follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
TSW Wheels (Good/Bad/Experiences?)

Looking at possibly ordering some TSW wheels for the car (not the ever popular Nurburging). New to the car modding scene so excuse the naivety.

What type of experiences have people had with these wheels and how to they stand up quality wise, etc.? Any shots of them on an FR-S already?

Thanks for the input
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Interlagos:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393

The Nurburgring wheels are listed in the wheel directory. So far they aren't bad. They are rotary forged so they're as close to mono block as you're gonna get. I've seen some stuff from BMW guys complaining they are soft, but I dunno. I'm using them until the Enkei's I want are available again.
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very good quality for a cast wheel. Better quality finish that cheaper brands. Still heavy ... but they have a few forged wheels now that are VERY good for the price. They have shots of their wheels in the gallery on their site.

I was never big on their styling .. which is subjective of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
Interlagos:

The Nurburgring wheels are listed in the wheel directory. So far they aren't bad. They are rotary forged so they're as close to mono block as you're gonna get. I've seen some stuff from BMW guys complaining they are soft, but I dunno. I'm using them until the Enkei's I want are available again.
Volk's are soft too Such wheels aren't really designed for streets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (07-13-2012), Snoopyalien24 (11-07-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Very good quality for a cast wheel. Better quality finish that cheaper brands. Still heavy ... but they have a few forged wheels now that are VERY good for the price. They have shots of their wheels in the gallery on their site.

I was never big on their styling .. which is subjective of course.

Volk's are soft too Such wheels aren't really designed for streets.
My interlagos are like 18lbs, which is about the same weight as comparable enkei wheels.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm interested in the same. I'm looking at the nurburgring or the trackstar 5

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
"Rotary forged" is more or less the same as the more "advanced" Japanese casting techniques, Enkei MAT for example.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
yoshiharadesign
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I hear wheels are soft, it usually means that wheels are prone to bending. Which goes back to balance of strength/lightweight. For street use, there are just much more variables than the smooth surfaces of a race track. A race wheel structurally reduces material to be lighter but at a sacrifice of load capacity and a reduction of safety margins on strength. A street wheel has to contend with the variations of load in terms of additional cargo and passengers while still contending with the severity of a pothole and irregular surfaces on the road. Responsible street wheel manufacturers usually build in more material to give more strength but at a higher weight.. Unfortunately, there seems to be the notion that the lighter the wheel, the better, almost at a disregard for these other variables that needs to be reviewed. But when the wheel is bent or damaged at a significant replacement or repair cost to a consumer, that is when the merits of a heavier and less expensive wheel exhibits its merits....
yoshiharadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoshiharadesign For This Useful Post:
hotmetal (07-15-2012), MiguelAE86 (11-07-2012), PandaBRZ (07-29-2015)
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Re~Mix

Quote:
Lookin good. '

I'm sticking with 17's so weight really shouldn't be too far off from stock (which is.. need to look up). From an engineering standpoint they seem like quality made wheels. I won't be racing on these so I just want something strong, durable, good looking and not too far off from the stock wheel weight.

I also want to add some tire width, stock tires and wheels make it looks like there is a lot more room for width and tread.

Consensus says there are worse brands I could look at? What else out there is tip-top quality. Don't want to break the bank but i'll spare some cheddar for top of the line.

Last edited by Re~Mix; 07-13-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
[quote=Re~Mix;313455]
Quote:
Interlagos:
QUOTE]

Lookin good. '

I'm sticking with 17's so weight really shouldn't be too far off from stock (which is.. need to look up). From an engineering standpoint they seem like quality made wheels. I won't be racing on these so I just want something strong, durable, good looking and not too far off from the stock wheel weight.

I also want to add some tire width, stock tires and wheels make it looks like there is a lot more room for width and tread.

Consensus says there are worse brands I could look at? What else out there is tip-top quality. Don't want to break the bank but i'll spare some cheddar for top of the line.
So my 18's are 18.8lbs each. they are lighter than the stock wheels which are 21lbs a piece. With the better tires compared to the stock tires the total weight ends up about the same.

However if you're not going to be tracking the car then why worry about weight? Just got for a sturdy good looking wheel, worrying about weight for daily driving shouldn't impact you much as long as they are balanced well and you like them.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Re~Mix

Thanks for the heads up. I just don't want to get too heavy since then the car will start to feel a bit more sluggish etc.

Mainly looking for that spoke look (much like the interlagos) and I can't decide between 17 and 18. Be nice if I could get a look at all the options either in person or at least mocked against the car. Hate the 5/6 spoke look everyone seems to love.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
yoshiharadesign
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I just don't want to get too heavy since then the car will start to feel a bit more sluggish etc.

Mainly looking for that spoke look (much like the interlagos) and I can't decide between 17 and 18. Be nice if I could get a look at all the options either in person or at least mocked against the car. Hate the 5/6 spoke look everyone seems to love.
It will only be sluggish if you add too much tire since usually tires account for half or greater of the total weight for wheel/tire. Most aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock. Its all about balance. you have a more sluggish feel but have the added security of grip if you went with bigger sized tires that produces more grip/resistance which in affects steering feel.
yoshiharadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post

In the fall I'll have some Enkei RP03's on the car. I'm going to get those when they're available again, and then sell my TSW's. So I'll have a car in the area with 5 spoke. :P
The Following User Says Thank You to denkigrve For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Re~Mix

Great, thanks for the info. I may be interested in grabbing the TSW's off of you as I won't be making a final purchase until the fall or winter.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #14
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My interlagos are like 18lbs, which is about the same weight as comparable enkei wheels.
denk, do you have these interlagos on the FRS ? id love to SEE them !!!
thanks
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote