follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 04-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #8093
Ninjin

Drives: SWP BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKETREES View Post
Do you see a lot of tire wear or pretty reasonable?
I just checked my street tires (OE). They're pretty even, within 0.5/32nds between inside and outside of the tread (overall they're around 7.5/32nds after 10k miles). My autocross tires are another story, they wear much more on the outside, which is a sign of not enough negative camber (wearing on the inside of the tread would mean the opposite).

Setting camber for performance driving is a matter of the tires' lateral grip capacity and the roll resistance of the suspension setup (spring rates + anti-roll bar rate). Soft setups like mine (stock springs with a modest 20mm FSB) will require more static negative camber to counteract the effects of body roll on the tires' contact patch. Stickier tires will put more force in the suspension, causing more body roll.

Rear negative camber tends to be a compromise, since static camber in the rear will detract from the ability to accelerate (In our RWD cars) and brake in a straight line (front camber affects braking too). Lowering the twins will cause a negative camber gain in the rear, and it's not always even between sides. Without aftermarket parts, it's kind of a crapshoot as to what any particular car will get.

When setting camber for street driving, driving style is probably a much bigger influence, since you won't always be driving 10/10ths (hopefully). If the car is driven in straight lines all day on the freeway the camber wear will show up much more than a car that sees a lot of aggressive cornering.

I hope this helps give you an idea of how to proceed with your setup. A controlled environment can be great for fine-tuning a setup.

P.S. To really get into this, a discussion of dynamic camber is probably warranted. That's a whole big can of worms. Ugh.
Ninjin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ninjin For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (04-30-2013), nelsmar (04-30-2013), SMOKETREES (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #8094
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsides
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns03 View Post
is there any group rides being planned any time soon? I'm excited to meet up with fellow ft86 drivers
There is a BBQ at my place on Sunday the 12th at noon
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #8095
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Drives: Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
Dont wory about wear at 1-2 degree's. S2000 UK spec was -2 in the rear from the factory which should shed some perspective.

And KSports allow 2 degree in each direction from the center point of mount. This doesn't mean 2 degree's from 0 degree's camber. If you lower the car your wheel tilts in. Which is why the camber plates allow you to camber out 2 degree's as well. All the way in will depend on your ride height for angle. I just had to adjust mine as somehow i managed to push them in at one point and the camber was visually pretty noticeable, and after 1k or so miles i have noticeable inner wear. Its not that much wear but you can see it.
Yeah I went all the way towards the engine so I'm guessing that's - right? And going towards the wheel would be +? But my front have about 5 threads left and the rears have about 41/2 but will be a little lower when I can get to it. I'll just reset one of the mileage things and go 500 miles and take wheel off and check. I mean I have some stretched tires so I bet I'll be okay, we will see tho. I was also looking very carefully on comparing the rear natural camber and the front and it looks pretty much the same nos and never seen tire wear on the rears.
SMOKETREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #8096
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Garage
Gonna go test run in a few minutes and see how much responsive it is
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #8097
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I went all the way towards the engine so I'm guessing that's - right? And going towards the wheel would be +? But my front have about 5 threads left and the rears have about 41/2 but will be a little lower when I can get to it. I'll just reset one of the mileage things and go 500 miles and take wheel off and check. I mean I have some stretched tires so I bet I'll be okay, we will see tho. I was also looking very carefully on comparing the rear natural camber and the front and it looks pretty much the same nos and never seen tire wear on the rears.
You only have 5 threads on the coillover before the cup touches the spring perch? Thats fairly low hah. I am only about 1/3 the way down on mine, i just measured the height to an evenlevel and aimed for 1-2" lower (though a tad higher to compensate for spring sag). The will sag fairly quick 100-500 miles and you should be g2g. Now that mine has leveled out i am going to go get an alignment reading and adjust the rear until im somewhere in the ballpark i want, then adjust the ride height in the front to match & send it off to get the front aligned.

