follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #393
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent201089 View Post
Another thank for your helpful tips. Just a quick question. If you can, please link a spraymax 2k product on ebay. I just wanna see the correct one to buy (confused between the white/blue lable and the one with a red square lable). Thanks a ton.
I believe they are the same, I ordered the red orangish label one on Amazon and got the blue in the shipment. I was like wtf then checked the part # and it's the same.

For those that are hesitant, just go for it. I was nervous too but pulled the trigger and it was really easy. Just take your time with the sanding and evenly coating with paint.

Just a little tip that worked for me..If you get a spec of dust or grass in the wet paint, gently pick it off with your nail right before your next coat.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
vincent201089 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #394
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tips with Spraymax:

1. Wear a good quality respirator. That thing is different from the rattle cans and will mess up your lungs if inhaled.

2. Get as far away from anything you don't want to get oversprayed. I was 15-20 feet from my FRS and it still got hit. I had to claybar the whole car. Spraymax seems to have particles that travel far before drying up compared to rattle cans.
vincent201089 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #395
retrosmiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
I feel like I keep repeating myself lol, i'm pretty sure I have answered every question here but I will go through it again.

1. no - I cleaned my tails very well, then just started spraying.

2. 3-4 coats of metalcast. Yes, thin coats, take your time, and go until you have reached the desired darkness of color.

3. I only sanded in between the metalcast coats when I needed to (ex. if dirt/dust/hair got on the coat). I did NOT sand on the last coat of metalcast. The last coat was sprayed, let dry, then went into clearing.

4. I did not use the whole can of spraymax. I did 4-5 coats of clear (which was probably overkill but the can is useless after you mix it after 24hrs). Same process as the metalcast. Light layers, if you spray it on too heavy you will get run marks.

Hope this helps!
For #1, I disagree with this. I painted a piece of plastic before without sanding it, the paint peeled after a few months. There has to be something rough for the paint to grip on.

For #3, tack clothes can be used to get dust off freshly-painted surfaces.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #396
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent201089 View Post
Another thank for your helpful tips. Just a quick question. If you can, please link a spraymax 2k product on ebay. I just wanna see the correct one to buy (confused between the white/blue lable and the one with a red square lable). Thanks a ton.
This is where I bought mine, exact one.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...clearcoat.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
Tips with Spraymax:

1. Wear a good quality respirator. That thing is different from the rattle cans and will mess up your lungs if inhaled.

2. Get as far away from anything you don't want to get oversprayed. I was 15-20 feet from my FRS and it still got hit. I had to claybar the whole car. Spraymax seems to have particles that travel far before drying up compared to rattle cans.
1. Agreed completely. Forgot to mention that. They mention it on the can and you also have to agree to wear one to even buy it lol.

2. Think this is kind of self explanatory, i'd never paint near my car, and if I did it would get covered.

Quote:
For #1, I disagree with this. I painted a piece of plastic before without sanding it, the paint peeled after a few months. There has to be something rough for the paint to grip on.

For #3, tack clothes can be used to get dust off freshly-painted surfaces.
1. You can disagree, but I've had my tails for months painted and they are perfect. I wanted to sand them, but was worried it would take away from the clarity. Wasn't about to experiment on my only set of lights. I did spray a spare light I had, but I can't remember if I sanded or not. If my lights start acting up I will make sure to post it up in here but i'm not worried at all about them.

3. Agreed, I have tack cloths but not everyone has them. Also if the paint dries before you can use them, you will need to lightly sand to get it out.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
ShoNUFF (11-30-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #397
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Should i wait for each later of metal cast to dry COMPLETELY before apply the next one? and on avg how long should i wait? for each to dry, i know ambient and atm is gonna be a factor but just a rough estimate.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #398
retrosmiths

30 min in between on a nice day
wallace03 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #399
Shindig

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
I have clear lens Spyder tails with black housing and really want the lens tinted red...Looks way cleaner on Raven

I have absolutely zero painting experience so am really worried to screw things up...Should I get someone to do this for me?

I also had zero experience installing anything electronic and managed to install my own Pioneer head unit so I'm not an idiot but as an engineer I always like to do things myself if possible! Any recommendations? Willing to spend some $ to make it perfect but not if it's not worth it or could easily be done myself (the DIY guides in this thread seem easy enough to follow but it's all about technique with painting which can't really be explained)
FYI @tiz22, @NorCal_Guy painted my tails and I just got them back today. They look awesome! You can check out the end results here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=34165&page=5

If you're interested, he can do yours too. Just send him a pm.
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shindig For This Useful Post:
tiz22 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #400
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post
FYI @tiz22, @NorCal_Guy painted my tails and I just got them back today. They look awesome! You can check out the end results here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=34165&page=5

If you're interested, he can do yours too. Just send him a pm.
They look great, i'll toss him a PM...Did you ship yours to him? I don't think I can do that cuz I won't have lights to drive around haha I sold my stocks
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #401
Shindig

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
They look great, i'll toss him a PM...Did you ship yours to him? I don't think I can do that cuz I won't have lights to drive around haha I sold my stocks
Haha nuts... maybe find a loaner car?? haha. We're both in the bay area so I was able to drop them off for him to work on. Good luck with yours though!
Shindig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #402
smbstyle

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
@DarrenDriven and anyone else, help!

So I went to re-do my lights, as there was a defect in them (spot that I sanded down too much and took the clear/red paint off).

Lacquer thinner is NOT working to take the clear/paint combo off; it is on there good. Now it looks even worse after trying to remove the paint/clear off with the lacquer thinner.

Any advice? Can I just sand them down or something?
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #403
retrosmiths

Sand it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #404
smbstyle

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Sand it.
Okay, I'm going to try that next; will report back.

Just a FYI for anyone else... don't bother with the lacquer thinner, it will make it worse.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #405
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So i just finished painting my tails red, and they turned out pretty good. However, i have that orange-peel texture from the clear that some other people have. Does anyone know if it is safe to use a DA buffer on spraymax 2k to smooth out the texture? i tried using it my first layer of metalcast red and it just took the paint off.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #406
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
Okay, I'm going to try that next; will report back.

Just a FYI for anyone else... don't bother with the lacquer thinner, it will make it worse.
How? I used acetone(stronger than lacquer), it turned out to be good. It might look horrible after u clean them. However, as soon as you apply red coat. The horrible look is just gone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk