follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #43
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
End links highly recommended, might even be necessary as some coilovers relocate the mounting point such that when lowered the stock end links can cause issues being too long. The bar itself is rarely an issue though (unless you have monk3ys unfortunate problem with whiteline) so if that's all that's going in stock links are probably fine in the short term assuming it's fine before the bar.

Stock links won't allow you to split the mounting holes without preloading the bar, gotta pick soft or stiff. Same with Perrin which seems nice for a set it and forget it DD, a waste of money if you want to dial in a setup.

so what would you recommend? i currently have been driving around with stock end links for about a year with coil overs. i figured i needed them but i dont know a lot about suspension
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #44
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I ended up cutting maybe 1" off the Whiteline links and used those, but the Racer X endlinks seem to be the ticket.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (01-17-2020), strat61caster (01-13-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #45
justint5387

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I used the P2M endlinks on eBay and they worked really well. Endlinks are important on this car, was driving the car for awhile on bad endlinks and the difference was huge after fixing.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #46
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
FRS CoG is pretty low, I think back in the early development people tried slamming the car. As a result, one of the impacts was snapping axles.

Available shock travel I think is often overlooked as a pretty key important setup tool. One of the reasons I chose remotes on my MCS was the available travel in the rear + not having to run bump stops.
So did you set yours up with the MCS upper perches then? When I set mine up I measured travel with the perches and without. I found that to use the perches I had to space the damper shaft down significantly and gave up about 10mm of compression travel. Of course with that layout I was without bump stops. Without the upper spring perches, allowing the spring to seat in the Raceseng top hat recess, I gained so much compression travel that I had to use a bump stop just to provide a little cushion before (only about 5mm before, if that even does anything) the control arm contacts the body. In that layout I have ended up spacing the shaft down just 2mm or so to improve droop travel because I couldn't utilize the additional compression travel that I gained by removing the perch anyway. I couldn't find any info about what anyone else had done in terms of installing the rears with or without the included perches when I was setting the car up so I am curious of how you set yours up since you ended up with no bump stops.

Edit: This question may be moot now that I consider that I am not completely familiar with the differences in measurements between the 2wnr (mine) and your 2wr.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #47
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandMoss View Post
So did you set yours up with the MCS upper perches then? When I set mine up I measured travel with the perches and without. I found that to use the perches I had to space the damper shaft down significantly and gave up about 10mm of compression travel. Of course with that layout I was without bump stops. Without the upper spring perches, allowing the spring to seat in the Raceseng top hat recess, I gained so much compression travel that I had to use a bump stop just to provide a little cushion before (only about 5mm before, if that even does anything) the control arm contacts the body. In that layout I have ended up spacing the shaft down just 2mm or so to improve droop travel because I couldn't utilize the additional compression travel that I gained by removing the perch anyway. I couldn't find any info about what anyone else had done in terms of installing the rears with or without the included perches when I was setting the car up so I am curious of how you set yours up since you ended up with no bump stops.

Edit: This question may be moot now that I consider that I am not completely familiar with the differences in measurements between the 2wnr (mine) and your 2wr.
I installed my rears without spring perches. Spring directly to the top hat.

The 2WR have more travel than the 2WNR simply with the relocation of the compression canister outside of the shock body
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #48
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Nobody running upgraded motor mounts?
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #49
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Nobody running upgraded motor mounts?
The transmitted NVH is not worth it for me. If anything upgrade the transmission mount or throw an insert bushing in there. Mine are still both OE
Kyle H. - #89 STX
Old 01-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #50
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have STi mounts plus the whiteline transmission insert thing.

I bought them when I bought the ACE header as a few people reported it could hit the undertray (but mine didn't hit anyway).

No real increase in NVH -- at least not much more vs all the other parts that ruined the car lol.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e1_griego For This Useful Post:
steverife (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #51
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
The transmitted NVH is not worth it for me. If anything upgrade the transmission mount or throw an insert bushing in there. Mine are still both OE
I noticed that ACE recommends aftermarket mounts, so that was/is my concern.... especially coming from STS Honda land where people definitely crack their longtubes.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #52
M0nk3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
I noticed that ACE recommends aftermarket mounts, so that was/is my concern.... especially coming from STS Honda land where people definitely crack their longtubes.
I would generally just make sure you have flex pipe in your exhaust somewhere to alleviate some stress (if it exists).
Kyle H. - #89 STX
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
steverife (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #53
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I bought them when I bought the ACE header as a few people reported it could hit the undertray (but mine didn't hit anyway).

theres where a ballpeen hammer comes in. works like a charm
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #54
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Sure.

Mine didn't hit with stock mounts anyway.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #55
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
STi mounts here. Didn't notice a change in NVH except no longer hit exhaust on the rear subframe. That was the old car, different exhaust. Liked the improved launches so I kept them, and I'm sure they helped minimize the chance of the Ace hitting the undertray... Though mine needed a light massage to be rattle free.

Diff outrigger are the biggest noise increase. Still quieter than 200TW tires on the highway. About even with PSS.
steverife (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:17 PM   #56
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I had STi mounts. Buddy of mine has first gen Perrin mounts and I'm shocked that Perrin changed the design because the first gen mounts were perfect levels of NVH and drivetrain motion control.

I'd recommend doing the rear diff bushings but the diff outrigger bushings are a huge annoyance. Whine on decel and seemingly no actual performance benefit.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
steverife (01-22-2020)