follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Sandy

Drives: 2012 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
clutch helper spring replacement. another way

Having had no luck removing the clutch pedal spring, I decided to try another way.The spring has been replaced and the clutch pedal feels more normal. All very easy, 1. Under the hood, remove the two 12 m nuts on the clutch master cylinder. It will just hang there no problem. A long extension is used. A piece of plastic tape in the socket will keep the nut from falling out after it comes off the bolt. 2. Under the dash on your back,Two electrical plugs...Squeeze and pull. The pin for the clutch rod.and another 12 m bolt are all easy to get to. The pin has a plastic barb on the end you need to squeeze and pull it out Take the bolt out last and ease the complete peddle assembly out. 3. Now on the work bench.Move the peddle up and down and you will see why the clutch felt so strange. Remove the clips and pins .Pry the hole thing out. This is a very strong spring, I replaced it with a much softer one.Got it at a local automatic trans shop. Exact same size.Now put the ends on the new spring clamp it in a vice and squeeze.Put a tie wrap around the ends and pull . Put in the pins and clips.Try the pedal again.Big difference but it does hold the pedal to the upper stop. I think this spring is necessary. If it were not used the heavy pedal could cause clutch bearing to ride on the pressure plate.Not good Especially if you tend to rest your foot on it. Now ease the assembly back into place.Make sure the cleaves is over the peddle as you slide it into place.Put the 12m bolt in . All easy as Cheers Sandy in Nelson NZ
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,573 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I figured the only way to get at that spring on a RHD car would be to remove the whole assembly. Kudos.

The spring, however, is not necessary. The geometry of the linkage is such that the spring puts very little return force on the pedal when released. The master cylinder has a perfectly good return spring. Why on earth would anyone rest their foot on the pedal? No no no...

Now, when you realize the clutch still feels like stirring rice pudding, do this.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Sandy

Drives: 2012 86 GT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
See if you still think the spring does nothing after you take the petal box out and try it with a soft spring.
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

I removed mine long ago. It does plenty but only through the bottom third of the arc. I was referring to the top where the crest of the over-center is very flat.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 AM   #5
sprinter64

Drives: White GT 86 Manual
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good work Sandy, glad you didn't quit on it, the result is a massive difference,
and a clutch you can feel.
I agree with Ultramaroon too, no replacement is needed.
I've been considering the slave cyl mod too but think the better option may be a different pressure plate with shorter springs.
sprinter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprinter64 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter64 View Post
Good work Sandy, glad you didn't quit on it, the result is a massive difference,
and a clutch you can feel.
I agree with Ultramaroon too, no replacement is needed.
I've been considering the slave cyl mod too but think the better option may be a different pressure plate with shorter springs.
The engagement arc is much shorter but full engagement still doesn't happen until very nearly the top of the stroke. I would like it to grab deeper and would be keenly interested in your observations should you decide to explore this option.

It's not rocket science but those who baulk at replacing the slave cylinder would never dream of dropping their transmission.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 08-02-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote