follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OFT-Help with Romraider/FFS and Launch Control-issues

I need help with flat foot shifting and launch control. I currently have both setup right now, but there are two issues that keep coming up.

The first, is launch control. I currently have it set at 4k rpm, and set to disable at 10mph. If I am stopped in the car, with the car in neutral (not pushing on the clutch) and I step on the gas (wot), it goes straight to 4k and sits there...which is what it should do, however, it does this whether or not I am stepping on the clutch-I though LC should only be enabled when full throttle AND stepping on the clutch. The only potential issue here (I think) is that I can't be cool and rev to 7k while in neutral. Pretty minor issue. However, when I'm cruising on the highway (going, say 60pmh) and I step on the clutch and floor it, the rpm's go to 5k(which it should, since the way launch control is configured in the computer by redline (minus) XXXX)-but, I'm going over 10mph, so why did it engage?. Again, while on the highway If I dont step on the clutch, and I floor it, the car will rev to 7k. SOOO...Isn't this supposed to be the way the car/rpm's respond when I'm stopped-and not on the highway? When I'm stopped or below 10mph, it should allow me to rev to 7k, unless I am stepping on the clutch, and then it should go to whatever my preset launch rpm is, and if I'm going over 10mph, it shouldn't engage at all.

The second issue is bigger for me (but I think it has to do with launch control). I have flat foot shift/wot shift/no lift shift enabled, and there are two things that affect me. The first, is when going wot and shifting. If I'm approaching 7k rpms, and I upshift to the next gear, there is a pause in power (which it should), but then a .5 second delay or so before power comes back on. Great, thats what it should do. HOWEVER, during this time the car drops to 5k...which brings me back to my launch control issue. Because launch control doesn't seem to be disabled over 10mph, when I flat foot shift, the car thinks it should be in "launch mode"(because it see's full throttle and depressed clutch) and brings the rpms to 5k (and yes, I understand my rpms will drop while shifting lol) but it makes the engine go from 7k rpms, to 5k rpms to whatever rpm based on my gear and speed. This makes for a pretty jerky wot shift. I also run into this issue when downshifting before a turn. For example, I'll be in 3rd gear full throttle, and as I approach the corner, brake, clutch, blip the gas and downshift to 2nd, release the clutch and go back to wot. Once I got wot in 2nd, there is a .5 or so second delay before power is delivered-leading me to think its an issue with flat foot shift enabled, or the launch control issue I touched on before. This is an issue because the power gets applied at a different time than I expect, and will occasionally upset the balance of the car.
Sorry for a long post/semi confusing questions, but hopefully someone can help me out on this topic. I realize this might be confusing, but its a weird glitch/issue and I dont know how else to explain it.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
To be honest, that was a big wall of text to read so I will just outline how these functions are supposed to work. I tried to read it 3 times and couldn't focus long enough.

LC:

When the car is stationary or below the LC speed (which you say is set to 10mph) the car will impose a secondary rev limit which is equal to the original rev limit minus the LC Delta. When you pass the LC Speed, the car will rev to its normal rev limit. This works independent of clutch position or gear state. Our 2011 Grand Cherokee actually works like this and it is an auto.

FFS: This is a 3rd Rev limit imposed by the clutch position. When the clutch is depressed, the new rev limit becomes the one set for FFS. This works independent of vehicle speed.

If I am reading your first paragraph correctly, what you are experiencing is happening because you have LC Delta = 3600 and FFS Delta = 2600. Try rolling drop it in gear while cruising above 10mph and put it in nuetral with the clutch out (foot off the pedal) and it should rev out to the redline.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
This is my understanding of launch control & FFS

It pretty basic implementation of launch control and FFS

I have not used FFS but have LC enabled only

ie if your car is doing less than the disable speed (10) then it will only rev to the RPM you set in LC parameters ie redline- LC setting = rpm. I don't believe their is any interaction with clutch switch for launch control its just speed and RPM.

I think the reason your car revs to 5000 rpm on highway with clutch in is the car is using the FFS parameters not the LC parameters as you are over the disable speed for LC. (FFS uses clutch switch wheras LC does,t)

So it looks like you have your FFS delta set to 2600 rpm so in FFS mode with clutch in it hold rpm at 5000 (redline-FFS delta). Again it probably a simple implementation of FFS designed for upshift only.

Personally I would just disable FFS.

Basicly I agree with @Luckrider above
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'll be be first to admit my disdain for flatfoot shift. Maybe it has merits in drag racing with a turbo kit since it will prevent boost from discharging between shifts. But for the other 99.99% of applications, it does sacrifice drivability due to false triggering from having your left foot sometimes rest on or brush against the clutch pedal.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (04-18-2014), AdrianG (03-06-2014), Luckrider (03-06-2014), wparsons (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
hamzam
Proud dad of 2 boys :)

Drives: Firestorm 6-MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
I need help with flat foot shifting and launch control. I currently have both setup right now, but there are two issues that keep coming up.
I understood your post completely, haha.. mostly because I've had the same exact issue (revving to redline) but you took the time to word it out :p

As Steve99 stated, LC is triggered by Vehicle Speed; FFS is triggered by the Clutch Sensor.

Launch Control I've had no problems with, it works as it should, you don't have to be at WOT for it to engage. Mine is set to 3,400rpm. Past 10mph, it does not engage, as expected.

Flat-Foot Shifting, on the other hand... needs some finessing: you have to find the right RPM for it to engage at depending on how you drive. I've set it to 5,000rpm.

Ideally, if you are at WOT and shift at max RPM, (mine being 7,600rpm), you want the RPM's to hover right around where the next gear will engage.

Your description of loss in power is EXACTLY how I experience it while shifting at WOT. There is a "digitized bog".

HOWEVER, when going WOT and not lifting the off the clutch (thus a flat foot shift) while shifting at the FFS rpm (for me) 5,000rpm.... the shifts are INSTANt with absolutely no bog in power. I feel like a human DCT. No one would believe that there was a manual transmission in my car from the sound alone.

This leads me to believe that the FFS delta should be a bit lower, meaning be set to a higher RPM. I have a ROM with edited to a 6,000rpm FFS setting, but I have yet to test it out.
hamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
hamzam
Proud dad of 2 boys :)

Drives: Firestorm 6-MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I'll be be first to admit my disdain for flatfoot shift. Maybe it has merits in drag racing with a turbo kit since it will prevent boost from discharging between shifts. But for the other 99.99% of applications, it does sacrifice drivability due to false triggering from having your left foot sometimes rest on or brush against the clutch pedal.
It's still fun

I also have a suspicion that shifting "too fast" will cause this. When I shift "casually", there is no powerloss, but a "blip-blip" or "blip".

When doing a FFS but at the delta, there is no blip, just sounds like an auto engaging the next gear.
hamzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzam View Post
HOWEVER, when going WOT and not lifting the off the clutch (thus a flat foot shift)
Do you mean "and not lifting off the throttle"?
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Do you mean "and not lifting off the throttle"?
I'm assuming he must have
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #9
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
I'm assuming he must have
I imagined a noob shifting without pushing the clutch, having it work, and deciding that's the way to shift when racing

Hoping he will edit the post so that doesn't happen
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Sounds like an OFT glitch..these functions work great with ecutek. FFS are super smooth and fast and I've never had either function trigger without intending it to. I don't have auto blip downshift enabled as I've heard horror stories there (plus I prefer to double clutch downshifts) but those are the only issues I've heard of. Not trying to make this ecutek vs oft at all, just sharing my experience with the features as I like them both and they work well.