follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 PM   #10753
dtek

Drives: 86 A00I
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Follow up: I checked inside the controller and the 30A fuse looks fine, and no obvious burnt components or damage.
I checked the dump batts, separately both are showing 13.1v on my multimeter, and when linked 26.2v shows when measured at the terminals and at the end of the cable where it joins to the controller. With them also being new Im thinking they're not the issue.
Found 1 bullet connector in the 3 wires going to the brushless motor which had seized with some dark coating build up so I've cleaned that and plugged it back together but pretty sure it's not the problem.

Bypassed the procede (ie, used the throttle switch from original set up) and it made no difference. I think it's not procede related.

When I arm the Phantom there's a series of beeps which might be indicating the problem. When I do the same with one of the bullet connectors unplugged it only beeps once. I'll edit this post with 2 videos to show what I mean.
Anyone able to decipher what 4 quick, 1 slow, pause, then 5 slow beeps means?
How many beeps is it supposed to make when all is perfectly functioning?

Last edited by dtek; 01-18-2020 at 12:30 AM.
dtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #10754
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
Follow up: I checked inside the controller and the 30A fuse looks fine, and no obvious burnt components or damage.
I checked the dump batts, separately both are showing 13.1v on my multimeter, and when linked 26.2v shows when measured at the terminals and at the end of the cable where it joins to the controller. With them also being new Im thinking they're not the issue.
Found 1 bullet connector in the 3 wires going to the brushless motor which had seized with some dark coating build up so I've cleaned that and plugged it back together but pretty sure it's not the problem.

Bypassed the procede (ie, used the throttle switch from original set up) and it made no difference. I think it's not procede related.

When I arm the Phantom there's a series of beeps which might be indicating the problem. When I do the same with one of the bullet connectors unplugged it only beeps once. I'll edit this post with 2 videos to show what I mean.
Anyone able to decipher what 4 quick, 1 slow, pause, then 5 slow beeps means?
How many beeps is it supposed to make when all is perfectly functioning?

I'm fairly certain one of my videos may have the boot sequence but you should have some sort of beeps for it to set abaseline at startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #10755
dtek

Video with the series of beeps

Video with deliberately unplugged wire to the brushless motor as a test - only one quick beep
Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #10756
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
That sounds just like mine. First that melody then beep, pause then 5 more beeps. It sounds like it is booting up fine

If you can't figure out anything, I would still suggest doing a bench test like this:

If you are sure it is something with the phantom itself, I would try to spin the compressor by hand to make sure it isn't binding first. It gets pretty tough from there. Someone posted pictures before that I saved but they don't have any cable or connector orientation, so I don't know what I am looking at. I haven't opened the control box myself, and with no schematic I can't tell you exactly where to check, but my next step would be to check if the main relay is closing when you push the switch. Relays have moving parts and sticking/corroded contacts so IMO are the most likely to go bad out of nowhere as you said it was working fine then just stopped.

It's some serious current running to/from the dump packs, so they have to be routed through thick cables and a relay that is triggered by the foot switch (somehow). It could be a direct connection or through an integrated circuit. In the pictures I have, there is a relay in the top left (circled in red). It also looks like two thick black wires with spade terminals going over it, "may" run to power the motor. If you have a Voltmeter, measure between the two large connectors on the relay. (you could also try the two black cables) If you are on the correct spot it should measure the ~28Vdc. Have someone trigger the switch. And If the relay is working, the voltage should drop. If it doesn't or barely goes down, you can measure across the small terminals to see if the relay is getting the trigger signal, and go from there.

From the generic brushless motor schematic I found. The three phase wires going to the motor should run into a bank of 6 transistors, labeled pwm (pulse width modulator). The main input power for those pwms "should" be from thick wires coming from a relay. (possibly those two black wires mentioned before).

This is all just guess work on my part, and hopefully you don't have to rip it apart. (and hopefully I'm not making a fool out of myself)
dtek (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 06:20 AM   #10757
dtek

Thanks for all that info, here's the inside of my controller as a comparison point.
The added vacuum sensor for drag reduction on mine makes me assume the prior image is from a v1.0 as mine is a v1.5.

https://imgur.com/u4d5tHw

The Following User Says Thank You to dtek For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #10758
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'll try not to pretend like I know what any of this is (I'm mechanical, not electrical). Those solder connections look pretty janky, like a high probability for arcing under load.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #10759
Carsnguitars

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All this sounds like the same issues mine has. My controller box looks like the one @Target70 posted. That small circuit board at the top of the pic that has the three little leds on it should slide out of there. On it is a test switch, with each push of the switch cycling through full speed, half speed, and back to off. With the system fully assembled and armed mine will run, but never with the foot switch. And yet, continuity and resistance checks on the footswitch harness check out. I acquired a proceed controller hoping that may get me past the footswitch control, but I don't have a wiring harness for it and have not been able to test that theory. And from what @dtek is saying, that's not the answer either. The whole thing has been in a box for a while now hoping to find someone that might understand what the problem is. To my thinking this stuff is not unlike a smaller radio control system. Someone should be able to suss it out, but I haven't found them yet.
Carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carsnguitars For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 AM   #10760
BlOody_BoOger

Drives: Hot lava FRS Monogram Charizard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is that black wire loose? Did you cut that on purpose?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
BlOody_BoOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #10761
dtek

I've noticed today that when I start the car after it's been parked multiple hours I can usually get 1-2 normal boost events before the same issue reappears and from that point on it's non functional.

Maybe this is some sort of heat related issue?
I recall reading here that on the track the controller can go into some sort of self protection mode from overheating, is it anything like my symptoms?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #10762
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlOody_BoOger View Post
Is that black wire loose? Did you cut that on purpose?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
That picture looks like the one I posted that I got from someone trying to troubleshoot their problem. If I remember correctly that black wire was said to go to the cooling fan, and the solder joint just broke when they were inspecting it.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #10763
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It still amazes me how there are over 2 and a half million views for a product that is no longer available.

WTF?

I just don't understand.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #10764
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Unfortunately in this particular case demand wasn't able to drive offer, due personal choices of monopolistic vendor of later . Yet potential users/customers still hasn't lost hope and keep visiting thread occasionally hoping to see making restarted, or reverse engineered/alternatively developed similar product by someone else.
Big view count simply as indicator of how well ESC did fit needs of many, available or not, thus keeping hopes (&counts/views) up.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Aztec (01-22-2020), DAEMANO (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 04:20 PM   #10765
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtek View Post
I've noticed today that when I start the car after it's been parked multiple hours I can usually get 1-2 normal boost events before the same issue reappears and from that point on it's non functional.

Maybe this is some sort of heat related issue?
I recall reading here that on the track the controller can go into some sort of self protection mode from overheating, is it anything like my symptoms?
Hey man,

I've probably dealt with that high voltage reading the most at least publicly on this forum. I can say with fairly high certainty that it is related to your battery array.
SPECIFICALLY the metal connector between the positive on the far battery and the negative on the middle battery.
Take your array apart and sand/grind the shit out of the metal connector, make it NICE and clean along with any new bolts etc to verify there's no corrosion.

What's happening is there IS a connection, but it's shitty. Hence it works a couple times and stops. (so frustrating to have a system in place and have it work so intermittently)

If anyone is interested I have a working system that i'm willing to part with for cheap along with a procede controller. Willing to sell it all for ~$1000 obo
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #10766
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Hey man,

I've probably dealt with that high voltage reading the most at least publicly on this forum. I can say with fairly high certainty that it is related to your battery array.
SPECIFICALLY the metal connector between the positive on the far battery and the negative on the middle battery.
Take your array apart and sand/grind the shit out of the metal connector, make it NICE and clean along with any new bolts etc to verify there's no corrosion.

What's happening is there IS a connection, but it's shitty. Hence it works a couple times and stops. (so frustrating to have a system in place and have it work so intermittently)

If anyone is interested I have a working system that i'm willing to part with for cheap along with a procede controller. Willing to sell it all for ~$1000 obo
To piggyback off this. My WMI failsafe had started working somewhat intermittently and progressively getting worse. Basically Kept triggering a false fail-safe. Anyways the issue turned out to be the spot that i was grounding to had started to kind of corrode and rust a little. Took a long time to trouble shoot this because it really didn’t even look bad but i sanded it clean and reground and throughly covered the ground wire/ground point that was exposed with electrical tape to prevent water rust/corrosion. Long story short its been back to working flawlessly for over 2 months with zero triggers. Before it would trigger 5 times a day. So make sure all grounds, connections, conductive points etc.. that are exposed to the elements are not losing connection from rust and corrosion being in the engine bay.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
dtek (01-22-2020)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive