follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #575
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OK, bring in the next recalled car in.

humfrz

Seriously though. We’ve seen the picture of Toyota shops and their work areas. This is the shop I work in, I apologize about they floors, cleaner guy probably wasn’t around that day. We roll through work, all bays full all day long. Flat rate shop that breaks monthly records regularly.

There’s supposed to be a difference between the dealer and Jimmy’s Muffler Express. Have some pride in what you do and kick ass. That’s the job.

Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-30-2019), Teseo (03-31-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #576
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post

Seriously though. We’ve seen the picture of Toyota shops and their work areas. This is the shop I work in, I apologize about they floors, cleaner guy probably wasn’t around that day. We roll through work, all bays full all day long. Flat rate shop that breaks monthly records regularly.

There’s supposed to be a difference between the dealer and Jimmy’s Muffler Express. Have some pride in what you do and kick ass. That’s the job.

Good looking shop!

I noticed on the instructions and pictures someone posted, that it shows a calking gun being used to apply the sealant. As you know, and anyone else that has used a large calking gun, they are hard to control the flow of the material.

I would suggest that the techs be supplied with a more precise application instrument, maybe with a "guide" at the tip -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
maslin (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #577
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good looking shop!

I noticed on the instructions and pictures someone posted, that it shows a calking gun being used to apply the sealant. As you know, and anyone else that has used a large calking gun, they are hard to control the flow of the material.

I would suggest that the techs be supplied with a more precise application instrument, maybe with a "guide" at the tip -

humfrz
Our sealant comes in a smaller tube, fits perfectly in the gun designed for it. The gun is $120 I used a caulking gun for 14 years, we all got the real guns for Christmas from our service manager.

The smaller tube stuck in a caulking gun never did me wrong. An actual caulk sized tube in a caulking gun would be even better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Gunman (03-30-2019), humfrz (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #578
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I have another idea for applying the sealant.

It appears to be more of an art than a mechanical thing.

So, since women are usually more detailed and artistic, have one of the female employees (receptionist, secretary, parts clerk, billing) come out and apply the sealant. Just show her the pictures and stand back. Pay her $20 for getting her hands dirty.

OK, I'm done (for the time being) being a arm chair mechanic. -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #579
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I had no problem controlling flow coming out of my Home Depot special caulk gun. You just have to care about what you are doing. Not saying there isn’t a better caulk gun though. I will say it is a hell of a lot easier to control the application with a caulk gun than it is with a standard squeeze tube.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-30-2019), maslin (03-30-2019), RZNT4R (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #580
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's easy to lay down a neat bead with an ordinary caulking gun, because it's not the gun that cuts the tip of the applicator, it's the user.

I don't cut the tips and work with the small orifice at the very tip, so my stuff comes out looking neat. This is an Audi Q5 2.0 TSI (CAEB) on which I did the head last summer (it was back last week with a seized steering u-joint). That little bead is all that squeezed out using a big caulking gun.

RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #581
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
It's easy to lay down a neat bead with an ordinary caulking gun, because it's not the gun that cuts the tip of the applicator, it's the user.
Would you give your engine up to anyone with the credentials?

If not, what do you estimate to be the percentage of your peers whose work you generally deem sub par? I'm not necessarily talking about your coworkers. You may work with an exceptional team.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:53 PM   #582
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
I work in a rather... specific... environment. A small shop, we're just 4 people, one service advisor, the boss who does fast volume work, tires and a bit of body work, one low skill guy for the low skill jobs and I'm the main, handling the whole spectrum, from brakes to engine work. It's hard for me to trust my engine to anyone else on my team because I'm the only member of the team that does that

[An overly long tirade about finding good workers was here but has been deleted]

From what I've seen, felt and heard from the grapevine, let's just say I'd be more comfortable doing my valve shims myself.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-30-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 AM   #583
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
[An overly long tirade about finding good workers was here but has been deleted]

From what I've seen, felt and heard from the grapevine, let's just say I'd be more comfortable doing my valve shims myself.
I hear ya.

We have 10 guys, 2 are under two years in a shop, the rest of us are experienced. I’d trust myself and one other guy no questions asked. One other guy depending on his attitude for the day.

Our DMS flags any car that comes back within 90 days. Two guys earn the vast majority of our 90 days. They both have a lot of years in the shop. The same guys work 8:30-5:00 and still flag reasonable hours, lots of corners cut.

We’re on a strip with 4 other dealerships, lots of very young guys at the other shops. Every time my truck goes to Toyota I get a page full of no problem found. Super frustrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-31-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #584
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Found more. Subaru will trade you out of a BRZ for a discount on an ‘18 or ‘19.

Also this note in the dealer letter, on the Toyota side.

That’s all the updates I can find within the last 6 weeks or so. The updates from 3/27 are significant, hopefully the failures after repair will fall off from this point on.
is there anything like this subaru trade out for toyota?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #585
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Had the recall done. I just dropped off the car at the dealer. The foreman thinks it's maybe an exhaust rattle. Hopefully so.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #586
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
is there anything like this subaru trade out for toyota?
Nothing listed on the NHTSA site. It appears to be an extension of Subarus Guaranteed Trade In Program, with an extra incentive for the inconvenience.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-6375.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-6956.pdf

Also found this in the Toyota FAQ

"Q7: My vehicle has been modified with aftermarket (non-factory) components and my dealer says I should remove the modifications before the Safety Recall can be performed; is there anything I can do about this?

A7: Some vehicles may be equipped with non-Toyota-approved parts and/or accessories that make it difficult or impossible for a dealer to install the remedy parts for this Safety Recall. Toyota does not recommend modifying vehicles and cannot evaluate how any aftermarket, non-Toyota-approved parts could affect a vehicle’s operation. That is why it is best to restore your vehicle to its original condition prior to the remedy being performed. Notwithstanding Toyota’s recommendation, some dealers may be willing to perform the Safety Recall remedy with the vehicle in its current modified condition. If your dealer is willing to do so, you may be charged for labor or parts costs not otherwise covered by Toyota's Safety Recall remedy. Toyota provides the specific remedy parts kit, necessary engine fluids and sealant, and covers 12.2 – 13.8 hours (depending upon vehicle configuration) of dealer labor expenses. You must pay any additional charges for parts or labor by the dealer which are the result of the vehicle’s non-Toyota-approved modifications. Toyota is not responsible for later performance problems your vehicle may have that are the result of the nonToyota-approved vehicle modifications."

That last line is a CYA statement for sure. You agreed to this, sorry your engine blew up, but we told you.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #587
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Dealer keeps calling. I keep putting it off.

Curious what has better odds of failing the recall or the fix?
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (04-02-2019), venturaII (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #588
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Major Update on my Vehicle.

Second dealership got the okay from Subaru of New England to repair my car under warranty for TSB 02/151-14R and when dropping my oil pan noticed there was a lot of RTV Sealant. They also asked if I had my headgaskets replaced when they did the recall in which I did. So now the second dealership who was not aware of any of this work has to reach back out to his reps in regards to this situation now. They are stating that the RTV may be causing oil starvation and now they are looking at a bigger issue than the TSB they were told to repair under.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
Gunman (04-02-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue