follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
psyviperx

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question How/Why did you chose the BRZ/FR-S/GT-86 over the GT-86/BRZ/FR-s?

I know this probably isn't the correct place for this question but i figured it was the best place given the lack of a combined general board and that the majority of the people posting here would own one of the twins.

I am considering purchasing a twin in the next year or so and i am curious about why you chose the one you have. If looks, price, and/or availability were the only reasons then please refrain from answering, as i would like to here from the people who test drove 2/3 or all three (if they were all available in you location).

I've read a lot of the comparisons and watched hours of the YT videos so i know the majority of the differences (between the FR-S and the BRZ anyway). I haven't had a chance to drive the BRZ or FR-S yet, but i plan to.

I think this thread my help people get a better idea of what other people liked/disliked about each model as compared to its siblings.

Lets see if we can stick to a post format to help with the reading.

--------------------
Owned VS Compared

Did you drive both?

Why did you chose the one you did?
------------------------------------

Yes, this will be a thread full of opinions. Your opinion may not match someone else's. I don't care, i want to hear their opinions and yours, but only if it is relevant to this thread.

To those who will cooperate, thanks in advance.
To the rest of you narcissistic losers who will post anyway, aren't you glad these two sentences are all about you? This is a rhetorical question.

_ViPeRX
psyviperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You wrote any awful lot for a car you have never driven....

Let me break this down for you...

This car is a Toyota. It's the Toyota 86, imagined and dreamed up by Toyota. Once time came for r&d, Toyota decided a boxer engine would be in their best interest as they recently acquired a percentage on Fuji Heavy Industries (subarus parent company). Your six year old sister knows that subaru is infamous for the use of this flat mounted design.

So an agreement was made and with the help of subaru, the Toyota design was brought to life. If you asked you sister like you should have, she might have also clued you in on the fact that subaru has a hard on for awd designs, so the idea of a Rwd sports car was not on their agenda. This almost caused their withdrawl from the project and ultimately it's demise but once Toyota showed them what their hard work had amounted to with one of the prototypes, subaru agreed to move foward. They would have their version of the project the brz which as everyone knows, admitingly or not, it's not guinely a subaru.

So we have the Toyota 86 and the subaru brz.

Walk into a subaru dealer and you'd be foolish to ask for a brz when their are names like wrx and sti hanging around. What is an sti? It's awd + turbo and it gets your juices flowing.
On top of that it's more money than the Toyota for what some call an upgraded interior, but don't kid yourself you don't buy a platform like this for its interior.

So now we have it narrowed down to your answer: the Toyota 86.

Now I know you would absoultely love to drive around in a car with "gt" in its name but sorry this is not a nissan. The GT86 is a just another name for this car in another market outside Japan, just as if your living in the states you get the clever combination of letters FR-S. There are no performance differences in all the markets as of now. Subaru has realeased upgraded packages in japan but don't let them fool you. If the six stars still have you all wide eyed and bushy tailed, stay focus and remember "wrx" not "brz".

So there you have it, could have just asked your sister.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FRSupra For This Useful Post:
DCStorm (11-04-2013), torqdork (11-03-2013), Wolfking (11-03-2013), wrussi (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Lol! First post of this person and it was well weird? Good response supra
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
psyviperx

Drives:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Because I have a soft spot for leather I first thought of buying a BRZ Limited. But, I don't like the rear spoiler which I consider form over function. I decided to go with the basic, simplest car available and that was the FR-S. I've grown fond of the upholstery and no longer want leather. I'm very happy with my decision.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Psy- spoiler and front bumper was the biggest things on why I chosed an frs
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
FR-S because simplicity.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
You wrote any awful lot for a car you have never driven....

Let me break this down for you...

This car is a Toyota. It's the Toyota 86, imagined and dreamed up by Toyota. Once time came for r&d, Toyota decided a boxer engine would be in their best interest as they recently acquired a percentage on Fuji Heavy Industries (subarus parent company). Your six year old sister knows that subaru is infamous for the use of this flat mounted design.

So an agreement was made and with the help of subaru, the Toyota design was brought to life. If you asked you sister like you should have, she might have also clued you in on the fact that subaru has a hard on for awd designs, so the idea of a Rwd sports car was not on their agenda. This almost caused their withdrawl from the project and ultimately it's demise but once Toyota showed them what their hard work had amounted to with one of the prototypes, subaru agreed to move foward. They would have their version of the project the brz which as everyone knows, admitingly or not, it's not guinely a subaru.

So we have the Toyota 86 and the subaru brz.

Walk into a subaru dealer and you'd be foolish to ask for a brz when their are names like wrx and sti hanging around. What is an sti? It's awd + turbo and it gets your juices flowing.
On top of that it's more money than the Toyota for what some call an upgraded interior, but don't kid yourself you don't buy a platform like this for its interior.

So now we have it narrowed down to your answer: the Toyota 86.

Now I know you would absoultely love to drive around in a car with "gt" in its name but sorry this is not a nissan. The GT86 is a just another name for this car in another market outside Japan, just as if your living in the states you get the clever combination of letters FR-S. There are no performance differences in all the markets as of now. Subaru has realeased upgraded packages in japan but don't let them fool you. If the six stars still have you all wide eyed and bushy tailed, stay focus and remember "wrx" not "brz".

So there you have it, could have just asked your sister.
Elegant, perceptive, insightful post. one of the best I've read on any forum here, thanks.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
psyviperx

Drives:
Thanks for the helpful replies, guys.

I had a snappy retort to supra, however my phone decided it's energy was better spent doing something more useful than feeding an anus.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You think too much! The "over detail" leads one to believe perhaps Asperger's is present. WTH ever happened to simply buying what you like? My research prior to purchasing, stated the FRS handles a bit better than the BRZ! I prefer the fascia of the FRS, so there you have it! DUDE, DON'T MAKE IT WEIRD!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This question is pretty pointless...I'm sure 99% of people who bought the FR-S would have bought the GT86 if they could've (see: how many do a badge swap) but seeings as how it isn't available in US/CAN there really isn't an option...and for people in Japan/AUS/etc where the GT86 is available, the Scion FR-S isn't...

This is just a long-winded way of asking FRS vs. BRZ? (Which there is an entire section of this forum that is dedicated to that)
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Forgot to mention how much I hate the reference "twins".

Unless of course this is Austin Powers.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
i picked the fr-s because the US doesn't have the gt86.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m.box.design For This Useful Post:
Anthony (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Anthony
Weight Nazi

Drives: 13 FRS -399lb, 11 335is, 05 Tiburon
Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Hahahaha!

I picked the FR-S because I hate the GT86.

Build Thread | The Venus Project | Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote