follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #43
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post
Hey, how does that header work with the Perrin Exhaust? Are you resonated with the catted front pipe? I want power, and I want a growl, but I dont want the car to be overbearingly loud. So I know that I want The Perrin Header back w/ resonator, but I dont know about headers yet.
It was a lot louder at first, the borla headers were LOUD at cold start & load when I first put them on. Fortunately it calmed down a whole lot over the last month or so as it broke in (carbon build up? I dunno), I can only imagine how loud it would have been with an uncatted or resonated headerback. Now it still has a definite growl & roar under load. Honestly I would look at a catted header if loud sound is going to bother you a lot.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
Oburn

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My issue is I'm in Canada and live no where close to any of these tuners
Oburn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oburn For This Useful Post:
nelsmar (05-21-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #45
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oburn View Post
My issue is I'm in Canada and live no where close to any of these tuners
Dyno is good for inching the last hp, but 90% of gains can be had remotely. We have customers in Canada, Africa, all over Europe....you can also go to any local dyno and try a few variations to see what fuel/timing works best
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #46
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This thread today made my mind up which tuner to choose.

I don't appreciate having my post deleted, especially when I did not type a single word that was derogatory/negative towards anyone. This makes me feel like there is some kind of agenda going on here.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #47
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

I don't appreciate having my post deleted, especially when I did not type a single word that was derogatory/negative towards anyone. This makes me feel like there is some kind of agenda going on here.
:happy0180:
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
EL7

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in an odd situation. I'm new to San Antonio and have been out of the mod scene for 10 years and didn't realize that Dynotronics was right here in my backyard. Dynotronics is a Master Tuner and folks on the Mazda and local 86 forums have great things to say about that shop.

However, my friend has a GTR and turned me onto Visconti before I knew about Dynotronics. I saw great feedback about Visconti on several forums and a personal vouch from a friend. So I went with John.

This doesn't mean I won't give business to Dynotronics. I feel kinda bad I didn't support my "local" tune shop out the gate but I look forward to sending some install work their way later down the road. For now, I guess my tuner is John. I just received my cable and usb today and I'm confident my money is well spent.

As far as my interactions with John so far, they've all been positive and left me with the notion that he's a busy guy who's a bit overloaded but genuinely cares about his customer. I've phoned him up three times and he always is casual and never rushes me to get me off the phone. He explains things to my satisfaction and eventually follows through on what he says even if he needs a quick reminder. Sure he takes some time to get back to me on questions in a PM but I can tell the dude is busy and is trying to juggle a lot of chainsaws at once.

I'm just some average schmo that bought a cheap sports car and he treats me the same as he does my buddy with the GTR that costs three times what my car does. So, for what it's worth, I get a good vibe from him and look forward to working with his tunes.
EL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL7 For This Useful Post:
Sensisnow (05-26-2013), Visconti (05-18-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #49
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went with DD Performance Research in Sealy, Texas. I live north of New Orleans, but Dave is the best guy I know and his tunes, regardless of car, are flawless and top notch. I will be driving back to him whenever I go turbo, and then again when I get my Lotus and want it built. He is my one and only.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #50
guarapo

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
had nothing but good experiences with Visconti since I bought my vortech kit and tune from him. Already had a couple of tune reviews from the base one that I received with the kit and my car just keeps feeling better and better!. I don't feel like I paid too much for my tune/product at all for the results im getting.
Visconti (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #51
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyperRspec789 View Post
I wish these forums were more friendly, where everybody's opinion was respected and not called "bullshit". Not to sound like a cry baby, but it makes the forum less enjoyable for me.
I think you'll be wishing a long time. The aftermarket tuning sector is full of bullshit, both from tuners/magazines/manfucturers and then the consumers who blindly follow/repeat the junk. It's been like that as long as i've been on the planet and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Add into that the typical online forum persona of le keyboard warrior and you have a reasonably unproductive mix.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #52
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
I went with DD Performance Research in Sealy, Texas. I live north of New Orleans, but Dave is the best guy I know and his tunes, regardless of car, are flawless and top notch. I will be driving back to him whenever I go turbo, and then again when I get my Lotus and want it built. He is my one and only.
If you look at his shop in Google maps you can see someone has been doing a bunch of donuts in his parking lot. Lol fun. I used the dealer finder on the ecutek site.

EDIT: I grew up in slidell. :happy0180:
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #53
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I know this will never happen for a multitude of reasons, but I would love to see some kind of tuner shootout to see once and for all which tuners walk the walk in addition to talking the talk.

In Richmond we've got about 5 cars in varying states of modification (ranging from stock to intake only, to headers/full exhaust/e85 and even a supercharged one in the near future.) These cars have all dyno'd together on the same day and dyno in the past and shouldn't be a problem for us to put something together in the future.

For what it is worth, the dyno is not affiliated with any 86 or import tuners involved. They're a nationally known Mustang shop and operate a DynoJet 224x that is used by NASA as their calibration dyno.

What I would love to see is that we (as a forum) identify 2 or 3 cars from that group and 2-3 (maybe 4-5) of the top tuners who would like to participate and demonstrate just how effective their tuning skills are. All tuners would be providing tunes for each of the 2-3 cars in the challenge so that results are comparable.

My thinking is 2 weeks prior to the actual dyno date the tuners are introduced to the 3 cars that they'll be tuning as a part of this "Tuner Challenge" to familiarize themselves with the modifications. During that 2 week period they are permitted to tweak their tunes via datalogs.

On dyno day, the cars will arrive at the dyno facility and do 2 rounds of dyno testing.

Round 1:
Testing street tunes / Data logging.

-Each street tuned rom is flashed freshly to the ECU to eliminate ECU learning as a possibility for variation in the results.
-Run each car 3 times on each ROM, allowing datalogging and providing wideband tailpipe O2's as well.
-Each individual tuner is sent their logs/dynos

Round 2:
-1-2 hours later
-Each tuner reviews the logs/dyno charts received from round 1 and can provide a single updated rom to each car.
-The updated roms are run.

Results from each round, (including all 3 dyno pulls) from each vendor and each car are posted so that the forum members are able to make educated decisions and apples to apples comparisons when in the buying process.

I wish.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #54
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
loving my fa20club flash, got it well sorted out with my mods. very smooth
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

Welcome to the forum where truth gets deleted. God forbid you tell others the truth about personal experiences on here...mods wouldn't want that now would they? Maybe this will disappear too...
Old 05-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #56
loogs
Banned

Drives: on cruise control
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
i live on long island, new york. where can i go for a tune? thanks
loogs is offline   Reply With Quote