follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #113
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirisvirus View Post
man you really did an AMAZING JOB!
Thank you sir!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #114
Acree

Acree's BRZ - The product of boredom and an EE degree

JDL UEL Header Install

After a brief couple of days of contemplating selling the JDL UEL header or installing it, I just said screw it. Friday night, I headed over to @h4nh's house to install it. We had an issue with the rear o2 being seized in the stock header. There was a surprising amount of corrosion on the threads for a car with only 26k miles and 2 track days. We finally got it on and checked for exhaust leaks. Thankfully, it sounded like all the gaskets sealed correctly. We reused the stock head to manifold gaskets without issue.

The current combination on the car is stock tune, JDL UEL catless header, stock overpipe, ARK Catless Test Pipe, and ARK Grip Exhaust.

The Good: The JDL header has seemed to open the car up significantly. It has some noticeable increase in the torque dip and top end. The problem is I'm still slightly irritated with the torque dip and lag in throttle response. I'm still on the stock tune. I'll be placing an order for the OFT tomorrow.

This exact exhaust combination has me torn. As far as driving comfort and civility in the cabin, it's a fantastic combo! The helmholtz chambers on the ARK pieces really seem to do their job. If I'm on the highway cruising at 75, you literally cannot hear the exhaust with the radio off. It's completely silent which is quite surprising. If you downshift and bury your foot in the throttle, the exhaust screams. It's the best of both worlds. Downshift throttle blips result in a fantastic bark.

The Bad: The combo seems raspy at all RPM values under high load. Honestly, this was something I was half expecting but optimistically hoping I could avoid. Some people like or tolerate rasp. For me personally, it's not acceptable on any car. I think it makes the car sound like a POS. I'm going to have to figure out a solution. I love the exhaust and I love header. I believe the problem is the lack of an inline resonated portion anywhere in the exhaust. The helmholtz chambers do a great job of isolating harmonics and preventing drone, but they do not serve the same purpose as an inline resonator chamber would serve. I think I'm going to purchase one off of Summit and have an exhaust shop weld it into the ARK Test pipe. Obviously I'll keep the interior diameter the same throughout, but leaving the exhaust as it currently sits is not an option. At the same time, I want to avoid adding a HFC. An inline resonator chamber seems like the best option.

Last edited by Acree; 04-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Acree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
akahenry (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #115
h4nh

Drives: Turbo BRZ & Supercharged E90 M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
JDL UEL Header Install

After a brief couple of days of contemplating selling the JDL UEL header or installing it, I just said screw it. Friday night, I headed over to @h4nh's house to install it. We had an issue with the rear o2 being seized in the stock header. There was a surprising amount of corrosion on the threads for a car with only 26k miles and 2 track days. We finally got it on and checked for exhaust leaks. Thankfully, it sounded like all the gaskets sealed correctly. We reused the stock head to manifold gaskets without issue.

The current combination on the car is stock tune, JDL UEL catless header, stock overpipe, ARK Catless Test Pipe, and ARK Grip Exhaust.

The Good: The JDL header has seemed to open the car up significantly. It has some noticeable increase in the torque dip and top end. The problem is I'm still slightly irritated with the torque dip and lag in throttle response. I'm still on the stock tune. I'll be placing an order for the OFT tomorrow.

This exact exhaust combination has me torn. As far as driving comfort and civility in the cabin, it's a fantastic combo! The helmholtz chambers on the ARK pieces really seem to do their job. If I'm on the highway cruising at 75, you literally cannot hear the exhaust with the radio off. It's completely silent which is quite surprising. If you downshift and bury your foot in the throttle, the exhaust screams. It's the best of both worlds. Downshift throttle blips result in a fantastic bark.

