follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #85
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
UMMMMM your hypocrisy is showing there Side! Your whole statement above is dripping in fanboyism.
I know I know those are "facts" so not fanboy material.
Some opinions mixed with things pretty widely regarded to be the general consensus. Obviously, the fact that it's "more exciting" is my opinion and whether or not someone likes the sound of an engine will always be subjective, but most of what I said is pretty widely regarded as true.

It's just annoying seeing the same old dumb comments over and over "oh, the S2000 doesn't have great feel"..... come on, give me a break. It still has very, very sharp reflexes, double wishbone suspension, almost no body roll, excellent turn-in....... and obviously "feel" changes drastically when you go with wider tires & more sticky tire compounds. It's a rather weak argument. It's similar to people going around saying the 86 isn't worth it due to the low power and basic, economy-ish front strut + rear multilink design. It's not that simple.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #86
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Some opinions mixed with things pretty wildly regarded to be the general consensus. Obviously, the fact that it's "more exciting" is my opinion and whether or not someone likes the sound of an engine will always be subjective, but most of what I said is pretty widely regarded as true.

It's just annoying seeing the same old dumb comments over and over "oh, the S2000 doesn't have great feel"..... come on, give me a break. It still has very, very sharp reflexes, double wishbone suspension, almost no body roll, excellent turn-in....... and obviously "feel" changes drastically when you go with wider tires & more sticky tire compounds. It's a rather weak argument. It's similar to people going around saying the 86 isn't worth it due to the low power and basic, economy-ish front strut + rear multilink design. It's not that simple.
FR-S is prettier.

Sorry, I'm biased/fanboi. I've never cared about the S2000. Honestly, I won't even consider it as a replacement for the FR-S because I just don't want one. I don't like convertibles and I probably wouldn't fit regardless. Would I drive one given a chance? Sure, why not? I don't doubt it's greatness. I'm sure you and everyone that loves them are quite correct. It's popular, right? Those sorts of things don't matter to me.

And before you go, "but hey, if you don't like convertibles, why do you like the Miata?" I'll just say I like the way the Miata looks, plus I'm a Mazda fanboi. But yes, I'd still rather it were a coupe.

And no fighting in my thread! Everyone is a friend here.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM   #87
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
FR-S is prettier.

Sorry, I'm biased/fanboi. I've never cared about the S2000. Honestly, I won't even consider it as a replacement for the FR-S because I just don't want one. I don't like convertibles and I probably wouldn't fit regardless. Would I drive one given a chance? Sure, why not? I don't doubt it's greatness. I'm sure you and everyone that loves them are quite correct. It's popular, right? Those sorts of things don't matter to me.

And before you go, "but hey, if you don't like convertibles, why do you like the Miata?" I'll just say I like the way the Miata looks, plus I'm a Mazda fanboi. But yes, I'd still rather it were a coupe.

And no fighting in my thread! Everyone is a friend here.
Meh. Car "enthusiasts" are strange. Looks and "swag" vs. dynamics, engineering quality, and fun. =P

Looks are always subjective. I think all 3 are good looking..... I also think the FD RX7 and S15 are equally, if not more, good looking.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #88
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Some opinions mixed with things pretty widely regarded to be the general consensus. Obviously, the fact that it's "more exciting" is my opinion and whether or not someone likes the sound of an engine will always be subjective, but most of what I said is pretty widely regarded as true.

Edit! OH and don't read this in an angry tone. I am not.
I have never driven one and the probability that I will is remote so I can not debate the feels. People not liking something does not make their statement a "dumb comment". Who exactly is the "general consensus" taken from? S2000 owners? Hardly an reliable consensus if so.
If you want to call every person that argues the merits of their car whether you agree or not a "fanboy" (which I have always understood to be s derogatory and insulting term) then you should not throw the term around while arguing the merits of your own car. It flows both ways.
KR-S (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #89
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,543 Times in 18,939 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's just annoying seeing the same old dumb comments over and over "oh, the S2000 doesn't have great feel"..... come on, give me a break.
Ah but is it a dumb comment? I haven't driven one but I know a few former and current owners who will say exactly the same thing. This is familiar territory for me.

Is it possible that you are projecting your own priorities onto others' expressed opinions and then lashing out because someone doesn't see it your way? Everyone has different priorities.

I can just as easily admit that my 'feels' comment comes with a little dose of jealousy because I've never had the pleasure. I've been butthurt about not being able to fit into a Miata since before they made it to the mainland. I was on Guam when they first came out and they were dirt, I mean dirt cheap. I wanted one so badly I could taste it. I've been waiting for the frs since, what, 1987?

Different strokes, man. Now, bring it here. Let's hug it out.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #90
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Edit! OH and don't read this in an angry tone. I am not.
I have never driven one and the probability that I will is remote so I can not debate the feels. People not liking something does not make their statement a "dumb comment". Who exactly is the "general consensus" taken from? S2000 owners? Hardly an reliable consensus if so.
If you want to call every person that argues the merits of their car whether you agree or not a "fanboy" (which I have always understood to be s derogatory and insulting term) then you should not throw the term around while arguing the merits of your own car. It flows both ways.
The general consensus among people who have owned or driven both vehicles........ not the people repeating things they've heard on the internet without driving it. =P There are even videos and long articles about it by members on this forum.
Tcoat (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #91
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Ah but is it a dumb comment? I haven't driven one but I know a few former and current owners who will say exactly the same thing. This is familiar territory for me.

Is it possible that you are projecting your own priorities onto others' expressed opinions and then lashing out because someone doesn't see it your way? Everyone has different priorities.

I can just as easily admit that my 'feels' comment comes with a little dose of jealousy because I've never had the pleasure. I've been butthurt about not being able to fit into a Miata since before they made it to the mainland. I was on Guam when they first came out and they were dirt, I mean dirt cheap. I wanted one so badly I could taste it. I've been waiting for the frs since, what, 1987?

Different strokes, man. Now, bring it here. Let's hug it out.
How big are you guys? just out of curiosity. The S2K cabin is small, yeah, but not insanely small..... it's bigger than previous gen Miatas. Not sure about the ND, haven't driven one yet.

Why 1987? The 240sx was sold in the U.S. through 1998! :P
Old 01-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #92
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
The general consensus among people who have owned or driven both vehicles........ not the people repeating things they've heard on the internet without driving it. =P There are even videos and long articles about it by members on this forum.
I can think of a few who fit your description. Not naming names though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #93
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
How big are you guys? just out of curiosity. The S2K cabin is small, yeah, but not insanely small..... it's bigger than previous gen Miatas. Not sure about the ND, haven't driven one yet.

Why 1987? The 240sx was sold in the U.S. through 1998! :P
6'5" I bought a 240Z immediately after I returned stateside. Drove it for 11 years.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #94
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
6'5" I bought a 240Z immediately after I returned stateside. Drove it for 11 years.
Ok, 6'5" is pretty large. lol. I'm 5'11"...
Ultramaroon (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #95
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm 6'3" and the FR-S is surprisingly comfortable. I ordered my lease sight unseen, actually. So I was pretty nervous.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #96
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I'm 6'3" and the FR-S is surprisingly comfortable. I ordered my lease sight unseen, actually. So I was pretty nervous.
If only... :/ I've crinkled up part of my headliner wearing a helmet and that's with leaning back at a ridiculous angle. Still, I love it. It is quite comfortable otherwise and I have no problem driving it for 12+ hours at a time.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #97
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
He is freakishly large.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #98
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
He is freakishly large.