follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #953
mxrindy

Drives: Ford Explorer Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Hard drives anf TV

Hi all, I don't drive a Toyota or Suburu but I thought you might like you know about my experience with hard drives. I have a Ouku model TH8581GA that I believe you all refer to as a ca-fi knock off. I've had mine installed for about a month and have no real complaints but I have found due to lack of the systems documentation it has a real learning curve.

Anyway I have a 500 GB My Passport drive formatted to Fat32 connected to the front USB connector and it works great. I have several gigs of movies, tv shows and about 600 mp3s on it. I originally tried a 1 TB My Passport but even after partitioning the drive to 3 partitions smaller then 500GB and formatting it as Fat32 it still did not work on either usb port. The 500 GB drive worked 1st try after reformatting.

Now I have a question, if anyone else has investigated the Extra settings.
Under TV settings you can select pal, ntsc, secam etc. You can also select analog and different styles of digital. So has anyone played wiyh these settings? Does the unit actually have configurable cirguitry to allow switching from analog to digital?
mxrindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #954
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrindy View Post
Anyway I have a 500 GB My Passport drive formatted to Fat32 connected to the front USB connector and it works great. I have several gigs of movies, tv shows and about 600 mp3s on it. I originally tried a 1 TB My Passport but even after partitioning the drive to 3 partitions smaller then 500GB and formatting it as Fat32 it still did not work on either usb port. The 500 GB drive worked 1st try after reformatting.
Have responded to you on this point on xda-developers.
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #955
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Any of you chaps got a link to a reversing camera compatible with the T7019A?

I've been looking at the Tradesolutions HK website but can't find one that says it is for the T7019A.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #956
Trap63

Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Any of you chaps got a link to a reversing camera compatible with the T7019A?

I've been looking at the Tradesolutions HK website but can't find one that says it is for the T7019A.

Nzer, I bought this one http://www.ebay.it/itm/360633507954?...84.m1423.l2649

fits very well and operates correctly. Don't forget to wire "reverse" on HU harness (brown) with pink wire coming from main car harness beside fuse area (pin No. 5). You need 50 cm of adding cable to solder or to join.
You can wire "reverse" to 12+ reargear light when rear gear splits ON.
Main power cord of camera must be wired to red (+) of HU harness (where is there the fuse), and ground (-) obviously.

WARNING: CHECK WIRING SCHEMA BEFORE OPERATING, THESE NOTES REFER TO BRZ WIRING SCHEMA.
mainly for REAR camera, to operate it needs 12v+ on "HU REVERSE" coming from "rear" gear circuit to start ON DISPLAY ,
BUT CAMERA STILL NEEDS AT STARTUP OF HU TO BE RECOGNIZED BY THE SAME, THEREFORE POWERED THRU POWER CORD DULY WIRED TOO.

Last edited by Trap63; 07-19-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #957
GreenPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
... "reverse" on HU harness (brown) with pink wire coming from main car harness beside fuse area (pin No. 5).

Main power cord of camera must be wired to red (+) of HU harness (where is there the fuse), and ground (-) obviously.
Be careful when talking about wiring colours/pins. I believe that these can/do differ depending on whether you're talking about a FR-S/86 or BRZ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
nzer (07-19-2013), Trap63 (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #958
Trap63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPants View Post
Be careful when talking about wiring colours/pins. I believe that these can/do differ depending on whether you're talking about a FR-S/86 or BRZ.
That's right....I am detailing with reference to BRZ wiring schema. Upper post revised.

Last edited by Trap63; 07-19-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trap63 For This Useful Post:
nzer (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #959
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
Nzer, I bought this one http://www.ebay.it/itm/360633507954?...84.m1423.l2649

fits very well and operates correctly. Don't forget to wire "reverse" on HU harness (brown) with pink wire coming from main car harness beside fuse area (pin No. 5). You need 50 cm of adding cable to solder or to join.
You can wire "reverse" to 12+ reargear light when rear gear splits ON.

WARNING: CHECK WIRING SCHEMA BEFORE OPERATING, THESE NOTES REFER TO BRZ WIRING SCHEMA.
mainly for REAR camera, to operate it needs 12v+ on "HU REVERSE" coming from "rear" gear circuit to start ON DISPLAY ,
BUT CAMERA STILL NEEDS AT STARTUP OF HU TO BE RECOGNIZED BY THE SAME, THEREFORE POWERED THRU POWER CORD DULY WIRED TOO.
Did you mount on license plate or little cut out beside where license plate light is?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #960
nzer

@Trap63 and @GreenPants I found this "universal Toyota" reverse camera on the Tradesolutions HK site.

Assume it will be compatible with the "Toyota universal" android T7019A. Says it uses NTSC. @GreenPants will this be an issue if I have other settings as PAL. Not sure that I have to but was just thinking of compatibility here.

What do you reckon?
http://www.tradesolution.hk/e/ptxweb...oduct/725.html
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #961
Trap63

Quote:
Did you mount on license plate or little cut out beside where license plate light is?
I mount it in the same position of genuine Subaru, drilling a hole of 18mm. Tmw morning I'll post a picture. To do this you must remove inside rear trunk panel [i don't remember exactly no of clips, maybe 8 or 9), remove plate plugs and fast plug of auxiliary key (there is an iron cable as bike brakes pad).It's easy more than explain, believe me!

Sent by iPhone with Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #962
Trap63

Quote:
@Trap63 and @GreenPants I found this "universal Toyota" reverse camera on the Tradesolutions HK site.

Assume it will be compatible with the "Toyota universal" android T7019A. Says it uses NTSC. @GreenPants will this be an issue if I have other settings as PAL. Not sure that I have to but was just thinking of compatibility here.

What do you reckon?
So, I bought NTSC compliant mode and operate correctly as I believe that HU operates upon this standard, notwithstanding we run on PAL here in Europe.
By the way the camera you link is fitting:
View angel:170 Degree
TV System:NTSC

and it's OK, but it's not so nice to see.
Anyway you must plug the power cord and RCA wire inside (beside) trunk panel, so you must anyway remove trunk fascia.

Here you find the best procedure to follow!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32452
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17020
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #963
GreenPants

Quote:

What do you reckon?
From what I have read, the reversing camera probably completely bypasses the OS and is linked directly to the screen when reversing. This is why the reversing camera works so quickly, even while the rest of the OS is booting. I doubt that any setting changes you make inside the OS would impact how a reversing camera operates.

I also don't think the kind of camera you get will make much difference (aside from whether the unit expects/can handle PAL or NTSC inputs). At the end of the day it's just a standard composite video signal that goes into the headunit.

The only other area where a 'Toyota (or any other brand) compatible' camera could make a difference is in how it physically mounts - but given that people are drilling their own holes and not trying to fit an existing one, I doubt that it really matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (07-19-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #964
nzer

Here's my T7019A installed back in my car with the LED change done thanks to @Tech

The LEDs are slightly more red than some of the orange of the dash but that is a much better option than a too bright orange, especially as there's quite a bit of red with the door LEDs, the passenger seatbelt LED and the hazard light switch.

A zillion times better - but looking at the DIY here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42023 I'm glad I had a mate able to do it for me!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #965
nzer

OK @GreenPants as I've now got my unit back in my car I can have a crack at the solutions/fixes you have found but have a couple of questions.

Remember in IT how they said you need to aim for the lowest common denominator - well, in the case of android, that's me, so these questions are really basic but don't want to brick my unit!

1. Startup logo - awesome - have the red TRD one in there. Where do I copy the files to so that they are there without needing the USB? You mentioned it in a post a while ago but I can;t find it.

2. Boot animation - I have renamed the file bootanimation.zip and it is on the root directory of a USB. I can find a directory called "data" under file manager but can't find one called "local" off that - do I just copy into the "data" directory? I note it is empty at the moment.

That's all at this stage!
Old 07-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #966
GreenPants

Quote:
OK @GreenPants as I've now got my unit back in my car I can have a crack at the solutions/fixes you have found but have a couple of questions.

Remember in IT how they said you need to aim for the lowest common denominator - well, in the case of android, that's me, so these questions are really basic but don't want to brick my unit!

1. Startup logo - awesome - have the red TRD one in there. Where do I copy the files to so that they are there without needing the USB? You mentioned it in a post a while ago but I can;t find it.

2. Boot animation - I have renamed the file bootanimation.zip and it is on the root directory of a USB. I can find a directory called "data" under file manager but can't find one called "local" off that - do I just copy into the "data" directory? I note it is empty at the moment.

That's all at this stage!
Ok, I'm going to assume that from my instructions on installing the google maps API files you got the hang of copy and pasting files around.

To resolve both issues you need to have root (superuser) rights. In ES File Manager, select menu, and select 'Root Explorer' which is located under the 'Tools' section. At this stage ES Explorer will be given superuser rights. From the pop-up menu select 'Mount R/W' and click on the RW button next to '/system'. Just remember to switch it back to RO after you finish tinkering. (RO = Read Only, RW = Read/Write)

Now copy the logos from your USB stick to the /system/etc/logo directory (ie, keep on clicking on the up icon until it no longer changes, and then click on 'system', then 'etc', andd finally 'logo').

While the ES File Manager app has root rights, you should also be able to see the contents of /data now (that's one mistake I did make - it turns out you do need root on this device to gain access to this directory). Copy bootanimation.zip to the 'local' directory which should now be visible in the directory.

That's the general 'point-your-nose-in-the-right-direction' instructions. Let me know if that still has your head spinning and I'll sit down and write up a 'push-this-button-now' level guide.

PS, in case people want to copy to/from other devices:
  • USB = /sdcard/udisk
  • MicroSD = /sdcard/extsd

It is confusing that both of these directories are under the /sdcard directory. The /sdcard directory was historically the main storage area and just happened to be on a SD Card on initial Android devices. This not necessarily the case on newer devices, but the convention of calling the main storage area /sdcard has stuck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
mrlizard (10-25-2013), nzer (07-21-2013)