follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #183
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
Does the moto-east flex fuel kit have a flex fuel tune? The website was devoid of information about that.

I reviewed the delicious tuning flex fuel kit, and their kit includes a flex fuel tune. So I was wondering about the differences between the delicious kit and the moto-east kit.

Certainly having a tune that changes automatically based on the ethanol content in the system seems to be pretty important to have.
Tune update is free for existing customers. But the tune itself is a whole other product and if you haven't gotten a tune from us then you'll need to buy that. EcuTek license/cable is required as that has the flex fuel capability along with other custom maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Moto east flex kit come with tune included as well i believe.

with both kits you will still need ecutek ecu flash licience and if you cannot get to ecutek tuner you will also need a ecutek cable kit to flash the tune.

The main difference between the mot east kit and the delicious kit is ethanol display. mot east has separate display, but the delicious kit just has a Bluetooth module and you need to use a phone tablet or an android head unit and their app to display the E% in car. The dispaly is not essential just for info and peace of mind that sensor is working, their is a separate connection to ecu via the rear 02 sensor or the evap sensor so the ecu knows the e% .
We have a standalone display, though we offer a budget kit that removes that and you can log the output via custom map and get it via cheap windows tablet if need be. Another difference is line routing. There are no bends in our flex fuel lines. We use the precise angles on the fittings to ensure that the lines are totally straight. This prevents any kinking and maximizes flow. We also only offer the stainless braided lines and CNC machined fittings. No plastic/vinyl option at this time. We also offer both rear o2 and evap options. The latter allows for both wideband logging and flex fuel, and also retains closed loop control using the rear o2 which can have some minor differences in economy.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #184
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
thanks for the clarifications,

i assume since your also in PA, this will pass PA emissions, is that correct?

is this flex kit good for daily driving. i dont track my car at all. are there a lot of people using this system for daily driving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
Tune update is free for existing customers. But the tune itself is a whole other product and if you haven't gotten a tune from us then you'll need to buy that. EcuTek license/cable is required as that has the flex fuel capability along with other custom maps.

We have a standalone display, though we offer a budget kit that removes that and you can log the output via custom map and get it via cheap windows tablet if need be. Another difference is line routing. There are no bends in our flex fuel lines. We use the precise angles on the fittings to ensure that the lines are totally straight. This prevents any kinking and maximizes flow. We also only offer the stainless braided lines and CNC machined fittings. No plastic/vinyl option at this time. We also offer both rear o2 and evap options. The latter allows for both wideband logging and flex fuel, and also retains closed loop control using the rear o2 which can have some minor differences in economy.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #185
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
thanks for the clarifications,

i assume since your also in PA, this will pass PA emissions, is that correct?

is this flex kit good for daily driving. i dont track my car at all. are there a lot of people using this system for daily driving ?
Unfortunately we cannot comment with a definitive answer here. All of our parts are for "off-road" use only. You will have to reference your county/state law to determine if it is something that you can run. Using the evap or rear o2 as an input takes out a readiness monitor, so depending on whether you can have one or two report not ready determines the answer to that question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
driftking96 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 PM   #186
morswestford

What are the long term effects of using a flex fuel kit on the brz/frs platform?
Could there be any long term damage to the engine itself? (ethanol absorbs dirt easily and can corrode the engine)
Has anyone used your kit, or others for a long period of time to comment on the stability of there engines?

Sorry for the basic question, i am just analyzing the pros and cons of it. Who wouldn't love the added HP gains. But what about the long term health of the vehicle. Is it safe to use for long periods of time? Does anyone even know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
Unfortunately we cannot comment with a definitive answer here. All of our parts are for "off-road" use only. You will have to reference your county/state law to determine if it is something that you can run. Using the evap or rear o2 as an input takes out a readiness monitor, so depending on whether you can have one or two report not ready determines the answer to that question.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #187
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
What are the long term effects of using a flex fuel kit on the brz/frs platform?
Could there be any long term damage to the engine itself? (ethanol absorbs dirt easily and can corrode the engine)
Has anyone used your kit, or others for a long period of time to comment on the stability of there engines?

Sorry for the basic question, i am just analyzing the pros and cons of it. Who wouldn't love the added HP gains. But what about the long term health of the vehicle. Is it safe to use for long periods of time? Does anyone even know?

I've been using the Moto-East flex fuel kit for ~50000 miles or so, and turbocharged for ~35k of those miles (at ~70000 now) and have noticed no negative effects on my daily driven engine. I'd estimate about 30000 of that ~50000 miles was on an ethanol concentration greater than 60%.

Last edited by Fred E; 05-23-2016 at 02:13 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred E For This Useful Post:
Bramick (05-26-2016), driftking96 (05-23-2016), Initial_RD (06-09-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #188
TMW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jackson Racing Supercharged/Flex-Fuel

Hey everyone. I like to leave good feedback for whatever car related purchases I make. I've been running Moto-east's Flex-Fuel kit with my JRSC and have had no issues since install. If anyone is on the fence, you can trust these guys. Great customer support as well.

Edit: been running it for about 4 months so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to TMW For This Useful Post:
Xero-Limit (06-10-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #189
Corradooo

Drives: Storm trooper FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I just installed my ver. 2 Moto-east flex fuel kit with DW 700 injectors and a DW fuel pump, flashed the updated flex fuel tune, the car started right up and is idling OK but I'm getting CEL p0452 or p0453 if I clear it it comes right back. Anyone else have an issue like this? I've checked all connections everything seems good, I'm getting an ethanol reading of e09 still on 91 pump gas.

Waiting until tomorrow (Monday) to hear back from Mike, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue and had a quick fix or something I can see if I did wrong.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #190
Markiv

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradooo View Post
I just installed my ver. 2 Moto-east flex fuel kit with DW 700 injectors and a DW fuel pump, flashed the updated flex fuel tune, the car started right up and is idling OK but I'm getting CEL p0452 or p0453 if I clear it it comes right back. Anyone else have an issue like this? I've checked all connections everything seems good, I'm getting an ethanol reading of e09 still on 91 pump gas.

Waiting until tomorrow (Monday) to hear back from Mike, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue and had a quick fix or something I can see if I did wrong.
I had the same codes thrown. The problem was the updated tune didn't include the flex fuel maps by accident. Load the tune file into Ecutek and see if there a bunch of new custom maps under the addition parameter section at the bottom of the list (Custom map J is the ethanol content %). If not, you need a new tune file with all the flex fuel maps. He got back to me really quick on all of the emails I sent.

Last edited by Markiv; 06-13-2016 at 10:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markiv For This Useful Post:
Corradooo (06-13-2016), Xero-Limit (06-22-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #191
Corradooo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiv View Post
I had the same codes thrown. The problem was the updated tune didn't include the flex fuel maps by accident. Load the tune file into Ecutek and see if there a bunch of new custom maps under the addition parameter section at the bottom of the list (Custom map J is the ethanol content %). If not, you need a new tune file with all the flex fuel maps. He got back to me really quick on all of the emails I sent.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to check that out this morning and see if that helps, if not I'll await a reply from Mike. Hopefully it was just me being new to this and it was something I didn't do right, like what you mentioned lol.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #192
Corradooo

Garage
I clicked the plus sign for all parameters and I see Custom Map A through P with an Interim and a Result option for each letter, so I see the Custom Map J, but none are checked off. Is it as simple as checking the box myself or do I need a new tune file? @Markiv
Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #193
Markiv

Drives: GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corradooo View Post
I clicked the plus sign for all parameters and I see Custom Map A through P with an Interim and a Result option for each letter, so I see the Custom Map J, but none are checked off. Is it as simple as checking the box myself or do I need a new tune file? @Markiv
No, the check boxes are just for logging. The codes are thrown because you are using the evap harness. Mike is going to have to send you a new tune. I went easy on mine until I did and don't put ethanol in it until he sends it to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markiv For This Useful Post:
Corradooo (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #194
Corradooo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiv View Post
No, the check boxes are just for logging. The codes are thrown because you are using the evap harness. Mike is going to have to send you a new tune. I went easy on mine until I did and don't put ethanol in it until he sends it to you.
Cool thanks for the help. I drove 15 min to work today but didn't go over 4k at all, and still have about half a tank of 91, and I'll make sure I stay off the ethanol until I get a new map. Cheers!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #195
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Just Ordered. Can't wait to install and get tuned. E85 + Turbo should feel pretty amazing.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #196
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
PM'ed Mike. Pls respond asap. Free bump.

Closed Thread

Tags
e85, ethanol, flex fuel