follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
j0hnnybk01

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
frs low fuel rail pressure ? 15,000 miles

So my car has a cel for low fuel rail pressure. When i give it gas there is no response and the idle is bouncing up and down making poping noises. Any one have any idea what it could be?? I took it to one dealer and they just cleared the code and told me to go back to the dealer i got it from if it happened again ... Sure enough i let it sit for 30 min and start it and it happens again !! so there are no mods on my car except a hks drop in air filter rims and springs . Another thing is the dealer did change my fuel pump for the chirping noise and it did make the noise again . but i am wondering if the fuel pump replacement could be the problem . maybe it was installed incorrectly but it took about 10,000 miles to show up . Has anyone experienced this problem ? i want to start modding the car but i don't think its going to happen if its an unreliable car from the get go .
j0hnnybk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Have it towed back to the dealer you bought the car from.

The first thing they should check is literally the PSI in the lines.

Another thing you can do is take out the gas cap and turn the car to ON but DO NOT START THE CAR. You should hear the fuel pump priming.
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
j0hnnybk01

@N1rve i had it towed back yesterday morning still haven't heard anything back from the dealer at the moment they wont be open till monday morning and it does seem like the fuel pump is priming although the other dealer said they heard a tapping noise from the fuel pump..
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnnybk01 View Post
@N1rve i had it towed back yesterday morning still haven't heard anything back from the dealer at the moment they wont be open till monday morning and it does seem like the fuel pump is priming although the other dealer said they heard a tapping noise from the fuel pump..

They could of installed the pump incorrectly, which is causing this issue. What they should check is the PSI in the lines.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post

Another thing you can do is take out the gas cap and turn the car to ON but DO NOT START THE CAR. You should hear the fuel pump priming.

How will that measure the fuel pressure? And how would that diagnose the high fuel pressure code?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaHaole View Post
How will that measure the fuel pressure? And how would that diagnose the high fuel pressure code?
If it's not priming.... then there's no pressure....

I never specifically said this measures fuel pressure. It's just another thing you can do.

You'll need a special tool to measure fuel pressure in the lines. It has a gauge that tells you the PSI. I have no idea what the specific PSI is for this car.

And if someone wants to jump on my case as to why I said "Tow it back to where you bought the car. It's because through experience, the dealer where you bought the car is more incline to help you because you gave them your business.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
HapaHaole

Drives: Grocery cart
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A dealer saying take it back where you purchased it is NOT a good dealer, it does not matter where you buy the car, as long as the dealer represent the manufacture they have to honor all warranties on that vehicle.

You can listen for the fuel pump prime, but if it did not turn on his car will not even run period. I would of told that original dealer to fix it, and explain what code you have!
HapaHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
j0hnnybk01

Alright so i got a phone call today from the dealer and they don't know what is causing the problem and they told me they are just going to replace the fuel pump and go from there seems to me this might not go so well ...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #9
N1rve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaHaole View Post
A dealer saying take it back where you purchased it is NOT a good dealer, it does not matter where you buy the car, as long as the dealer represent the manufacture they have to honor all warranties on that vehicle.

You can listen for the fuel pump prime, but if it did not turn on his car will not even run period. I would of told that original dealer to fix it, and explain what code you have!
All dealers are independently owned and are not owned by Subaru or Toyota so each dealership experience is different.

Check on yelp or google reviews to see if the dealership is good.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
j0hnnybk01

Well i got the car back today and they replaced the fuel pump again so far car is running fine with no issues hope it stays that way .
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I am assuming they replaced the DI pump? Just for future reference the car idles on DI only, and checking the fuel pressure can be done with tech stream (or if you have some sort of upgraded ecu most platforms will let you log it). The high pressure direct injection system has a fuel pressure sensor. However the lower pressure port injection system does not. That system has to be verified with a fuel pressure gauge.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote