like I'd be cramped up there. Speaking of room, the passenger side has leg room for days.

- The fake carbon fiber stuff was a lot higher quality than I imagined, I actually kinda liked it.

- The seats in this car are the best stock seats I think I've ever sat in, in my life. It's like you're in a cockpit. They hug me perfectly and the back support was fantastic. It was extremely comfortable while being sporty. When I got back into my car (which I always thought had pretty comfy seats compared to other cars I've been in) I felt like I was on a hard wooden bench in comparison.

- Everything about the buttons/screen/controls etc was bigger and better than I expected. The only thing I found fiddly was the side mirror adjuster.

- The drive itself was great. I definitely need to test it more, but my first impression was really positive. The car isn't a speed demon like many have said. It doesn't get anywhere close to accelerating as fast as the tuned v8 charger I drive at work. I know I'm echoing what has been said a million times already, but... the car is a lot more fun. The handling was amazing, and I actually was able to kick the back end out around a corner. What a feeling. Low speeds felt fast to me. I was cruising at 30mph at one point and thought I was going like 45+. The car has some pretty good pickup and go when I needed it to, though. Breaks felt really good too.

- The storage space is insane for a small car. My gf told me I could sleep in it when she saw it, LOL. I checked and measured and checked again, and some of you may remember I asked about putting a drumkit in this car - believe it or not, all of MY equipment WILL fit. It's a tight fit, but it will fit none the less. I'll make sure to post a picture whenever I pickup my FRS

- Last of all, and most important : my girlfriend took the test drive with me, and she LOVED it. She told me to buy it on the spot, especially because the guy was trying to give me a really good deal to get it off the lot. I really want a manual though, so I'm holding out.

Haha not write up good for you man. wait till you do things to it 😎
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #14
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you liked the seats in this car , check out the Alacanta seats in the BRZ limited.

Superb fit for me and holds me in place very well with their non intrusive bolsters.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote