follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #407
nimble

Drives: 2013 WO FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@heatherger which dealership did you go to? Can you pm me?
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #408
bhbnuckle

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S/2003 Honda Accord
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Change your transmission fluid...I have 35,000 miles and my transmission is smooth as glass running Motul Gear300 75w-90.

Many people have found that changing the fluid to ether Motul or Pentosin has fixed 95% of the issues with this transmission. The car comes stock with crappy conventional oil.

I also had the clutch squeak for a while...but it fixed itself over time and it doesn't squeak anymore. Clutch feels smooth, even better with a high quality DOT 4 fluid from StopTech.
Hwy sony. Sorry to bting up old thread.

When u had ur squeak sound.. was ur clutch felt crunchy at the end of the trave as well?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
bhbnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #409
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,528 Times in 18,928 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbnuckle View Post

When u had ur squeak sound.. was ur clutch felt crunchy at the end of the trave as well?
Better to necro a good thread than start a new one. Yes, crunchy at the end of travel is due to the throwout bearing binding on the front cover/snout. I am pulling my transmission today and will post photos.

When inspecting/cleaning my spare yesterday, I saw that the snout and the fork pivot were both caked with clutch disk material that had been absorbed by the applied lubricant. The combination had become a gritty abrasive mess.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #410
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

No, my squeak was just from lack of grease on the tip of the throwout fork where the slave cylinder presses on it. You're supposed to put some grease on there every so often. I use High Tempurature bearing grease from Lucas Oil and just put it on whenever it starts squeaking.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #411
bhbnuckle

I got call from Dealership today and saying that my tranny need to be parted out in order to find out exact cause and must send to HQ for approval. If HQ deny on warranty (my b2b warrany expired period wise 2 month ago but only driven 38,000 km) ill have to pay off the diagnose and all the fee which they quoted replacing bearing would be 600+ tax. Idk what to do at the moment.

Let me hear from you guys if anyone had similar situation.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #412
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I got call from Dealership today and saying that my tranny need to be parted out in order to find out exact cause and must send to HQ for approval. If HQ deny on warranty (my b2b warrany expired period wise 2 month ago but only driven 38,000 km) ill have to pay off the diagnose and all the fee which they quoted replacing bearing would be 600+ tax. Idk what to do at the moment.

Let me hear from you guys if anyone had similar situation.

Thanks in advance

I forgot exactly how much, but I was first told I had to pay hundreds of dollars out of pocket just for the diagnosis even when I still had bumper to bumper warranty. I brought it to another location and it was covered under warranty without any issue. Same dealer but different location. So, it pretty much differed on the specific persons I talked to when I dropped off the car.

Is your car just making the noise and still driveable? I drove mine with the noise for 1 year, 10k miles before I got it fixed. If yours is just the noise and nothing else, then you should try another dealer.

Quote:
Edit: I said if it's just the noise, but I also had a little bit of crunchy feel at the end of the travel as well.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
bhbnuckle (07-03-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #413
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Better to necro a good thread than start a new one. Yes, crunchy at the end of travel is due to the throwout bearing binding on the front cover/snout. I am pulling my transmission today and will post photos.

When inspecting/cleaning my spare yesterday, I saw that the snout and the fork pivot were both caked with clutch disk material that had been absorbed by the applied lubricant. The combination had become a gritty abrasive mess.
Any update? What did you find?
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #414
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Any update? What did you find?
I'll post up good pics tonight. Complete breakdown of the oem lube. Separation, caking, drop, all of it. Dunno what they used or if the #2 Red will fare any better. We'll see over time.

Bottom line - get in there and clean it all up before all the parts wear even more. It's a gritty mess.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #415
bhbnuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard View Post
It's been about a week since I used the white lithium grease on the clutch fork through the transmission boot. The squeak went away almost immediately after 20 mins of driving the day I applied the grease. It's been about a week and it has been raining quite often throughout the week. Usually the squeak would return on rainy days and be very audible but I do not hear or feel anything in the pedal. I will occasionally hear a slight squeak here and there but no where near as bad as it was before.

I will continue to monitor and will most likely reapply grease this Saturday. Hopefully the lithium grease is doing it's job and grabbing dust and dirt from areas that have been heavily impacted by the environment/clutch dust.
Did you removed slave cylinder then sprayed white lithium grease through boot inside tranny?
I put some of Red Tacky #2 grease in there but no luck.(w/o removing the slave cylinder)

Thanks

Last edited by bhbnuckle; 06-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #416
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'll post up good pics tonight. Complete breakdown of the oem lube. Separation, caking, drop, all of it. Dunno what they used or if the #2 Red will fare any better. We'll see over time.

Bottom line - get in there and clean it all up before all the parts wear even more. It's a gritty mess.
I'll eagerly await your analysis. For the time being, my squeak is intermittent and rare enough that I wasn't going to fuss too much with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is, scare me.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #417
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I'm still confused. I have this issue. Same as OP. Only happens after the car has been driven for a bit (so clearly something needs to warm up) and it's just a squeak at the bottom travel of the pedal. There is a bit of "crunchiness" in the pedal, but it just matches the creak, as if it just isn't traveling smoothly because something isn't properly lubricated.

It seems for all the world like it is just a lack of lubrication somewhere, and yet tons of people in this thread have had entire clutch assemblies replaced, or throwout bearings replaced. Which is it?!?! Once the car is warmed up, it will make the same noise whether the car is on or off. That makes me thing it isn't the bearing, but what do I know...?
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #418
bhbnuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
I'm still confused. I have this issue. Same as OP. Only happens after the car has been driven for a bit (so clearly something needs to warm up) and it's just a squeak at the bottom travel of the pedal. There is a bit of "crunchiness" in the pedal, but it just matches the creak, as if it just isn't traveling smoothly because something isn't properly lubricated.

It seems for all the world like it is just a lack of lubrication somewhere, and yet tons of people in this thread have had entire clutch assemblies replaced, or throwout bearings replaced. Which is it?!?! Once the car is warmed up, it will make the same noise whether the car is on or off. That makes me thing it isn't the bearing, but what do I know...?
Ive confirmed that it is lack of grease in clutch fork pivot point inside tranny.

Imma pull the dust boot off and spray whitr lithium grease follwoing weekend.

Will be updating the result!

Old 06-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #419
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
I'll eagerly await your analysis. For the time being, my squeak is intermittent and rare enough that I wasn't going to fuss too much with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is, scare me.
All the lube had melted/separated/hardened and where there was sliding contact, mixed with the friction disk material

full size image

You can see how the lube just melted (dropped) It's sticky like tar.

full size image

The bearing itself is in perfect condition; buttery smooth - zero noise.
full size image

You're welcome to come up and check it out for yourself. I haven't touched the original parts. They shipped the fork and TOB with the spare trans so that's what I'm running now.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #420
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
TOB failure is a real thing but this creak/squeak has nothing to do with that. All the people that are having them replaced is because the plastic bushing in the center wears down enough to warrant replacement. Now that I've had the trans out I know I can drop it, clean the parts, and reinstall in an afternoon. I'll be doing this annually.