And yes in towards the engine = negative camber.

it also depends on how you adjusted the bolt on the lower side for camber. i pushed mine all the way in and then pulled my camber plates out. It sounds like you pushed it out. I went with the mindset that if it wasn't completely tight (although i used a torque wrench) that it would likely push more in (towards negative camber). I need to hit up Kos and get me some new bolts.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
SMOKETREES (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #8098
SMOKETREES
Lowered Lifestyle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
You only have 5 threads on the coillover before the cup touches the spring perch? Thats fairly low hah. I am only about 1/3 the way down on mine, i just measured the height to an evenlevel and aimed for 1-2" lower (though a tad higher to compensate for spring sag). The will sag fairly quick 100-500 miles and you should be g2g. Now that mine has leveled out i am going to go get an alignment reading and adjust the rear until im somewhere in the ballpark i want, then adjust the ride height in the front to match & send it off to get the front aligned.

And yes in towards the engine = negative camber.

it also depends on how you adjusted the bolt on the lower side for camber. i pushed mine all the way in and then pulled my camber plates out. It sounds like you pushed it out. I went with the mindset that if it wasn't completely tight (although i used a torque wrench) that it would likely push more in (towards negative camber). I need to hit up Kos and get me some new bolts.
Haha yeah and I wanna go lower but will wait until the sag has settled in. The rears def need to be lowered a tad more to complete the look I'm going for and then it'll be off to the alignment shop. Any recommendations?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #8099
nelsmar

Quote:
Haha yeah and I wanna go lower but will wait until the sag has settled in. The rears def need to be lowered a tad more to complete the look I'm going for and then it'll be off to the alignment shop. Any recommendations?
Just remember you cant adjust the rear.... well anything. And things change the lower you go. If you aren't horribly concerned with performance low is fine. I Just wanted a subtle drop and the ability to adjust my damper & slight spring change my self. I really like how my rear looks right now but im going to guess that i wont win and ill have to raise it haha. I just hate the wheel offset!!

I was going to go to network alignment as they do free check & then i think its 10$ extra for lowered cars and its not terribly expensive. I was going to do this so i could get it checked and then go home and adjust my rear to get hopefully close to 1.5-2 degrees negative camber. (depending on the toe in).

But then i realized toyota near me has an alignment rack and my friend works there so I am going to just set an appointment there.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #8100
nelsmar

P.S. you mentioned stretched tires... if your on OEM wheels i wouldn't worry about rubbing on anything unless you dropped the car excessively. The offset is beyond conservative on this car. And our wells are fairly clean with good clearance.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #8101
Ninjin

Quote:
If you have a level you can get a pretty good idea of how much camber you have. Hold the level against the bottom lip of the wheel and use the bubble to make sure it's vertical. While holding it vertical, measure the distance between the top lip of the wheel and the edge of the level. Plug that distance into: arctan(distH/distV). distH is the horizontal distance between the level and the wheel at the top, and distV is the vertical distance between the point on the bottom of the wheel that touches the level and the top point that is measured to (essentially the diameter of the wheel as measured, not the spec diameter). If I take the values measured on my car I can plug them into google like so: arctan(-0.42/21) in degrees, I can see that I have about -1.15 degrees of camber.

It's not going to be as accurate as an alignment rack, but it's a lot cheaper if you already have the tools, and you can get pretty close with a steady hand and a keen eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjin For This Useful Post:
SMOKETREES (05-01-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #8102
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
So I was on the AZsolo forums and there is a bunch of new to us and very strict rules for road course autoX. I have asked for them so I can either post a link or email them. Spinning out and going off track will be an Extreme DNF from what I'm seeing.

Also this is what @thesleeper looks like giving directions

And this is what @Sivtec looks like when he is lost lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Accurate Race Shop; 04-30-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typo
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
Sivtec (05-01-2013), thesleeper (05-02-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #8103
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
alright, signed up for the AMP special event. DDDD

edit: yea typically the rules are much more strict during special events, and AMP is doubly so. Id assume 2 wheels off is an extreme DNF, maybe even asked to leave but 4 wheels off even once is your cue to go home.

Its really not that bad, but as a novice myself I will definitely be asking for an instructor for my first lap at the very least
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #8104
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjin View Post
1 deg is probably good for regular or slightly aggressive driving, 1.5 - 2 is better for spirited or track driving. I have about 1 degree now and it's not enough.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
I can get about 4 degrees, it looks purty.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #8105
Ninjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil86 View Post
I can get about 4 degrees, it looks purty.
Yeah your autocross tires are wearing great, but you may want to consider flipping your street tires
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #8106
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjin View Post
Yeah your autocross tires are wearing great, but you may want to consider flipping your street tires
I have the camber and toe set for street now, besides I will have an excuse to put on rivals for daily driving.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum