follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #5055
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift996 View Post
From my limited testing, it seems the OEM radiator does a stout job. The only reason I upgraded was because I was pulling the bumper and I knew over time with tracking the plastic end tanks would go. Oh and I got a steal on the radiator. I don't think it's a priority.

I ran the Perrin cold-air and it helped a little on IAT1s but never got data on IAT2s. The perrin extension makes the intake induction really long but it felt great on mine. I was considering modifying my AEM box, I think it can be done easily and it keeps the air sealed.

The BRZ runs like an arctic train compared to my CTS-V. My V feels like Africa after idling for 10 seconds from a cold start.

Lol same with my c7 z51 vette. That engine bay gets really hot. I feel like so far my frs is staying quite cool considering it's hot as hell in Texas right now. Only thing I may get eventually is an oil cooler.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #5056
Ron

Drives: Mr2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Not sure if you're trolling or not but I don't think there has been even 1 documented issue of the air filter placement with this setup. I know I have put a few thousand miles on my setup already with the stock box and filter, and even in the Texas heat, have not had any issues.

If you scroll up you will notice open elements with no air box. Air box was meant for a na car as yours was designed. Twinscrew compressors with 70mm tb suck really hard. No problems meaning compressor issues? 0 heat means 0 heat. Not doubting or down talking your setup or anyone's else's as they are fantastic. It's just that one could be loosing power while raising outlet temps.

Xjohnx that is exactly what I mean. 0 heat transfer from the engine bay. Not here to troll, just help if I can.

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 AM   #5057
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
If you scroll up you will notice open elements with no air box. Air box was meant for a na car as yours was designed. Twinscrew compressors with 70mm tb suck really hard. No problems meaning compressor issues? 0 heat means 0 heat. Not doubting or down talking your setup or anyone's else's as they are fantastic. It's just that one could be loosing power while raising outlet temps.

Xjohnx that is exactly what I mean. 0 heat transfer from the engine bay. Not here to troll, just help if I can.

Ron
99% of innovate owners already utilize a cold air intake. Wether it be a stock airbox (yes it is a cold air intake) or a Perrin intake. Due to the Supercharger inlet location there is a bit of piping that needs to be in the engine bay. Inlet temps on my setup was within 2 deg of Ambient when I ran the stock airbox.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #5058
Ron

Drives: Mr2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
99% of innovate owners already utilize a cold air intake. Wether it be a stock airbox (yes it is a cold air intake) or a Perrin intake. Due to the Supercharger inlet location there is a bit of piping that needs to be in the engine bay. Inlet temps on my setup was within 2 deg of Ambient when I ran the stock airbox.

Ok excellent news! Is 70mm the biggest tb used on this kit?

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #5059
FT86RGV

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just purchased this kit. Will probably install it Aug. 3. I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now and I have just one question. It seems a catch can is a must with this kit so I was wondering what does everyone recommend. Everyone here seems to have the radium dual cans but I would like to know if there is anything a little more budget friendly that will get the job done. Also just for some confirmation a catch can for the pcv line should be enough right?
FT86RGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #5060
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86RGV View Post
Just purchased this kit. Will probably install it Aug. 3. I've been keeping up with this thread for a while now and I have just one question. It seems a catch can is a must with this kit so I was wondering what does everyone recommend. Everyone here seems to have the radium dual cans but I would like to know if there is anything a little more budget friendly that will get the job done. Also just for some confirmation a catch can for the pcv line should be enough right?
When I pulled my intake, all of the oil came from the PCV line. So any catch can that can reach the PCV line should work fine.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #5061
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Save money by buying one for pvc side only and not the intake side. There's a thread on here somewhere for a DIY catch can for $20 but not sure I'd do it.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #5062
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Check out my build page in my sig for a cost friendly, very good catch can.
The Following User Says Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #5063
olorin

Drives: GBS Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I got the dual catch can kit from radium. Bit over kill since I barely have 4k on the car over 2 years-- but it is quite nice.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #5064
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Well I trashed my first belt the other day. Showing someone how the launch control worked and not even 2 minutes down the road I heard the belt, partially shredded, knocking around inside my engine bay. It's hard to believe why launching at only 3k RPMs would do that to a belt. I think I've only used LC like 3 times. Next time I might try a slightly smaller belt.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #5065
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I trashed my first belt the other day. Showing someone how the launch control worked and not even 2 minutes down the road I heard the belt, partially shredded, knocking around inside my engine bay. It's hard to believe why launching at only 3k RPMs would do that to a belt. I think I've only used LC like 3 times. Next time I might try a slightly smaller belt.
I'm guessing you are running the 69 or 70mm pulley? if so, are you still using the same size belt? I would recommend to go with the Gates K061010 belt, it's 5mm smaller.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #5066
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I never use launch control because of how violent it makes the entire car shake. I much prefer the smooth steady launch control on my C7 compared to the bouncy LC with ecutek. Anytime I launch my frs I just hold the rpms where I want them myself.
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CK_Bladesmith For This Useful Post:
Dustin (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #5067
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEm View Post
I'm guessing you are running the 69 or 70mm pulley? if so, are you still using the same size belt? I would recommend to go with the Gates K061010 belt, it's 5mm smaller.
Yeah 70mm. I'll try that one if his one fails.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #5068
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Weird...I'm on 20k+ miles with the same belt, TONS of launch control, FFS...it really shouldn't cause it to shred. Worst case it may slip just a little. Maybe it was just weakened from an alignment issue. Check the alternator bolt that you put the extra pulley through. I've seen those out of alignment a couple of times now due to installation issues.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Dustin (07-27-2014)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.