The Bad: The combo seems raspy at all RPM values under high load. Honestly, this was something I was half expecting but optimistically hoping I could avoid. Some people like or tolerate rasp. For me personally, it's not acceptable on any car. I think it makes the car sound like a POS. I'm going to have to figure out a solution. I love the exhaust and I love header. I believe the problem is the lack of an inline resonated portion anywhere in the exhaust. The helmholtz chambers do a great job of isolating harmonics and preventing done, but they do not serve the same purpose as an inline resonator chamber would serve. I think I'm going to purchase one off of Summit and have an exhaust shop weld it into the ARK Test pipe. Obviously I'll keep the interior diameter the same throughout, but leaving the exhaust as it currently sits is not an option. At the same time, I want to avoid adding a HFC. An inline resonator chamber seems like the best option.
I think it sounds good at low rpm but when you hit the revs up it starts to rasp. Just use my oem headers and wait for v8 lol
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #116
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
How was the Stainless shift knob during the summer? Hot to touch? I'm liking the Raceseng, but just wondering since my wife drives the car also and that will be an issue if it heats up pretty good to the touch.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #117
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
JDL UEL Header Install

The Bad: The combo seems raspy at all RPM values under high load. Honestly, this was something I was half expecting but optimistically hoping I could avoid. Some people like or tolerate rasp. For me personally, it's not acceptable on any car. I think it makes the car sound like a POS. I'm going to have to figure out a solution. I love the exhaust and I love header. I believe the problem is the lack of an inline resonated portion anywhere in the exhaust. The helmholtz chambers do a great job of isolating harmonics and preventing done, but they do not serve the same purpose as an inline resonator chamber would serve. I think I'm going to purchase one off of Summit and have an exhaust shop weld it into the ARK Test pipe. Obviously I'll keep the interior diameter the same throughout, but leaving the exhaust as it currently sits is not an option. At the same time, I want to avoid adding a HFC. An inline resonator chamber seems like the best option.
sound clips pls.
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #118
Acree

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
I think it sounds good at low rpm but when you hit the revs up it starts to rasp. Just use my oem headers and wait for v8 lol
The OFT and the header will retain resale value pretty damn well I think, especially since it's coated. I'll keep em until I'm ready to pull the trigger. I like the sound, just need to get rid of the rasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
How was the Stainless shift knob during the summer? Hot to touch? I'm liking the Raceseng, but just wondering since my wife drives the car also and that will be an issue if it heats up pretty good to the touch.
Honestly, this is the 3rd stainless knob I've had in my cars. I don't think it gets too hot to handle, but that all depends on your tolerance. There were plenty of days last summer where I definitely wouldn't rest my hand on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
sound clips pls.
I'll try to do that soon. All I have is a 5S camera, so the sound quality won't be great.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #119
Acree

@shiv@vishnu OFT Order placed!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #120
xDJ DUBx
Lurker

Drives: '14 Rocket Bunny Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xDJ DUBx Send a message via Yahoo to xDJ DUBx
Just installed JDL UEL, over pipe, ARK test pipe and DT-S catback this past weekend on mine haha, I'm in loveeee
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #121
Acree

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDJ DUBx View Post
Just installed JDL UEL, over pipe, ARK test pipe and DT-S catback this past weekend on mine haha, I'm in loveeee
Do you have any rasp with the DT-S?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #122
Acree

I just flashed the Stage 2 UEL 93 oct tune from the OFT. First impressions:

The Following User Says Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
akahenry (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #123
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I just flashed the Stage 2 UEL 93 oct tune from the OFT. First impressions:

No dyno yet?
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #124
xDJ DUBx
Lurker

Drives: '14 Rocket Bunny Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to xDJ DUBx Send a message via Yahoo to xDJ DUBx
Quote:
Do you have any rasp with the DT-S?
No sir.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #125
Acree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
No dyno yet?
Nope. And probably won't.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #126
Brzzee

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ WRBP Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift&Drag View Post
Wow that is some pretty exciting stuff right there!!! Yes I agree, the portion of my project involving the factory electronics should be fun. If it gives me too much of a headache I will simply eliminate the b!*#H and go old school It is unfortunate how "new" vehicles have an abundance of sensors and controls. Keep me updated with your progress!

I'm actually looking to go with STi/EVO (Brembos). Haven't decided yet because I want dual rear brake calipers. Seems like we have the same taste because I was leaning towards the Chargespeed front lip if I stayed with my BRZ front bumper but that sucker is $$$! lol
@Drift&Drag have u found a source for a rear dual caliper set-up?
Thanks for the updates on your build.
Brzzee is offline   Reply With Quote