follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #29
Shedd22
BAMF

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
17 years ago you would have been correct.

Doesn't matter. You're 40.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #30
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
"I'm 39" -- Jack Benny

Old 11-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,535 Times in 18,933 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Dude where did you grow up? In a cave?
Just joking and don't listen to half these guys whose whole car "expertise" comes from anime, movies and video games. Many may in reality know less than you do but think they know more then everybody since they feel Fast and Furious and Initial D are instructional videos.
At least you have the balls to stand up and honestly say "I don't know please guide me"
I'm a fucking pro.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm a fucking pro.
You are? Could I have seen you in something?
Ultramaroon (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #33
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
You are? Could I have seen you in something?
Autobiographical work. Almost a documentary.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #34
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Would you kids quit messin' around?
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Would you kids quit messin' around?
Ultramaroon (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #36
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You know outta curiosity since we're on this topic what would happen if let's say you're tuned for 93 gas and someone borrows your car and takes it to the store to buy some idk oreo cookies and decides to be nice and put gas in your car....but they put 87. What would happen? In my case I got a tune for 93 gas.

I ask this because a friend of mine got his STi tuned and his dad took his car out and put the wrong gas in it and he flipped his shit on his dad. But as of today he's still driving it, so I'm a little lost as to how much damage it would cause. I don't remember how much boost he was running at the time or how aggressive the tune was but I don't think I've seen my buddy that pissed off in a while.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #37
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
17 years ago you would have been correct.
You're the same age as me @Tcoat
Old 11-14-2015, 02:20 PM   #38
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
You know outta curiosity since we're on this topic what would happen if let's say you're tuned for 93 gas and someone borrows your car and takes it to the store to buy some idk oreo cookies and decides to be nice and put gas in your car....but they put 87. What would happen? In my case I got a tune for 93 gas.

I ask this because a friend of mine got his STi tuned and his dad took his car out and put the wrong gas in it and he flipped his shit on his dad. But as of today he's still driving it, so I'm a little lost as to how much damage it would cause. I don't remember how much boost he was running at the time or how aggressive the tune was but I don't think I've seen my buddy that pissed off in a while.
+1

I understand, out of the box, the tune intentionally seeks out a little knock and backs off from there. Is it possible to tweak the tune so it can't adapt to lower octane? Would a reputable tuner ever do that?
Old 11-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #39
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post

Hmmmm. If it had been my father, I would have thanked him for the kind gesture of putting gas in MY car, then kept my disrespectful, ungrateful mouth shut about how mad I was that Dad didn't put in the gas I wanted. Sheeesh... Christmas must be real fun in that house.

I know.. I'm being a snot. But seriously... for your friend to get that torqued with his father over putting some lower octane gas in once is .. well... not real understandable, at least not to me.

Doubtful any harm was done, and if your friend is THAT worried about, nothing says he has to run the car on that gas. Dad made an honest mistake. Drain the tank and put in the gas you desire. Haven't we all pretended at sometime to like a gift we really hated or appreciate a gesture we really wished someone hadn't done?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #40
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Hmmmm. If it had been my father, I would have thanked him for the kind gesture of putting gas in MY car, then kept my disrespectful, ungrateful mouth shut about how mad I was that Dad didn't put in the gas I wanted. Sheeesh... Christmas must be real fun in that house.

I know.. I'm being a snot. But seriously... for your friend to get that torqued with his father over putting some lower octane gas in once is .. well... not real understandable, at least not to me.

Doubtful any harm was done, and if your friend is THAT worried about, nothing says he has to run the car on that gas. Dad made an honest mistake. Drain the tank and put in the gas you desire. Haven't we all pretended at sometime to like a gift we really hated or appreciate a gesture we really wished someone hadn't done?

I would ask my friend but well, he didn't wanna find out and just drained the tank and saved it for when his family's car was low on gas and filled it up with whatever he pulled from the tank.

Lol let's not jump to conclusions, I can see why he was upset but at the same time what if something tragic actually did happen to his car? But I don't really wanna stay on that specific scenario, what I'm really curious about is, if you had a custom tune for 93 and 87 was SOMEHOW put into your car is there a fail safe that would save/protect your car? I know it's user error and all but come on our damn traction control and stability control saves our asses too, at least most of us when we have a little too much fun.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #41
MuseChaser

First, thanks for not jumping all over me for being a little pissy. Some things just get to me; I appreciate you not getting bugged.

I've never tuned a car, just maintained them and upgraded a few suspensions over the years, so I really don't have enough experience to give you a good answer. However, all of the cars I currently drive "require" minimum 91 and suggest 93. I have two close friends who are both in-demand (meaning, the Mercedes dealership occasionally calls THEM when they can't figure somthing out) expert mechanics, and one of them never worries about the octane rating; he burns nothing but 87 no matter what he's driving. I tease him about it, but he says the difference in gas mileage isn't worth the difference in price, and that the electronics on modern fuel systems are more than up to the task of dealing with the lower octane.

Extrapolating on that, it would seem that burning lower-than-ideal gas in a car tuned for 93 would result in poorer performance, but I don't think it would cause damage. Of course, the absolute truth is that I don't know.

Thanks again..

Barry

Tags
brz fuel type 93 91