follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #10571
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi all,

For the patient ones, my ESC system is for sale here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122283

FYI I'm in Toronto
illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #10572
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone try to reform the resonator box instead of removing it? Tried to test fit Sojhinn's Phantom kit which was delivered here yesterday and was thinking on keeping it and just reshaping the plastic with some judicious heat gun and pressure like some people do on their snorklke on the other side of the radiator. It only would need a small dimple in the backside to have plenty of clearance. Half inch deep by one inch wide and 2 inch tall would do it.
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #10573
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
Did anyone try to reform the resonator box instead of removing it? Tried to test fit Sojhinn's Phantom kit which was delivered here yesterday and was thinking on keeping it and just reshaping the plastic with some judicious heat gun and pressure like some people do on their snorklke on the other side of the radiator. It only would need a small dimple in the backside to have plenty of clearance. Half inch deep by one inch wide and 2 inch tall would do it.
Not worth the trouble IMO, the resonator doesnt offer anything significant to warrant keeping it IMO

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #10574
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
At first I thought this was a really dumb idea because all the pressure would escape into the cabin. But then I thought about it and realized that the resonator is on the vacuum side of the compressor. So actually it could be pretty cool to hear the induction sound of the compressor amplified in the cabin. Let us know how it goes.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #10575
BuffDriver

The function of the resonator is actually important to the increase in HP of the car. To simplify and paraphrase: By modifying or eliminating the reflected intake back pulses from the valves opening and closing the airflow in the intake is 'smoothed out' and equalized so that each cylinder gets the same amount of air every time. This makes more HP.

That's on a NA engine and generally does not apply to FI. BUT, there is the sound component that most people mistake for the reason of the resonator. What I plan to do is modify the resonator box as described above and listen to it. Then take it off (drill out the rivets) and cap the opening n listen again and see how I like it (if it makes any difference at all I can hear that is). I also have a decibel meter that I will use. Might be interesting to play recordings for each way on a music/audio editing program to see what changes there were too on its characteristics waveform, etc.

Giving it more thought, testing would have to be for; a) idle, with n without b) driving SC not engaged with n without C) driving WOT with Phantom with n without
Oh yeah, something else to cram into my packed schedule... On second thought
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #10576
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
The function of the resonator is actually important to the increase in HP of the car. To simplify and paraphrase: By modifying or eliminating the reflected intake back pulses from the valves opening and closing the airflow in the intake is 'smoothed out' and equalized so that each cylinder gets the same amount of air every time. This makes more HP.

That's on a NA engine and generally does not apply to FI. BUT, there is the sound component that most people mistake for the reason of the resonator. What I plan to do is modify the resonator box as described above and listen to it. Then take it off (drill out the rivets) and cap the opening n listen again and see how I like it (if it makes any difference at all I can hear that is). I also have a decibel meter that I will use. Might be interesting to play recordings for each way on a music/audio editing program to see what changes there were too on its characteristics waveform, etc.

Give it a shot. I forgot I didn't have the cap since I switched intakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #10577
BuffDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
At first I thought this was a really dumb idea because all the pressure would escape into the cabin. But then I thought about it and realized that the resonator is on the vacuum side of the compressor. So actually it could be pretty cool to hear the induction sound of the compressor amplified in the cabin. Let us know how it goes.
Are you thinking the 'sound generator' instead of the resonator box?

Took that off 2 hours after I bought the car.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #10578
BuffDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Give it a shot. I forgot I didn't have the cap since I switched intakes.

Yah, when I opened the box and laid everything out I noticed... and that lead to the thought of just leaving the resonator installed and modifying it to clear.

3 Odysseys 680mj's Ordered!

Question, the 2 brass tubes on the side of the 5K motor are redundant on the V4, right?

AND, I reached out to Shiv about the tune
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #10579
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Yah, when I opened the box and laid everything out I noticed... and that lead to the thought of just leaving the resonator installed and modifying it to clear.

3 Odysseys 680mj's Ordered!

Question, the 2 brass tubes on the side of the 5K motor are redundant on the V4, right?

Yes and no.

If you want you can run water through the tubes to cool the motor.

Never used it. Never felt it needed it

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #10580
BuffDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Yes and no.

If you want you can run water through the tubes to cool the motor.

Never used it. Never felt it needed it

Seems reasonable. Now if we had a CONTINUOUSLY running variable speed SC system at all RPMs then I would think water cooling would be useful on such a little motor.

With 90 lbs of batterys in the trunk, Ha HA

And take off the AC compressor and install a second alternator!

And install capacitor / battery hybrid system...
Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #10581
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Seems reasonable. Now if we had a CONTINUOUSLY running variable speed SC system at all RPMs then I would think water cooling would be useful on such a little motor.

That was my thought too. Now the controller on the other hand....

Installed Mods:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #10582
WNDSRFR

Quote:
Are you thinking the 'sound generator' instead of the resonator box?

Took that off 2 hours after I bought the car.
What is the resonator box?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #10583
BuffDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
What is the resonator box?
There are two Resonator boxes

The first outer resonator is located BEFORE the air filter and can be easily seen right behind the hood latch connected to the air filter housing. This is the one I am considering reforming (usually removed and capped off when SC is installed). It has a lot to do with modifying heard intake sound first and then whats left of energy pulses that get past the inner resonator box and the sound absorption from the air filter in the intake system.

The second is located under the 90 degree angle of the corrugated air intake tube - AFTER the filter n MAF. But if you replace the OEM tube with one of the aftermarket 'silicone' tubes or a cold air intake or most any other intake mod (super or turbocharger) you eliminate it. This is the one whose reason for existence is modifying the intake pulses so the engine doesn't lose HP.
REAL complex science and you can Google it to learn more.
So sometimes deleting the resonator and replacing with a smooth tube does NOT gain HP (or not as much as theoretically possible... You gain better airflow but lose some on pulse control) which is what the aftermarket parts companies don't want you thinking about!

Last edited by BuffDriver; 09-29-2017 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuffDriver For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-01-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #10584
WNDSRFR

Wow
That's a really deep explanation of what the resonator box does and what it's for. But I think you're completely wrong. I think it's only function is to create a sound to be heard though the "sound tube".
And I see you have the Crawford Power Blocks. That will have to be removed.
Once you get the system installed properly, you will be completely blown away by it's performance vs. price aspect.
It looks like you have the ultimate version of the kit. Take good care of it.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive