follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #1107
autobrz

Drives: Mazda 3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will the kit have the option to be run with WOT switch completely disabled? I mean, to permanently run in partial throttle mode? I'm wondering if the motor can be run at a speed that can make the system on 100% of the time?
autobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #1108
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post

A supercharger has no such mechanism to "keep the same pressure" in the manifold. A supercharged system that makes 10 psi at sea level would make, for example, 7 psi at high altitude. There is no wastegate to allow the supercharger to work harder to maintain 10 psi.
Some do. If you designed the system to produce the desired boost at altitude, the BOV should dump the excess at sea level.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #1109
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Interested to see a run from a 5-10mph first gear roll...
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
fenton (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #1110
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobrz View Post
Will the kit have the option to be run with WOT switch completely disabled? I mean, to permanently run in partial throttle mode? I'm wondering if the motor can be run at a speed that can make the system on 100% of the time?
It is my understanding that this would cook your batteries pretty quickly, thus the entire point of a WOT switch - intermittent power to the motor, with time in between for the alternator to recharge the batteries. If you want to run it all the time it truly is more efficient to run it with a belt drive a la vortech than it is to involve the losses and inefficiencies of the alternator, and the charging circuit, and the wire leads from both, and the motor.

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1111
fenton

Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
I assume those videos were just for fun and not meant to prove performance?
Oh ya there is no way a FRS is going to beat a BMW with full exhaust but it gives you and idea.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #1112
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Interested to see a run from a 5-10mph first gear roll...
1st gear roll

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVG9vtuE_Q&feature="]FRS BRZ vs BMW 135i - YouTube[/ame]

Now everyone else go out in their FRS or BRZ either NA or supercharged and tell me how close you are to a 135i with full exhaust.

I tell you, its miles away. I raced him stock before i got the system and i was 20 car lengths away after 2 gears. It was just destruction.

I'm interested in seeing what the vortech boys can do. So far I haven't seen any comparison.

Last edited by fenton; 07-30-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1113
fenton

Forgot round 3
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLH0WkohMSo&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Supercharged FRS BRZ vs BMW 135i round 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #1114
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
So you are comparing performance then? You're comparing one car in 2nd gear, another in 3rd, and conveniently cut the video off as soon as the faster car gets into 4th gear and blows you into last week?

You're discrediting this work pretty quickly........
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #1115
brillo

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Fenton,

A couple of questions, I've tried reading through about half the thread but it’s a lot to sift through in one day. Thanks again for doing this, very exciting project and your willingness to share the info as you have as well as be a guinea pig is commendable. Next time I’m in Calgary we should meet up and the beer is on me.

1. What exactly is 80% throttle on your car? 80% isn’t foot to the floor but close? I’ve watched the video’s but its hard to tell if 80% is gunning it in street driving without going to the floor boards or not. How would you describe the feel of the throttle input necessary to get the system to kick in?

2. I read early on a CEL was thrown going ~WOT under 3,000 RPM. What happens for example if you were at a dead stop waiting to turn on to a busy highway feeder road and you gun it? Will that through a CEL?

3. How did you apply throttle with you dyno runs given the ~3,000rpm issue mentioned above?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #1116
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_sjo View Post
So you are comparing performance then? You're comparing one car in 2nd gear, another in 3rd, and conveniently cut the video off as soon as the faster car gets into 4th gear and blows you into last week?

You're discrediting this work pretty quickly........
There is nothing discrediting about it.... it is what it is. There are two other video's that show him pulling away constantly. I just uploaded one where we both start in first.

Im sorry i dont have very many friends with cars as slow as the FRS so this is all i have to post lol.

We were out having fun and starting the BMW in third at 3000 RPM (peak torque) and the frs in second at 4500 rpm resulted in the funnest video's.

It shows that when taken off gaurd a e supercharged FRS can keep ahead of a $52000 BMW with full exhaust...... for a little bit

Come on we are having fun just take it for what it is

Last edited by fenton; 07-30-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #1117
fenton

The 135i has infinitely more top end so we knew this would be the result but i promised everyone more video's so im doing the best i can
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1118
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Superchargers don't make up for altitude. Only turbo's do that because the boost that is entering the motor is tied to a turbo that is controlled by a wastegate that will keep a certain set pressure. This wastegate looks for a certain manifold pressure and tries to maintain it irregardless of what atmospheric pressure you are at.

High altitude has less pressure to begin with so a turbo will spin harder to make, say 10 psi at 6000ft. How does it work harder? The wastegate keeps shut untill manifold pressure reaches the set point. This set point is harder to reach at altitude. This set up would still make 10 psi at sea level, but the turbo wouldn't be working as hard.

A supercharger has no such mechanism to "keep the same pressure" in the manifold. A supercharged system that makes 10 psi at sea level would make, for example, 7 psi at high altitude. There is no wastegate to allow the supercharger to work harder to maintain 10 psi.

You can think about it like this:

A turbo can be made to work harder in order to maintain a set manifold pressure. A belt driven supercharger cannot. A belt driven supercharger works "X amount" and cannot work more than X amount unless you rev higher or change the pulley so that it works X + Y amount.

Ex.
X amount of work = 10 psi at sea level
X amount of work = 7 psi at 6000 ft
Unless you have a waste gated supercharger running higher boost then what you want so it cuts you off at say 9psi that it hits at around 4k rpm, after the waste gate starts opening the back pressure on the supercharger lightens increasing mpg compared to running the supercharger without a waste gate, it also allows the ability to run boost by gear and also an actual flexfuel setup...

All the perks of a turbo with out the spool up time.

I may know someone who's doing this ass soon as he makes his fat ass fit back into his 32" jeans.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #1119
Adeets
OEDC

Drives: Vortech 8.5psi 274WHP 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingen View Post
Silly question here but if the cel doesn't hurt anything do you really need a tune? Do you care if it's there? Because tunes are expensive and I have had check engine lights before lol.
CELS inhibit things like cruise control.
Adeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #1120
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo View Post
Fenton,

A couple of questions, I've tried reading through about half the thread but it’s a lot to sift through in one day. Thanks again for doing this, very exciting project and your willingness to share the info as you have as well as be a guinea pig is commendable. Next time I’m in Calgary we should meet up and the beer is on me.

1. What exactly is 80% throttle on your car? 80% isn’t foot to the floor but close? I’ve watched the video’s but its hard to tell if 80% is gunning it in street driving without going to the floor boards or not. How would you describe the feel of the throttle input necessary to get the system to kick in?

2. I read early on a CEL was thrown going ~WOT under 3,000 RPM. What happens for example if you were at a dead stop waiting to turn on to a busy highway feeder road and you gun it? Will that through a CEL?

3. How did you apply throttle with you dyno runs given the ~3,000rpm issue mentioned above?
1. 80 percent throttle is 80 percent to the floor.... which is = to 100% throttle body open. So you can basically drive the car Full throttle NA and then push the throttle 10% more(past the switch) and get the supercharged power. It has never kicked in when i didnt want to it. When i want to pass someone i go WOT and it engages instantly.

2. It isnt just going wot under 3000 rpm. If you go wot in 4th to 6th gear between 3000 and 4000 the CEL will come on indicating MAP out of range or something like that. If you gun it at 1000 rpm(dont know why you would do this) it will go very rich and probably bog. In first gear you are out of that range within seconds..... even after you feather the clutch to get going you usually are at 2000 and it works just fine.

The one thing that i found was i had a crap start once and bogged it(almost stalled) and then went full thorttle to try and get up to speed and it just kind of bucked and bogged. You have to think of it this way, almost no other form of Forced induction can give 4 to 5 psi of boost(sans PD) at 1000 rpm..... there is so much load on the engine at that RPM that it pushes the ECU outside of its known fuel and load tables resulting in rich AFR.

It really isnt a problem at all, only ran into it once as i mentioned.

3. For the dyno on the stock tune we just started at 3200 rpm and it recorded the run fine. It still gets a CEL but the run produced safe AFR's and good power.

Once we tuned we were starting at about 2300 RPM and it has happy to do that all day long without throwing a code. I really recommend a tune for this product.

Hope that helps, keep the questions coming, im the Guinea pig and have had the system for over 5000km now!

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive